Fellow Crackheads !

Digital Cyclone/Garmin/Handmark have just released a weather app for us !

My-Cast Weather for Blackberry

I used this app on my old i530 cell phone and really loved it ... I made contact with Russ Knuth at Garmin and just checked back with him up to this release time ... good man who answered back within 8 hours ! Props to Russ !

I am doing the D/L OTA shortly so will keep all posted ...

Geech
    Last edited by GeechDahwa; 04-20-09 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Duhhh ... just Dih dih-dih
    04-20-09 11:12 AM
    Please let us know how it works and how user friendly it is. I am using weather eye and weather bug, and weather eye seems to be a pretty decent interface. I can't get WB moved from my download folder
    To my home screen, the menu key does nothing.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-20-09 11:40 AM
    Looks like a cool app.

I just use my Local News Center's Mobile Website (NBC6.net) for Miami Beach as it gives me a full detailed map with animated radar / hurricane / weather alerts / Cone of Hurricane Path .. etc .. for free which is the same as this app for $4.

Plus this My-Cast app only updates every hour.. my local news / weather updates every 10 minutes and for my beach business staying on top of the weather is paramount for me.

Good find though for those that dont have it as good as with my local news website..
    04-20-09 03:05 PM
    Looks like a cool app.

I just use my Local News Center's Mobile Website (NBC6.net) for Miami Beach as it gives me a full detailed map with animated radar / hurricane / weather alerts / Cone of Hurricane Path .. etc .. for free which is the same as this app for $4.

Plus this My-Cast app only updates every hour.. my local news / weather updates every 10 minutes and for my beach business staying on top of the weather is paramount for me.

Good find though for those that dont have it as good as with my local news website..
    Ahh... pretty cool idea. I will have to check if my local station does the same.
    Beach job???,.... If your hiring, I'm there.
    04-20-09 05:20 PM
    Ahh... pretty cool idea. I will have to check if my local station does the same.
    Beach job???,.... If your hiring, I'm there.
    Yeah check all your local news stations all mine here have some animated weather deal for the mobiles but the one I mentioned has the best for my area..

I have a Jetski Rentals / Parasailing / Beach Chair & Umbrella Rental Concessions along the beach .. actually at the moment full staff ..people kill for a job that pays good $ and health bennys to play on the beach all day.
    04-20-09 05:41 PM
    never thought of that and its an awesome idea!
    04-20-09 05:49 PM
    Yes, do use anything local that helps you ... so far this App is all I expected and like an old friend. The radar is updated every 10 to 15 minutes, forecasts every hour updated...I can still store all my locations by zip code ( I have quite a few running up and down the East Coast ) and theres a fun little area where you can post your current weather conditions and your mood ... I like it and am pleased with the App now for my BB ...

PS : I have slain the threadjack ! The main topic lives on !
    04-20-09 07:06 PM
    Yes, do use anything local that helps you ... so far this App is all I expected and like an old friend. The radar is updated every 10 to 15 minutes, forecasts every hour updated...I can still store all my locations by zip code ( I have quite a few running up and down the East Coast ) and theres a fun little area where you can post your current weather conditions and your mood ... I like it and am pleased with the App now for my BB ...

PS : I have slain the threadjack ! The main topic lives on !
    O.K. Geech...I tried to download and it said my device cannot open it. I wanted to do the 3 day trial. Which one do I use? And can I do it through the phone OTA? Looks like something I'd like but I need to get it to try it first! Thanks!
    04-20-09 07:35 PM
    Cookie, let me look around their site and I will edit repost here ... I fear that you MAY be only to three day free the app if you have an iPhone or Palm ... will check ...

Edit : Okay cookie, it does seem that the 3 day trial is for the "other" phones and thats why you cant open it. I suggest going to the My-Cast site and trying the free web weather offered there on your PC ... hope this helps ...

Last edited by GeechDahwa; 04-21-09 at 11:00 AM. Reason: added more info and results
    04-21-09 10:35 AM
    I'll check it out, Geech - thanks for your time and trouble!
    04-21-09 03:21 PM
    I'll check it out, Geech - thanks for your time and trouble!

Nooo problem ... any time !

04-21-09 03:30 PM
    Does it work, It shows on thier web site that our phone is not supported at this time
    05-20-09 10:22 PM
    Slim, lemme get some of this blood out of my java system and I will get you the version numbers and info ... will edit this response for you to refer back to ...

Okay ... info as follows ... Ver 7.0.12. My point of contact has been Russ Knuth so he can hlep you too from the Garmin/Digital Cyclone/Handmark side. Hope this helps you and everyone out.

Last edited by GeechDahwa; 05-21-09 at 07:56 AM. Reason: Got the info for Slim
    05-21-09 07:44 AM
    Please let us know how it works and how user friendly it is. I am using weather eye and weather bug, and weather eye seems to be a pretty decent interface. I can't get WB moved from my download folder
    To my home screen, the menu key does nothing.

Had that problem too. Download something else and then it'll move. Weird I know. A theme switch and back might also work.

05-22-09 08:08 PM
    I use it on my BOLD. Comes in handy with my environmental job- especially now with Hurricane season starting soon.
    05-22-09 08:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD