I tried updating my 8330 with the hybrid OS a few weeks ago and it didn't work. So I used my backup file and reloaded the latest official-official OS from RIM. Just about everything's back to normal, but....

1. I now can't open PDFs in emails - I've checked up on my DocsToGo and everything looks right.
    2. It won't let send my email replies if I'm opening the incoming email through "messages" (instead of the specific email icon it is through) - It literally does not list "send" as a menu option. This sucks because I've been having to navigate 4 difft email icons instead of just 1 ("messages")
    3. Facebook isn't listed in my messages anymore, so I have to open the FB app every time I get a notification...which takes forever to load compared to when the notification was in my "messages".

I hope some can help me... I'm only 8m into this BB and am not ready to buy a new one. And yes, I've learned my lesson . And I will admit, it could be a lot worse. I am very lucky.
    06-19-10 08:34 AM
    First question is why didn't your hybrid install work? This may give a clue as to your problems with the 4.5 re-install. Which hybrid were you trying to install?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-19-10 11:13 AM
    It was the 5.0 hybrid on the sticky note at the top of the 83xx forum. But via the directions for non-boost phones.
    06-19-10 11:21 AM
    I think you have 2 options:

Install a good OS 5.0 hybrid (my recommendation) from BBTweaks.com. You would need to follow their instructions to the letter. I've installed five
    progressive versions of their hybrids & found each better than the previous.

If you want to re-install 4.5 you should use BSAK to get a clean wipe of your device then restore your OS using Desktop Manager. The BBTweaks instructions tell you how to recover your browser & setup your email.

06-19-10 11:39 AM
    Awesome, will try for the hybrid from BBT. thanks!
    06-19-10 12:00 PM
    I also think you should do a full wipe before installing anything. Make sure you remove any bad settings for good.

06-19-10 12:05 PM

Install a good OS 5.0 hybrid (my recommendation) from BBTweaks.com. You would need to follow their instructions to the letter. I've installed five
    progressive versions of their hybrids & found each better than the previous.

OK JBarbero, thanks for you're help so far, but things are not completely back to good....

I went to BBTweaks and now have the base os 5.0.0.608. It has the pretty sunflower as my wp and it looks good. BUT, I had to load the os using the "BB Master Control Program" that came with it. And now my Desktop Manager won't recognize the bb so i can't restore all my data (texts, emails, call log, setting prefs, etc.). I've got my contacts back in via verizon backup assistant. I tried accessing the backed up data through the mater control program but no dice.

It looks awesome and I'm excited... but I could really use that data. Also, this might be a silly question, but is there a user guide for this? Thanks so much for your help!
    06-20-10 10:45 AM
    I restarted my pc... DM is recognizing it, yay!
    06-20-10 11:09 AM
    I restarted my pc... DM is recognizing it, yay!
    So does this mean you are good to go? I don't understand why you used BBMCP to install your OS when the instructions from the website say to use BSAK. Whenever I have deviated from their instructions I have gotten results that I didn't want & have had to re-install according to the instructions. Glad you are up & running. Good luck.
    JBarbero

06-20-10 11:34 AM
    I got stuck when I tried to put the base 5.0 os on the phone (not the version i was ultimately going for). the tutorial didn't offer any troubleshooting for this part, so I opened up the BBMCP bc I thought maybe since it came with the dl, it was implied i should use it. By the time I got it up and running, i decided to forgot about the even newer version of the hybrid, scanned the rest of the tutorial for anything I thought I might be missing, then stopped before I got myself into more trouble trying to update a 5min old update. Whew! Yeah, I never made it to BSAK or the shrink-os steps. I guess I'm a lucky girl, once again

All in all, it's looking good. the only thing I might be missing now are the default phone alert noises. As it stands, all sounds have to come from my media card (actual songs). I'll fiddled with it later. I'm bb'd out right now.
    06-20-10 12:04 PM
    Ok. After you have rested up you will need to install the latest hybrid tomorrow. The base OS has HUGE mem leaks. As they say, "Once you go hybrid, you'll never go back." Btw there are instructions on installing default ringtones on you SIM card. If not on bbtweaks. Check nathanix.com

06-20-10 12:16 PM
    JB, I installed BBTweaks 7th and had no problems using BBSAK. Running fabulous! Thanks for your feedback and help!
    07-01-10 12:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD