There seems to be a large number of these apps littered throughout App World, but are they of any actual value? Do they really perform the memory-boosting functions they claim to, or do they just take up memory themselves?

Looking for some insight here on how these apps actually boost memory, if they do at all.

Much appreciated!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    12-31-11 12:11 PM
    All they do is invoke the Garbage Collector, which you can do yourself by activating the engineering screens then going to "JVM Engineering Screens" and then selecting "GC"
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-31-11 12:43 PM
    yep works good. I have mine set to do a memory boost every 2 hrs. works great memory leaks are a thing of the past. have never done a battery pull on this phone.
    worth the $5 dollars if your phone feels slow from time to time.
    01-01-12 03:02 PM
    There seems to be a large number of these apps littered throughout App World, but are they of any actual value? Do they really perform the memory-boosting functions they claim to, or do they just take up memory themselves?

Looking for some insight here on how these apps actually boost memory, if they do at all.

Much appreciated!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    There are two problems with third party memory boosters. First, to realize any net gain in memory, the app would have to recover more memory than it occupied itself. Second, the OS's built-in memory management functions are always running and managing that same memory. You can't turn the OS off, so you run the risk of a conflict between two competing functions. There's nothing a memory booster can do that you can't do for free with a battery pull.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-02-12 11:27 AM
    Never tried.
    But battery boosters don't work if it gives you an idea.
    01-02-12 01:10 PM
    All they do is invoke the Garbage Collector, which you can do yourself by activating the engineering screens then going to "JVM Engineering Screens" and then selecting "GC"
    How do you get there on a 9810?
    01-02-12 04:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD