This is a copy of a thread I made on the 8300 board. I should have placed it here in the first place, and since nobody responded over there, I am letting it get buried and wanted to try again...

This is the strangest thing. On my previous Curve, I downloaded MobiPocket Reader and was able to use it right away and never had any problems. During the time I had an At&t Tilt I was also able to use it without a hitch. Having come to like the app, I downloaded it to my new Curve tonight, only it won't let me access the bookstore.

One of two things happen:

1. I will choose either eBookstore, or My Account and it will start to load, it gets to 40% and stops, then it tells me that the server timed out. If I exit the program and try again, it starts out at 40% and almost instantly tells me it timed out.

2. I will start the same as above, only it will load to 40% and then it will open the menu and ask me which bookstore I want, I choose the MobiPocket bookstore and it goes back to the loading screen and instantly tells me it timed out.

I followed the "help" recommended fix given by MobiPocket and deleted my IPPP for 5 Click service book, then re-registered with the wireless network. All that did was remove my "Personal Email Set Up" icon, but did not fix the problem. I like having instant access to my BIS page from the device, so I just resent my service books and got my icon back, I figured that wasn't the problem since the fix followed by a battery pull didn't help.

I checked the TCP settings page and everything seems in order. It is currently listed as:
    APN: wap.cingular
    Username for APN: [email protected]
    Password for APN: ******* (I didn't set this password, and I have no idea what it is, so I don't want to mess with it)

All my other internet/email/mms functions work fine, and I can browse using both the BlackBerry Browser as well as the MEdia Net Browser, so I am hesitant to really mess with much more settings wise.

I also tried connecting to the bookstore with the BB Browser set as default, and the MEdia Net Browser set as default, neither worked. Finally, I manually set every possible permission to ALLOW.

Ok, the rundown:
    1. I have done a few battery pulls
    2. I followed the MobiPocket recommended fix
    3. I have tried both browsers as default
    4. I have opened all permissions
    5. I have resent service books, and I have re-registered with the network
    6. All other internet/mail/mms features work fine

So, anyone have any ideas? Maybe their service is just down?
    04-06-08 08:38 PM
    I am having the EXACT same problems and followed the same help page you did. All the other internet functionality works: web browser, gmail app, gtalk app, gsync app, etc. Mobipocket just can't connect to whatever it is trying to connect to. This can be one of two things:
    1. T-Mobile or the blackberry itself is blocking the request via some kind of firewalling rule or otherwise invalid routing, etc.
    OR
    2. The actual Mobipocket software is trying to connect to an invalid URL, or the URL it is trying to connect is having its own problems like a down server, too much traffic, or any number of other problems.

There may be something else but I can't think of it right now.

If anyone can help on this it sure would be nice to have!

Edit: This also happens on the 6.0.0.69 version as well.
    Last edited by ramgarden; 04-30-08 at 10:57 AM.
    04-09-08 08:56 AM
    I am having the same problem. The mobi bookstore loaded fine for a week and I could download and preview books. It stopped working and I have also gone to the help page and followed all directions. Did anyone find an way to solve this problem? I am a Verizon customer.
    09-07-08 05:03 PM
    I have a blackberry pearl 8100 on Tmobile's network and this is how I fixed it:

went to blackberry options -> advanced options -> TCP
    for the APN typed in: wap.voicestream.com
    left the username and password for APN blank.

saved changes then I exited back to the home screen.
    took out the battery, waited about 30 seconds and put it back it.
    After it booted back up and found the network, etc. I tried the mobipocket OTA bookstore and it worked. All the OTA functions worked as well like the account settings, etc.

Hope this helps somebody. If you are not on tmobile's network you may have to ask your customer service for the equivalent TCP settings like APN, username, and password.
    09-07-08 07:44 PM
    Ok, I use T-Mobile in Puerto Rico, and just added the APN setting, without resetting or pulling the battery, and Mobipocket connected without problems. Thanks for the tip!
    02-03-09 10:51 PM
    I have an 8320 with T-Mobile that had the same issues, but fixing the TCP settings worked. Thanks!
    06-13-09 03:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD