This has been a constant headache.

The Icon reads: 57.0 MB available There are times the icon number never moves.

The app log window reads: 50.4 MB available

Device Info under QL reads: 48.0 MB available

So. . . . .

I'm using: 1.3.14

And my OS 132 hybrid.
    04-28-09 01:39 PM
    This has been a constant headache.

The Icon reads: 57.0 MB available There are times the icon number never moves.

The app log window reads: 50.4 MB available

Device Info under QL reads: 48.0 MB available

So. . . . .

I'm using: 1.3.14

And my OS 132 hybrid.
    I noticed the same thing.. Lots of times what Meterberry says doesn't match. I thought maybe it was not "real time" and updates periodically, but I also have times where it doesn't change at all throughout the day...

I wish my memory didn't change throughout the day, lol!!

-Corey
    04-28-09 01:43 PM
    Mine seems to change fine.
    04-28-09 01:48 PM
    Well, it does take memory when you launch QL to see the device status...
    04-28-09 01:53 PM
    Mine seems to change fine.
    Same here.
    04-28-09 02:03 PM
    Your icon probably just isn't updating. If you actually click on it and look at the App Memory and then go to the Memory under options, it should be really close to exact. The biggest difference I have ever seen was .1 MB which may be a legit change from going back and forth. I don't know if you have the icons on rotate but if you do, your icon should update correctly.

Cashew - How much battery loss is there when we have the icons on rotate?
    04-28-09 02:10 PM
    had one issue where the battery % was different.... a BP resolved it and it has not happened since.
    04-28-09 02:10 PM
    I can do a BP and still get the same numbers. Hummmmm, maybe it's best. When you can't see that number then it won't bother you!
    04-28-09 02:17 PM
    Try reseting your memory log.
    04-28-09 02:27 PM
    On occasion, both my battery level and memory level icons stop updating on the home screen. A reset fixes it though.
    04-28-09 02:28 PM
    Mine is fine..only my wii fitness lies to me..
    04-28-09 02:31 PM
    No thats funny, but judging by your avatar you don't need it!
    04-28-09 02:36 PM
    No thats funny, but judging by your avatar you don't need it!

aw thanks! but it seriously does lie..its my enemy right now lol
    04-28-09 02:44 PM
    I would never lie to you. You are beautiful.
    04-28-09 03:42 PM
    oops, my fault. I thought I logged in to crackberry, but I guess this is eharmony.
    04-28-09 03:57 PM
    Hay, stand in line bub! This is my thread remember!
    04-28-09 04:11 PM
    The icon updates are determined by the update frequency

So, in MOST cases it will not match the actual number.
    04-28-09 04:53 PM
    Any idea why MeterBerry always starts at "-.3 mb" ? I mean the SECOND it starts up (with my phone), it says "-.3"

Is this just because it takes .3 mb to load it at start up? It is annoying for me (maybe I'm crazy!) to always boot up at -.3 mb!
    04-28-09 05:20 PM
    Any idea why MeterBerry always starts at "-.3 mb" ? I mean the SECOND it starts up (with my phone), it says "-.3"

Is this just because it takes .3 mb to load it at start up? It is annoying for me (maybe I'm crazy!) to always boot up at -.3 mb!
    Because you have 3rd party applications running when you start up?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-28-09 05:37 PM
    Haha MeterBerry is not lying.

MeterBerry's home screen icon and status screen update once per minute. The logs update every 15, 30, 45, or 60 minutes depending on your options. The Options -> Memory screen updates at an unknown rate, if at all. QuickLaunch displays an instantaneous reading. Your free application fluctuates up and down quite frequently during use of your phone, so it obviously is possible there will be some discrepancies.

I have had a few people report that the icon gets "stuck" updating. I am looking into this.
    Last edited by Giant Cashew; 04-28-09 at 05:41 PM.
    04-28-09 05:38 PM

When MeterBerry first starts up it measures the free application memory. That measurement is the basis for the "since startup" figure.

Depending on what other applications you have on your phone, after MeterBerry starts up, other applications may also startup, thus decreasing the number.
    04-28-09 05:39 PM
    When MeterBerry first starts up it measures the free application memory. That measurement is the basis for the "since startup" figure.

Depending on what other applications you have on your phone, after MeterBerry starts up, other applications may also startup, thus decreasing the number.
    That's the thing. I do not have anything else installed.

My applications list from advanced options:
    BlackBerry 4.7 Core Applications
    BlackBerry 4.7 System Service
    Blackberry Attachment Service
    BlackBerry Messenger
    Browser
    Email Setup Application
    MeterBerry
    Phone

That's it. Nothing else. It's just odd that EVERY time it's down -.3 mb. My first thought was that MeterBerry was taking .3 mb to load itself, but that doesn't make sense - because it cannot take the reading (or do anything, for that matter) until it is loaded. Thus, it can't take a reading, then load itself, and see that it's down .3 from the read because of loading itself.

So what's causing this?

I do also understand that my memory will inevitably drop (leak) throughout the day - hence me installing MeterBerry in the first place. However, I'm just curious as to whether or not EVERY phone drops .3 mb instantaneously when booting. I have literally had MeterBerry installed on this phone with 7 different OS loads (different versions), and ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS had my memory drop .3 mb INSTANTLY, then sit there for a while.

And Rockee, thanks for the attempted response. Not sure if you were trying to sound pompous, but if so, I recommend against doing that in the future. It will eventually bite you in the b*tt when you're wrong; then you'll feel dumb.

Then again, if you weren't trying to sound like it was a dumb question, my apologies for misunderstanding your tone...

Thanks to all who have any insight on this problem (without scoffing at the question, assuming that I know nothing).
    04-28-09 05:51 PM
    That's the thing. I do not have anything else installed.

My applications list from advanced options:
    BlackBerry 4.7 Core Applications
    BlackBerry 4.7 System Service
    Blackberry Attachment Service
    BlackBerry Messenger
    Browser
    Email Setup Application
    MeterBerry
    Phone

That's it. Nothing else. It's just odd that EVERY time it's down -.3 mb. My first thought was that MeterBerry was taking .3 mb to load itself, but that doesn't make sense - because it cannot take the reading (or do anything, for that matter) until it is loaded. Thus, it can't take a reading, then load itself, and see that it's down .3 from the read because of loading itself.

So what's causing this?

I do also understand that my memory will inevitably drop (leak) throughout the day - hence me installing MeterBerry in the first place. However, I'm just curious as to whether or not EVERY phone drops .3 mb instantaneously when booting. I have literally had MeterBerry installed on this phone with 7 different OS loads (different versions), and ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS had my memory drop .3 mb INSTANTLY, then sit there for a while.

And Rockee, thanks for the attempted response. Not sure if you were trying to sound pompous, but if so, I recommend against doing that in the future. It will eventually bite you in the b*tt when you're wrong; then you'll feel dumb.

Then again, if you weren't trying to sound like it was a dumb question, my apologies for misunderstanding your tone...

Thanks to all who have any insight on this problem (without scoffing at the question, assuming that I know nothing).
    The OS also caches things in application memory during and after startup. So that's probably where your -0.3 MB is coming from.

Sometimes I will see a bigger drop after startup, and sometimes I won't see any change whatsoever for a little while.

It's nothing to worry about.
    04-28-09 05:56 PM
    The OS is using the 0.3 on power up.

Don't like it? Wait for an OS upgrade or remove some garbage.

Meterberry is just reporting the info that the api is providing. Blame RIM

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-28-09 05:57 PM
    The OS also caches things in application memory during and after startup. So that's probably where your -0.3 MB is coming from. But really, it's nothing to worry about.

Sometimes I will see a bigger drop after startup, and sometimes I won't any change whatsoever for a little while.
    Thanks for the explanation. I am not really worried about it - I am just curious as to why it is .3 mb on my phone EVERY time. Wondering if that is just how the OS is written and it does that on EVERY phone at boot. Does that make sense? It seems odd to me that my phone always caches .3 mb of data at EVERY single boot, no matter how many/which apps I have installed, and no matter which OS I am running.

So it's just an issue of curiosity, and why my phone acts this way ALL the time, when as you just said, your own phone is sporadic. Curious, no?
    04-28-09 05:59 PM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD