Hi all, blackberry newbie here I'm afraid. I was after a bit of advice about something if possible. I'm figuring out most things but am a bit confused when it comes to wifi, mobile internet and applications.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, as it was quite difficult to get info out of the tmobile guys!
    My data plan covers push email and wifi but not the mobile internet (Tmobs web n walk)

So am I correct in thinking...

Applications such as facebook and windows live messenger are free regardless of whether I'm covered by wifi or not, and don't cost me the web n walk costs as these are not on my plan? (this is what the tmob guy just told me but he didnt sound too sure)

Email is free to send and receive?

I can browse internet for free using wifi connection, but it will cost me using mobile internet connection?

Also, can anyone tell me the symbol for when you're connected to web and walk, because although I'm mostly using the phone in wifi areas for internet purposes I'm scared of accidentally using the phone in a non wifi area and then getting charged for the internet costs!

All help is much appreciated.

PS I do love my new blackberry - wish I'd got one years ago, they're great!
    12-05-09 05:43 AM
    If you have a dataplan allowing email etc, I would assume that it would also cover browsing too. Most plans certainly do. ALL data, should be covered in that. What tariff are you actually on?

Some carriers charge for streamed data, i.e youtube, and others also charge for chat clients MSN etc.

Long and short of it, with a data plan, email, BBM, standard browsing should all be inc.

Based on UK tariffs anyway lol.

Welcome to Blackberry ownership, its great.
    Add me on BBM if I can help with anything
    12-05-09 06:56 AM
    my BIS is $40 per month (limited up to 5MB per month) while my Mobile Plan is $80..

thus,
    for BB application i.e YM/Facebook/BB Messaging - these apps will be charged under BIS right? so, do i have to sign off these apps while i'm using them? i'm afraid i over utilised the usage

i still can use these application via home Wifi..i had switch off the radio (BIS &mobile service is turned off)...means during this, all apps and internet data will be free right???

how do we know that data usage will be charged under BIS or under Mobile Plan???
    12-06-09 08:13 AM
    You sound like you have one of those BIS Light plans that only cover email and some applications but don't allow you to browse. If it is so, you'll get a handful of social and IM apps that you can use 24/7 is you so want.

What I can think of right now, to keep you from incurring charges for browsing is setting the options browser to Hopspot browser and WiFi only. Now how you do that is actually beyond me as I never really found the WiFi only setting on my 8520...
    12-06-09 09:33 AM
    my BIS is $40 per month (limited up to 5MB per month) while my Mobile Plan is $80..

thus,
    for BB application i.e YM/Facebook/BB Messaging - these apps will be charged under BIS right? so, do i have to sign off these apps while i'm using them? i'm afraid i over utilised the usage

i still can use these application via home Wifi..i had switch off the radio (BIS &mobile service is turned off)...means during this, all apps and internet data will be free right???

how do we know that data usage will be charged under BIS or under Mobile Plan???
    What carrier is it that charges $40 for BIS but limits your usage to 5MB??? Friend, move away from them immediately!

Yes, apps like facebook and stuff do go over BIS. To save (data consumption AND battery life) do log out and close the apps after you finish using them.

You don't have to worry about charges if you turn the network connection off. Everything you can use over WiFi is free (thou you won't get calls/sms during that time).
    12-06-09 09:37 AM
    Sometimes BIS can be too confusing like here in malaysia, we have too many packages here and they're all sound like cheating the customers.
    12-07-09 09:16 AM
    here in Jersey, I pay �30 for mobile and full data cover. I can recieve calls and texts even if wifi is on along with my servers own cover. you need to go to main menu click on the wifi connections tab and make sure wifi is enabled.

Yahoo works ok except for full messenger, Facebook does though you cant chat and do the games ect. They are the only two I use except business email data.
    12-08-09 05:01 AM
    i'm currently living in malaysia, so many packages here..BIS plan is different with mobile plan..in order to enjoy the BIS, i've to pay $40 for BIS light plan plus another $80 for mobile service provider...really expensive right??

$40 is limited for 5MB..don't know whether its sufficent enough for me...

and yet, i'm still confusing if i browse internet, where the cost will be charged? BIS of Mobile Service?
    12-08-09 07:45 AM
    i think hazri should write the currency in Ringgit Malaysia ie RM40 for 5MB (where RM40 is around 12USD). so this will look better, i guess. however, that RM40 is the cheapest among our choices in malaysia. what to do?
    12-08-09 12:54 PM
    Look agreed! 40 dollars for 5mb allowance is simply plain crazy!

I'd call the carrier (Vodafone I tak it?) and explain you want the unlimited data plan for Blackberry, Blackberry Internet Service, which allows you for push email and BBM.

If you guys manage to work it out, please post how much you were charged. I am planning to email RIM... If Apple is removing 1000 apps from the store because of a concerned user's email, I bet RIM will be willing to listen to some free market research.
    12-08-09 01:53 PM
    hi all,
    I am considering buying my first blackberry (curve 8520) but i am extemley confused!
    I am gettiing it from the carphone warehouse on t-mobile monthly contract for 20 pounds per month. This includes 15 pound for unlimited texts and 300 mins and 5 pounds for internet. (im not sure what the internet thing includes)

1..Does this mean that all internet browsing will be free wifi or not?

2..Also, ive heard that apps such as facebook are free but are things such as browsing google to find football club website for example free?

Please help. Also any other info about this phone wpuld be great
    thanks
    12-12-09 02:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD