It seems for as long as I've had a halfway decent Blackberry, SocialScope has been in private beta. People on here make trades for invites. A quick look on threads and it's been discussed for over 18 months. 18 Months! That was two Blackberrys ago!

So today, I realized that I quit caring about it. For me, SocialScope blew whatever hype that they had for their product and when it goes into wide release, a lot of people will ignore it because existing products do nearly the same thing.

To me, it doesn't matter if the next version of SocialScope will automatically cook me dinner or make me beer. The ship has sailed, much like Duke Nukem Forever.
    09-05-10 02:44 PM
    Uh, am I the only one who still uses the official Blackberry social applications?
    I had SocialScope on my S1, it was horrible.
    09-05-10 03:17 PM
    I use the Rim apps too, I wasn't too impressed with ss.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-05-10 03:37 PM
    Another vote for RIM Social Apps. They serve me fine, and I feel they're more visually appealing than popular alternatives; eg. Twitter for BlackBerry vs. UberTwitter.
    09-05-10 03:44 PM
    I tried using the VodaFone version and it worked nicely for updates, just could not scroll since it was designed for the 9000 and some other useless berry. Not my 9550. Could not change the compatibility mode and when I was able to change it I still was not able to scroll. I would gladly use a 600K file over 1 @ 1.4MB and 1 @ 900K any day of the week. I have since kept the RIM apps on my device but will get rid of em to save space.
    09-05-10 03:44 PM
    I use twitter for BlackBerry and OpenBeak for Twitter, the Linkedin app for Linkedin, Facebook for BlackBerry for Facebok and Vodafone Update for all three. VU is ok but as it's not made for the 8520 it chops bits off the beggining of Facebook comments, but it's ok as it's handy for getting feed updates all in one place without having to open each individual app.

Roland

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    09-05-10 04:34 PM
    i use ubertwitter cuz i love the way it looks and all the extra features but i have to tell you that i recently downloaded the Vodafone Update app and i love it and it works great on my 9650. it gives me twitter and facebook updates but doesnt have as many features. i really like it. also with VU i'm having trouble logging into my twitpic account dont know what the issue could be. now that i have VU i've given up on SS.
    09-05-10 07:26 PM
    I have SS and quite honestly I prefer the BB Fb app and UT or BB Twitter. If UT hadn't changed it UI I probably would have never bought it.
    09-05-10 09:05 PM
    Once upon a time, I too was curious about SS. I could care less if they were to finally release it to the public.

09-05-10 10:20 PM
    Only reason I use socialscope is because it leaves you at last viewed status. Bb fb and the mobile site won't do that. I don't use it for twitter

09-05-10 11:22 PM
    Lost interest too - that is the problem with long leaked periods - we discover other ways to do what the app does - fail

09-06-10 01:30 AM
    My opinion is this, if you know its a beta system and not willing to dig deep inside the guts of the app and report back negative/positive/new fresh ideas. Then why ask to try it out? There are many user's who expect miracles/perfection with this app but in all honesty, not one single app will be that way.

The word "beta" should of been a deal breaker for most but it seems as if everyone thinks that having SocialScope is a royalty or something. If your not willing to participate in a beta operation and to give feedback directly to the devs (don't even waste time posting issues on CB cause they most likely don't check it and yea) don't use the app.

I have been a beta tester for non-apps/technology equipment and I would always send the person in charge of whatever I was beta testing feedback even on the small issues and what not. That is the only way for that person/dev/company and etc to gain knowledge about what to fix/replace or come up with a whole new concept.

Again, this is just my opinion on this issue/thread. This is in no way meant to be a flame to anyone at all, just my opinion.

Thnx, �Tripster�

09-06-10 02:20 AM
    I was too a little annoyed. I have been waiting for about 6 months. But now, I couldn't care less.

I prefer twitter for blackberry too.

09-06-10 04:11 AM
    You mean it still hasn't been officially released???

09-06-10 04:55 AM
    Once upon a time, I too was curious about SS. I could care less if they were to finally release it to the public.
    +1. This one took too long that its almost irrelevant. As far as "delayed gratification" goes, these folks actually make Microsoft look good.

IMO the individual RIM apps for FB, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc are all fine for me.

Two apps I use for consolidation:
    - Vodafone Update for updates (FB, Twitter, etc)
    - Trillian (Astra?) for chat/IM (mainly to enable FB chat)

I'll give SS a look if/when it decides to go GA, but am not holding my breath...
    09-06-10 07:08 AM
    Not only would it not let me delete a legacy Twitter account I had stopped using, but, when I upgraded -- at their urging -- to the newest version, it would not let me login.

What the **** is that about? And why can't I log in to the upgraded version they prompted me to "trade up" to? I've been a SS user since summer 2008, this is ridiculous.
    09-07-10 10:48 PM
    I use socialscope. I admit I did feel like royalty when I got the invite. Some of that feeling has faded but not all of it.

I still love SocialScope, having all of my social networks in one app is a great option for me. I like how it's setup, and it runs pretty well. Yeah I run into bugs and other problems but I won't cry about it. I uninstall, battery pull, re install battery pull.. If that does not fix it, I send in feed back and tell them what I had to do to fix it. I will remain a SocialScope user for a long time unless they either give up or do something reaallly wrong.
    09-08-10 07:18 AM
    I've installed, deleted and reinstalled SS several times thinking that I'm missing something with all the people raving about it. I've finally come to the conclusion that the app is just not very good and the RIM FB app and UberTwitter are much better for me.

I wish I could've figured this out without using my invite.
    09-08-10 09:24 AM
    I've installed, deleted and reinstalled SS several times thinking that I'm missing something with all the people raving about it. I've finally come to the conclusion that the app is just not very good and the RIM FB app and UberTwitter are much better for me.

I wish I could've figured this out without using my invite.
    Same thing here. It's a nice app, but I got tired of manipulating around the tabs to view twitter, FB, etc. And since I follow people/places on both networks, I saw a lot of repetitive posts in one timeline pretty often. Even though there's lots to be said in favor of having an all-in-one application, I found that dedicated apps for twitter and FB work best for me. My only indecision right now is between UT and T4BB...keep changing my mind concerning twitter apps!
    09-08-10 09:32 AM
    I used to be a big fan of SS - until this new release drained my battery. I had all my settings set correctly so I could avoid battery drainage. Now I'm back to UT.

09-08-10 10:02 AM
    yea my buddy had it and it would send a status to all of his social networking sites he was on.....really? lol do we need that many updates on your life 7 times lol
    im perfectly happy with facebook and twitter for blackberry and not to mention trillian that app rocks
    09-08-10 10:19 AM
    Lol slappyking. One benefit to that is your buddy may have friends that a either only use facebook, or b only use twitter.. Updating all at once is a convenient option to stay connected and update his other friends. :P
    09-08-10 10:29 AM
    Man Socialscope takes so much longer to view pictures compared to the mobile web. I tested and takes 10-12 seconds average to load one pic on Socialscope. The mobile browser takes 4 seconds tops

09-08-10 10:24 PM
    It's very slow loading avatars as well, even after they've been cached.
    09-09-10 06:31 AM
    Small price to pay (for me at least) to keep all my stuff connected in one :P
    09-09-10 08:42 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD