Hi Gang,

Just received my 9650 from Sprint. There is a glaring problem that will interest all of you I am sure. I like the new trackpad much better than the trackball, but Opera mini and even the Blackberry browser don't like it much. The Blackberry browser is passable but Opera Mini 5 is not workable at all. It is impossible to move from field to field or click text boxes.

I love the phone for the first few minutes I have used it, but without Opera capability I guess this will be going back. RIM should have made sure that the trackpad worked with all of the major 3rd party software that BB users utilize. I adjusted the trackpad to the lowest speed and it still doesn't work at all with Opera.

Maybe someone can find a fix, but as it stands now this trackpad might be a deal breaker.

On a positive note. WiFi sure speeds up web browsing a little, makes it passable until BB OS 6 comes out.

WiFi setup is very odd as well! Not straight forward as it should be. It requires you to enter a PIN number into your router to connect. Really weird. RIM isn't quite as familiar with WiFi as other manufacturers of smartphones I guess.
    05-18-10 02:59 PM
    So it's a 3rd party issue.........?
    05-18-10 03:01 PM
    Woahhhhhhh! Big Fella! Major problem? A little bit of an alarmist for a 3rd party app dont you think? Considering most use the native browser.

A call to arms for a MAJOR issue would be if the trackpads fell out of numerous phones, or something along those lines...Major problem? hmmmm...
    05-18-10 03:04 PM
    That's what I'm getting out of this, lol.
    05-18-10 03:04 PM
    "Major 3rd party app problem"

05-18-10 03:05 PM
    Nice change
    05-18-10 03:07 PM
    Your wifi problem depends on your security for your router. If you don't have any, change the security type from the drop down menu on your phone while trying to set up a network and then click search. Definitely not a problem setting up wifi.
    05-18-10 03:08 PM
    I think its an Opera issue -- Opera didn't run on my Curve 8330 running OS 5.0 either. I switched to Bolt - works great.
    05-18-10 03:08 PM
    Now do 9700 users report this same issue with the track pad and Opera? I don;t recall seeing it, but may have missed it...
    05-18-10 03:09 PM
    Now do 9700 users report this same issue with the track pad and Opera? I don;t recall seeing it, but may have missed it...
    From what I read from 9700 users. Opera works okay on it with the trackpad, but its very skippy and hard to navigate. Opera just needs to update there browser so it works better with track pads

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-18-10 03:15 PM
    The issue 9700 owners sometimes report with opera 5 is the cursor is kind of sluggish and not as responsive as the regular browser. That was my experience but it was just with opera 5 as opera 4.2 worked fine. It works great on the native browser which is what I use anyway so that is what I know.
    05-18-10 03:15 PM
    From what I read from 9700 users. Opera works okay on it with the trackpad, but its very skippy and hard to navigate. Opera just needs to update there browser so it works better with track pads

The issue 9700 owners sometimes report with opera 5 is the cursor is kind of sluggish and not as responsive as the regular browser. That was my experience but it was just with opera 5 as opera 4.2 worked fine. It works great on the native browser which is what I use anyway so that is what I know.
    Cools, thanks for the responses

Hopefully Opera will get on this issue...

To the OP, hope everything else works out ok for you.
    05-18-10 03:17 PM
    I just got my phone up and I went to this site and logged in with no issues, well I do have one issue(blackberry browser). The print is tiny; any way to magnify the page?

Steve
    05-18-10 03:18 PM
    Hi Gang,

Just received my 9650 from Sprint. There is a glaring problem that will interest all of you I am sure. I like the new trackpad much better than the trackball, but Opera mini and even the Blackberry browser don't like it much. The Blackberry browser is passable but Opera Mini 5 is not workable at all. It is impossible to move from field to field or click text boxes.

I love the phone for the first few minutes I have used it, but without Opera capability I guess this will be going back. RIM should have made sure that the trackpad worked with all of the major 3rd party software that BB users utilize. I adjusted the trackpad to the lowest speed and it still doesn't work at all with Opera.

Maybe someone can find a fix, but as it stands now this trackpad might be a deal breaker.

On a positive note. WiFi sure speeds up web browsing a little, makes it passable until BB OS 6 comes out.

WiFi setup is very odd as well! Not straight forward as it should be. It requires you to enter a PIN number into your router to connect. Really weird. RIM isn't quite as familiar with WiFi as other manufacturers of smartphones I guess.

OH NOOOOOOO ... opera won't work? wow that 3rd party issue totally negates the entire phone and all of its functionality... whatever will we do w/out a proper scrolling opera mini browser? OHH NOOOO

ohh wait i am sorry everyone i sometimes panic over every little issue that can fixed easily and quickly. I will A) use the native BB brower B) download another 3rd party app browser or C) wait for opera to realize this prob and wait for them to fix it with a fairly easy patch .... wow good thing i realized this bc i was abt to completely discredit a phone bc of a 3rd party app issue... boy i would have felt like a complete ****** for being so over dramatic
    05-18-10 03:20 PM
    Hit "i" to zoom in and "o" to zoom out...you can also change your font settings in the options on your browser.
    go into your browser setting and change the font size or click the track pad to zoom it or I to zoom in or O to zoom out....

you can also change from page view to column view, which could help
    OK,

So maybe I am over reacting to a simple problem. Most users don't use the BB browser because it is soooo slow. That is why I had been using Opera on my Tour. Much faster!

I assumed it was probably a driver issue with Opera, but who knows when that will get fixed.

Sorry for posting incorrectly! I just wanted to prove what a**holes users on this forum are. I have owned every OS of smartphone since the beginning of time and there is no forum as rude and crude as this one.

You recomfirmed my suspicions. Thanks for playing!
    05-18-10 04:06 PM
    Talk about an alarmist. Wow!
    05-18-10 04:19 PM
    OK,

So maybe I am over reacting to a simple problem. Most users don't use the BB browser because it is soooo slow. That is why I had been using Opera on my Tour. Much faster!

I assumed it was probably a driver issue with Opera, but who knows when that will get fixed.

Sorry for posting incorrectly! I just wanted to prove what a**holes users on this forum are. I have owned every OS of smartphone since the beginning of time and there is no forum as rude and crude as this one.

You recomfirmed my suspicions. Thanks for playing!
    If you have wifi a lot of places(home,work) the native browser is much better but still not as fast as the 3rd party ones. I use it all the time. I was pleasantly surprised when I went to the Storm 2 from the original one. Also like someone said there's other options for setting up your wifi stuff. I used the WPA setup. Opera Mini will probably get a fix out soon if there are enough people letting them know. Enjoy that new BB. I want to get that one for my wife.
    05-18-10 07:06 PM
    Didn't experience an issue with Opera. Didn't play on it long, but it seemed to work ok for me. All my other 3rd party apps are working fine (meterberry, quicklaunch, berryjoose, ascendo money, pocket informant). Maybe I'm just blessed.

05-18-10 09:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD