The Medscape app has finally arrived; I've been waiting for months with baited breath to replace Epocrates.

It does some really interesting things: much bigger data base including OTC and nutritional info; news briefs through my medscape account; much nicer interface than Epocrates.

But... It uses just as much memory as Epocrates--huge disappointment to me; doesn't have pill pictures; and is a bit on the slow side, even though--like Epocrates--the database is on the expansion card.

Oh well... maybe later versions will have some improvements.

m
    04-01-10 03:51 PM
    download link?
    04-01-10 04:17 PM
    download link?
    Oops. Knew I forgot something...

Medscape Mobile

m
    04-01-10 04:36 PM
    Thanks.. checking it out now
    04-01-10 06:44 PM
    Looks like it might be okay, and certainly not bad for free. I never did like Epocrates that much. Thanks to max221 for the info.
    04-01-10 09:19 PM
    max.. nice find. I was using Epocrates for a while as well, but this one seems to be much easier to to navigate. My only complaint is that it doesnt let you quit out completely (it's always runnin in the background). Ah well
    04-02-10 12:42 AM
    max.. nice find. I was using Epocrates for a while as well, but this one seems to be much easier to to navigate. My only complaint is that it doesnt let you quit out completely (it's always runnin in the background). Ah well
    Well carp...I didn't notice that. I too dislike that aspect. Very annoying.
    04-02-10 08:02 AM
    Doesn't Epocrates do the same thing? It was always one of the background programs running, could never close it out.

It seems that on first start it's very laggy, but then better after that; maybe some part of the program goes into active memory until restart?

m
    04-02-10 10:52 AM
    Doesn't Epocrates do the same thing? It was always one of the background programs running, could never close it out.
    Yeah Epocrates did always run in the background as well, between that and the (what I felt) clunky interface and memory hoggishness (well for me on my old BB anyway), I ended up dumping it a while back.

So for seem to like Medscape a lot better.
    04-02-10 12:44 PM
    I don't like a program that refuses to let you close it. I downloaded Epocrates awhile back and deleted it almost immediately for that very reason. Guess I won't be getting the Medscape either and I was waiting on the edge of my seat for it. Oh well. I had SkyScape for awhile which was free and had great info and I could close it out. Then they upgraded it and took away a great deal of free info so I deleted it too. I guess I'll keep waiting for something better to come along.
    04-03-10 08:59 AM
    Just made an interesting discovery: even after uninstalling Epocrates and more than one physical battery pulls (unrelated to Epocrates or Medscape) I found there's a folder with about 6MB of data on the SD card. Or I should say there was an Epocrates folder...
    m
    04-04-10 01:38 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD