Ok, so some of you may or may NOT know Opera Mini 4.1 BETA has been released...this new version of Opera claims to have upload and download ability within the applications it's self....

Now with that being said, I'm currently in Canada where I have a pitiful 25MB data plan and cannot fully test out this option in the way I would like, as some of you know I am the Admin/Owner of videos4blackberry.info and the option built into Opera Mini would be a great feature if it fully works to it's claimed potential, so aside from downloading movies (while it would be quite slow on EDGE) it also opens the door for downloading podcasts such as the crackberry one....

So if you have Opera Mini 4.1 BETA installed and an UNLIMITED data plan and wanna help a fellow member out, it would be greatly appreciated, I have set up a small file to be downloaded, although you may choose any file..be it a crackberry podcast or a video from my site to test on, if you could report your findings here this would further help along the development of making it easier to get podcasts and videos on your BB device OTA, shall we say.....

Just post your results here.. were you able to download and view/listen to video/podcast....include your device model, OS version and state if the file download was successful or if it was a failure...

And remeber only people with UNLIMITED data plans should partake in this test...cause overages suck!!!
    Last edited by Bla1ze; 04-05-08 at 10:41 PM.
    04-05-08 10:35 PM
    dont canada has unlimited blackberry data plans???????????????? or ur just allowed 25mb lol i with att 8310 4.1 beta mini unlimited data whats the reward lol
    04-05-08 10:58 PM
    alright, gave it a shot.
    4.2.1.96 - (probably why)
    Every file I tried opened went to a page with 2 options, Save As, or Open. Open invoked the BB browser, Save as waits about 2 minutes and then "Error - Unable To Open Connection"
    04-05-08 11:23 PM
    Got an 8310 and that's been my experience with any downloads. Not just large files.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-05-08 11:27 PM
    Well, I have successfully downloaded apps over the air now with Opera mini beta.

I attempted to paste your link to the test file in a was able to download it with Opera by pressing "save as". However, if I pressed open, it just opened the regular browser to download/view it.

Also, I pretty much have decided Opera is not for me as it is not native to blackberry in that you can not directly enter text in text fields, but have to go another entry screen which is just stupid and not the standard GUI method.

Further, Opera on the desktop has been less than stellar for me under windows XP, often not able to even view a modern site. So, the only real advantage of being able to sink your stuff between them is mute for me now.

I downloaded your test file with an 8820 running Platform 2.4.0.67, App version: 4.2.2.169.
    04-05-08 11:36 PM
    Just to give you some further feedback, I visited your site first on my PC, and then attempted to go to the site on the mobile link you have there.

I was unable to determine how to get content to download from the mobile site. Further, it would be far far better to have a mobile site, and a shortcut to download, than that translation service or whatever that is that provides the mobile site, if you follow me.

Anyway, if I was going to look for video content, I'd do it on my Blackberry, or I'd just be viewing that content on my PC.

Patrick
    04-05-08 11:50 PM
    Just to give you some further feedback, I visited your site first on my PC, and then attempted to go to the site on the mobile link you have there.

I was unable to determine how to get content to download from the mobile site. Further, it would be far far better to have a mobile site, and a shortcut to download, than that translation service or whatever that is that provides the mobile site, if you follow me.

Anyway, if I was going to look for video content, I'd do it on my Blackberry, or I'd just be viewing that content on my PC.

Patrick

Thats kinda the point, you CAN'T download the videos from your BB so theirs no real reason to even visit the site on your BB unless your just planning what you may want to download later, the site was NEVER meant to be a mobile portal, this is why the experiments are happening with Opera Min 4.1 to see if it's even feasable, my experience with it, since I have 4.5 OS, it does NOT invoke my regular browser it just asks me where I want to save the file , I choose a spot and it starts to download....currently on the BB the system has a 5MB download limit attached to it...any thing bigger and you just get error messages, "Request Entity Too Large" , 403 forbidden etc..etc...so hence the no point in a mobile portal...I'm not gonna waste time and effort designing one.
    Last edited by Bla1ze; 04-06-08 at 12:10 AM.
    04-06-08 12:04 AM
    So from the input given so far, it seems as though 4.2 OS just invokes the regular BB browser, where as with my testing on 4.5 it does NOT invoke the bb browser it just loads the file for download...
    04-06-08 12:14 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD