The building I work in doesn't have the best coverage and I mainly use my Storm for the PIM functions during work hours since it is not a company phone. By the time I would leave work my batter would be almost dead so I created an app that will turn the cell radios on and off between work hours so the phone isn't constantly looking for a signal, but I can still get my messages. I have also added detection for the holster sensor so you can optionally set the device to only cycle the radio when it is in the holster and turn the radio back on when removed from the holster. My question is how many others would be interested in the same type of application and would you be willing to pay the app world 2.99 minimum for such an app.
    06-20-09 10:15 AM
    sounds cool, but to be honest, i leave a charger at work (as do some of my other fellow crackberryites), but i'm sure for others this will be an invaluable app.

you can always sell it on crackberry, not just app world that was you can sell it for less, if you wanted to
    06-20-09 11:24 AM
    I thought about selling on crackberry, but I was reading mobihand's terms and it looks their minimum is 3.95.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-20-09 11:41 AM
    Hmm.. not much interest. Guess I'll keep this one for myself.
    06-22-09 05:47 PM
    Wait, hold on.....
    I just saw this thread!!!
    If you could do it for the Curve 8330 then I would be very interested in it.
    Any chance you could do that?
    06-22-09 06:32 PM
    Current version should work on 4.2 and higher.

06-22-09 06:45 PM
    And are you going to post a link? I sure would like to try this out..
    I work in a "battery eater" place myself & this would be great...
    Still get "messages"? Does that mean SMS? BBM's? Emails?
    Just curious b/c I can live without emails but need a way for ppl to get in touch with me in case of any emergency...
    06-22-09 06:51 PM
    Here's a screenshot:

The settings are accessed through the device settings menus. As you can see you can set different schedules for weekdays and the weekend. During the selected times, the device will automatically turn the cell radio off for the selected "Off Minutes" and then on for the selected "On Minutes" and continue to cycle between off and on until the end time is reached. Just set the on minutes to be long enough for your device to re-establish a connection and receive any waiting messages. (Should work with email, sms, bbm)

There is also a setting to "Cycle only while in holster". If you have a holster or case with the magnet that puts your device in standby, this will pause the cycle when the device is removed and turn on the radio so you can make a call, send a message, etc. Once you return the device to the case it will resume the cycle where it left off. I still need to finish some testing and then I will upload the app based on interest.
    06-22-09 07:43 PM
    I guess I'm the only one showing interest in your app.
    But please don't stop developing it b/c I don't think people know what you have going on here.
    It's just not buildings "where you work" but when you travel & get into some "no signal" or dead area's & the phone is constantly looking for a connection can drain a battery, also. Anyone who goes up to northern Michigan & around the sand dunes knows that reception is "iffy" at best, for example, but texts & BBM's get through even if you can't make a call, that is if your phone isn't dead.
    Good Luck & I do hope you continue with this project..
    06-23-09 06:33 AM
    Yeah, I keep my extra charger in my purse and have a car charger as well......
    06-23-09 06:38 AM
    Can't say I have a "need" for this kind of app, but I can see it, particularly for the weekends when I'm on foot more often than not and away from any kind of charger. Keep up the good work, this is a great idea.
    06-23-09 07:39 AM
    any good crackberry addict has MULTIPLE chargers.....
    everybody knows that
    06-23-09 07:51 AM
    Good Luck with your application --
    If you decide to share it then don't forget me! I do see the value of this app.
    I don't work in an office with multiple outlets nor are we allowed to carry extra batteries. It's just policy & I have to go by that or risk loosing my job.
    Like I said, Good Luck & please don't forget me if you want to share it, admsteck...
    06-23-09 02:03 PM
    Well, I'm not sure what to make of the responses. I was looking more for who would use this app, not everyone telling me that it is useless because they have ten chargers and five batteries. It lets me wait to charge until I plug it in at night. I will be continuing the development and testing for my own use as well as evaluating the best way to share what I have for those who are interested. If anyone else is interested please post here or monitor this thread so you can be notified when it is available.
    06-23-09 04:40 PM
    there is no limit on mobihand prices, you can go as low or as high as you want
    06-23-09 06:58 PM
    Definatley interested. Plain and simple.

06-23-09 07:32 PM
    I'm definitely still interested in this application.
    I just didn't want this to get lost in the shuffle.
    Hope your testing is going OK ....
    06-25-09 07:03 PM
    So far everything looks good. After tomorrow I have two weeks off so I will try to get something uploaded during that time.

06-25-09 07:17 PM
    Thanks for the reply & I will follow this thread to stay updated..
    Thank you....
    06-25-09 07:27 PM
    Dude, need to get a copy of that.
    06-26-09 07:28 AM
    I work in the basement of a three story building. Depending on where I lay the phone the signal varies from really good to nothing. I see merit in this app--will be watching this thread for updates.

Joe
    06-26-09 07:35 AM
    Mobihand lets you sell your app for as low as $0.99, or for free. They have eliminated their $3.95 floor. In fact, I am selling one of my apps for $0.99 myself.

06-26-09 02:13 PM
    Definitely interested in this for my 8330! I work on foot in very very secluded areas where I can't have a charger with me. Battery life is brutal, and I'd love to avoid carrying a second battery.
    06-29-09 12:58 AM
    For everyone interested, I hope to have this available by weeks end. I plan on starting out on Mobihand for 2.99 and eventually the App World.
    06-29-09 07:16 AM
    I would definitely be interested as well.. I work in a building that kills my battery every day!

I have an 8310... will it work with that?
    06-30-09 02:08 PM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD