Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere but my searches haven't yielded the answer.

What I would like to know is why, on my Bold 9700, does Meterberry tell me that I have 32mb of total device memory? I thought that this device has 128mb.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-11-10 10:35 AM
    Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere but my searches haven't yielded the answer.

What I would like to know is why, on my Bold 9700, does Meterberry tell me that I have 32mb of total device memory? I thought that this device has 128mb.

That is because this is the device memory limit that you have either chosen in your options, or is the default setting for pictures, videos, etc. Above that reading that you quote is where it shows the total application memory. This is where it shows that the 9700 has 256mb of total memory and how much of it is used.

You can change the amount of memory that is allocated on your memory options within the media folder.

02-11-10 11:07 AM
    Why can't I increase this beyond 32mb then? Shouldn't I be able to set it as high as 128mb if the Bold has 128mb of RAM?
    02-11-10 11:10 AM
    Why can't I increase this beyond 32mb then? Shouldn't I be able to set it as high as 128mb if the Bold has 128mb of RAM?
    Its a RIM design, as well as a common sense design. It would be assumed that since there is a SD card slot, and a card provided with new units, that most people would use it instead of bogging down the internal memory.

Also as I stated there is 256mb of application memory on the 9700 not 128mb.

02-11-10 11:16 AM
    I didn't think we were talking about application memory. Meterberry correctly reports a total of 256mb of application memory. It's the device memory reading that I am interested in. I assumed that this would be the RAM, of which the 9700 has 128mb.
    02-11-10 11:18 AM
    I didn't think we were talking about application memory. Meterberry correctly reports a total of 256mb of application memory. It's the device memory reading that I am interested in. I assumed that this would be the RAM, of which the 9700 has 128mb.
    Ok. The 32mb that you speak of is an allocation of memory from WITHIN the 256mb total application memory. It is not a separate entity. It is just put there to make sure that after all of the memory use with applications and such, that it is still made available for the uses I specified above. If you check the Bold 9700 forum there is a sticky with the manual that you can read about this.

Hope this helps.

02-11-10 11:25 AM
    So, to make sure I understand everything then, Meterberry does not report on RAM usage at all?
    02-11-10 11:26 AM
    So, to make sure I understand everything then, Meterberry does not report on RAM usage at all?
    It reports what you see. Total application memory, and allocated device memory out of that total.

02-11-10 11:29 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD