I attempted to contact Steelthorn Software to clear up whether or not the QuickPull app performs a hard reset or soft and was forwarded to another forum style website. I posted the question on there and here was the reply I received today...

Hello, there. I am sorry for the ambiguous wording in the app description and have forwarded this thread over to our website administrator to see about having the wording changed.

Now, for the answer to your question. You are correct that a battery pull is a device hard reset, but what QuickPull does is use software to trick the phone into thinking the connection to the battery has been temporarily severed in order to initiate a device hard reset. Since the battery isn't physically removed by a QuickPull, we usually try to keep from describing the process as a hard reset. You do get all the benefits of an actual battery pull from a QuickPull reset, though, so it could be considered a device hard reset for the sake of argument. At any rate, it is clear that we need to work out a better description for the app that doesn't lead to such ambiguity.

Thank you for your question, and please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.
    Does it perfrom a Hard (battery pull) or Soft Reset?

So apparently, for those who were also wondering, QuickPull does perform a hard reset. I guess I'll stick with it, at least for now, until I can find the other app I was looking for.

Hope this helps!
    I'm not trying to discourage you from using QuickPull. What I am trying to do is clarify that QuickPull does not pysicslly remove the battery, therefore it cannot do a hard reset. It does the same thing all the other apps do, including BlackBerry's own OS - the software is built in and QP and the others simply take advantage of the code. They do a soft reset.
    10-04-10 08:34 PM
    I'm not trying to discourage you from using QuickPull. What I am trying to do is clarify that QuickPull does not pysicslly remove the battery, therefore it cannot do a hard reset. It does the same thing all the other apps do, including BlackBerry's own OS - the software is built in and QP and the others simply take advantage of the code. They do a soft reset.
    I didn't think you were trying to discourage me from using anything, nor am I trying to argue. I wanted to share what I was told because I figured I wasn't the only person wondering what QP actually did. If the developer says its a hard reset, then I'm going to trust that's what it is as they have nothing to gain by lying about an app thats free to begin with.

Anyway, this has gotten way off topic as all I originally wanted to know is what the app was called (if anyone knows) that I came across a couple of weeks ago. I believe I saw it on BB App World since its the site I use most frequently, but the app claims it performs a reset without shutting the phone off. So if anyone knows what the app is called, please let me know!

Thanks!
    10-04-10 08:45 PM
    I didn't think you were trying to discourage me from using anything, nor am I trying to argue. I wanted to share what I was told because I figured I wasn't the only person wondering what QP actually did. If the developer says its a hard reset, then I'm going to trust that's what it is as they have nothing to gain by lying about an app thats free to begin with.

Anyway, this has gotten way off topic as all I originally wanted to know is what the app was called (if anyone knows) that I came across a couple of weeks ago. I believe I saw it on BB App World since its the site I use most frequently, but the app claims it performs a reset without shutting the phone off. So if anyone knows what the app is called, please let me know!

Thanks!
    That's all of them - a soft reset is what they're doing. Do not let any descriptions fool you - a reset cannot be performed without resetting, and if the battery stays in it's a soft reset.
    10-04-10 08:54 PM
    That's all of them - a soft reset is what they're doing. Do not let any descriptions fool you - a reset cannot be performed without resetting, and if the battery stays in it's a soft reset.
    Are you by chance a software developer or do you have something to do with working with java coding?
    10-04-10 09:03 PM
    Are you by chance a software developer or do you have something to do with working with java coding?
    Naturally. And I'd never lie to you. Just like Microsoft telling me I can't use any browser but theirs, or that the installation disk that I paid a couple hundred dollars for can only be used three times, or Steve Jobs telling people that there's no problem with the phone, you're just holding it wrong. Am I getting anywhere now?
    10-04-10 09:30 PM
    I used to have Quick Pull and liked it a lot. But I now have Quicklaunch and it has a reboot app with it and it works just as well as Quick Pull. I will do a physical battery pull about once a week. It is good for the BB Mine only takes about 2 min to boot back up. It is scheduled every morning and it doesn't bother me. I won Meterberry from crackberry Like it too !
    10-04-10 09:39 PM
    I used to have Quick Pull and liked it a lot. But I now have Quicklaunch and it has a reboot app with it and it works just as well as Quick Pull. I will do a physical battery pull about once a week. It is good for the BB Mine only takes about 2 min to boot back up. It is scheduled every morning and it doesn't bother me. I won Meterberry from crackberry Like it too !
    Ditto the Quicklaunch and MeterBerry combo, love em and would never be without them. Never used the resets on either though. Used to use QuickPull on my last device because the case was a pita to get on and off, but now I do battery pulls every 22-30 hours because I swap batteries (charging pod).
    10-04-10 09:52 PM
    Naturally. And I'd never lie to you. Just like Microsoft telling me I can't use any browser but theirs, or that the installation disk that I paid a couple hundred dollars for can only be used three times, or Steve Jobs telling people that there's no problem with the phone, you're just holding it wrong. Am I getting anywhere now?
    OK, so let me see if I'm understanding this correctly... you, as someone who develops software and/or works with Java coding, is saying it is impossible to develop an application which tricks the device into thinking the battery connection has been severed? Is that about the gist of it
    10-05-10 10:10 AM
    OK, so let me see if I'm understanding this correctly... you, as someone who develops software and/or works with Java coding, is saying it is impossible to develop an application which tricks the device into thinking the battery connection has been
    severed? Is that about the gist of it
    What I'm trying to say is QuickLaunch, QuickPull, MeterBerry etc. - they ALL use the same technique. They tell the phone the battery connection has been severed. This is also built-in with keyboard devices, it's the same thing. There is no app that can kick your battery out of your device, so no app does a hard reset. No app can reset the phone while it's on either, that's another ambiguous statement. It's skirting the fact that yes, while your phone is technically "on" and drawing power, it's not in a state where it's usable because it's rebooting. Just like the aforementioned apps.
    They all use the severing of the battery connection trick. For most cases if you just want to clear memory or give the device a quick jog, that's fine. But sometimes, things get messed up - and this requires the battery actually coming out of the battery cavity.
    10-05-10 10:24 AM
    quick pull still works best for me.. if you find anything else please let me know.. always looking for the best option
    10-05-10 10:26 AM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD