I'm using QuickPull now but it seems to take forever for my device to restart. But recently I came across an app which said it was supposed to simulate a battery pull without having to shut your device off and now for the life of me I can't remember what it was called or where I found it.

Does anyone know of an app like this?

Thanks in advance to those who reply!
    09-28-10 10:15 PM
    QuickPull!
    09-28-10 10:24 PM
    QuickPull!
    As I stated in my post, I'm currently using QuickPull which requires that the device be turned off. I was asking if anyone knows of the other app I described. But thanks anyway!
    09-28-10 10:30 PM
    Oops. SOrry! :-p
    09-28-10 10:34 PM
    Oops. SOrry! :-p
    It's okay, no worries
    09-28-10 10:35 PM
    Lol quick pull is your only option pretty much, and yes blackberrys do take between 2 and 10 minutes to reboot.

No program will change this. Its something we deal with.

Use the scheduler built into quickpull and set it for times you will be sleeping or something.

I always pull my battery before my morning shower and by the time I'm ready to go get my coffee downstairs its booted back up.

Work the resets into your routine, and not when the phone needs them.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-28-10 11:04 PM
    Lol quick pull is your only option pretty much, and yes blackberrys do take between 2 and 10 minutes to reboot.

Use the scheduler built into quickpull and set it for times you will be sleeping or something.

I always pull my battery before my morning shower and by the time I'm ready to go get my coffee downstairs its booted back up.

I do have a schedule set, however, when removing an app its a wait that drives me crazy and I do know I saw an app recently that said it does the same thing without turning the phone off. I'm kicking myself in the pants for not bookmarking it now
    09-28-10 11:12 PM
    Sorry to take this a bit off topic, but does Quickpull work as good as a genuine battery pull?
    09-29-10 01:45 PM
    Sorry to take this a bit off topic, but does Quickpull work as good as a genuine battery pull?
    Once in a while I will get a little app happy downloading apps and my phone will start to lag or freeze up, or I'll remove multiple apps at once (skipping the reboot in between) and a QuickPull does the trick every time. So yeah, as far as I can tell it works just as well and without having to go through the hassle of actually removing the battery. Plus, as someone else mentioned, you can schedule QuickPull to run which is nice.

Hope this helps!
    09-29-10 01:54 PM

That's not entirely true. There are many options. Personally I use MeterBerry on a schedule and Quicklaunch for impromptu restarts.

My sister who's fairly new to all this (not that I'm a veteran) found a free app on AppWorld called Restartme. You could give that a go.

Hope this helps.

Mav.

09-29-10 07:47 PM
    That's not entirely true. There are many options. Personally I use MeterBerry on a schedule and Quicklaunch for impromptu restarts.

My sister who's fairly new to all this (not that I'm a veteran) found a free app on AppWorld called Restartme. You could give that a go.

Hope this helps.

Mav.

Thanks for the suggestions! I was looking into getting Quick Launch because I wasn't completely satisfied with One Touch Launcher (shortcuts I couldn't remove, not all apps I wanted could be added and no websites could be added) but today I discovered somewhat of a work around by adding launchers from Home | Think One Zero to it. Now it's actually not bad and best of all, its still free

As for MeterBerry, I read some info on it and it doesn't sound bad. In fact it sounds like I could replace QuickPull, MemoryUp Personal and possibly BatteryBooster. The only thing is that I purchased BatteryBooster, so I would hate to have to get rid of it when it seems to work ok and I just got it. I would also hate to have to buy another app that I may or may not like. Could you tell me, since I assume MeterBerry runs in the background, how it affects your battery? I ask because I use BBM, browser and app world a lot which seem to drain my battery pretty fast as it is.

Thanks again!!
    09-29-10 08:07 PM
    Personally, I haven't noticed any drain at all. I've set my update rate to every 30mins which for me is adequate.

FYI I'm a fairly heavy user most of the time and I've got over 50 apps installed. My current discharge rate (according to meterberry) is currently 1.8% / hr.

Now there are a few caveats to this. Today has been a fairly quiet day in terms of calls and I should point out that I am running a hybrid OS that has enhanced battery performance.

Not sure if this answered your question but I hope it helps. IMHO Meterberry and Quicklaunch are worth every penny. For me they are two of my most important BB apps. If you've ever seen one of the many threads asking for ppls top bb apps both appear very high on the list.

Mav.
    09-29-10 08:21 PM
    Personally, I haven't noticed any drain at all. I've set my update rate to every 30mins which for me is adequate.

FYI I'm a fairly heavy user most of the time and I've got over 50 apps installed. My current discharge rate (according to meterberry) is currently 1.8% / hr.

Now there are a few caveats to this. Today has been a fairly quiet day in terms of calls and I should point out that I am running a hybrid OS that has enhanced battery performance.

Not sure if this answered your question but I hope it helps. IMHO Meterberry and Quicklaunch are worth every penny. For me they are two of my most important BB apps. If you've ever seen one of the many threads asking for ppls top bb apps both appear very high on the list.

Mav.
    Yeah I have actually seen a lot of mention around the boards about "hybrid OS", but honestly have no idea what it is. I've only been a part of the BB world for a few months so there are still a lot of things I know little or nothing about and others that I'm just flat out scared to mess with.

I will certainly keep these in mind though. I'm currently in between jobs so I'm really trying not to spend anything if I don't have to, but I have created a sticky note on my PC so I don't end up forgetting about it LOL.

Thanks a bunch!
    09-29-10 09:01 PM
    Why not just hit alt-right shift-delete. Works for me whenever I want to restart and it's free.
    09-29-10 10:08 PM
    Why not just hit alt-right shift-delete. Works for me whenever I want to restart and it's free.
    My thoughts exactly...and it doesn't use up any memory.
    09-29-10 11:50 PM
    My thoughts exactly...and it doesn't use up any memory.
    pbflash, I don't know where the "right" and "shift" buttons are that you're referring to, so you lost me there

But a keyboard shortcut actually has to be performed whereas QuickPull can run on a schedule and it has other features as well. Also, I was under the impression that the keyboard shortcut is only a soft reset and a battery pull is a hard reset, which is what QuickPull claims to do.
    09-30-10 12:20 AM
    press LEFT ALT , right SHIFT (aA key) and DELETE Key..together...

that enables u to simulate a soft reset....
    09-30-10 12:35 AM
    but if u think the waitin time is too much.. go for ahybrid like iceandfire or bDHP.. they have relatively lesser boot times within 2-3 mins...
    09-30-10 12:35 AM
    but if u think the waitin time is too much.. go for ahybrid like iceandfire or bDHP.. they have relatively lesser boot times within 2-3 mins...
    Again, not entirely true. This always confuses me when hybrid users talk about shortened boot times. This usually only happens first time round after install. Once you've reistalled your apps, redone your options and in my case turned on encryption etc. your boot times will increase.

Anyway there are so many variables to boot times (everyone's set up is different, how many apps, is security/encryption, how many underlying databases, and the list goes on....) its virtually a misnomer to talk about shortened boot times.

Hybrids are excellent if you want to squeeze that little bit extra in terms of performance. Though I am of the belief that it's getting to the stage where improvements are few and far between. The stock OS's are pretty decent (roll on OS6). I digress, the point I am trying to make is that you shouldn't bother installing a hybrid if all you want is shortened boot times. You will be disappointed.

Hope this helps.

Mav.

Last edited by Mavrique; 09-30-10 at 01:18 AM.
    09-30-10 01:15 AM
    Again, not entirely true. This always confuses me when hybrid users talk about shortened boot times. This usually only happens first time round after install. Once you've reistalled your apps, redone your options and in my case turned on encryption etc. your boot times will increase.

Anyway there are so many variables to boot times (everyone's set up is different, how many apps, is security/encryption, how many underlying databases, and the list goes on....) its virtually a misnomer to talk about shortened boot times.

Hybrids are excellent if you want to squeeze that little bit extra in terms of performance. Though I am of the belief that it's getting to the stage where improvements are few and far between. The stock OS's are pretty decent (roll on OS6). I digress, the point I am trying to make is that you shouldn't bother installing a hybrid if all you want is shortened boot times. You will be disappointed.

Hope this helps.

Mav.

the good thing in hybrid.. is... that u cn choose whatever u want to install witht he stock OS... and remove whatever u dont need it..

that extends ur boot up time and reduces the battery drain time.. i have been using hybrid of driphter right from the beginning when it was introduced..
    it jus reduces the emory consumption of apps ...

and as well for quickpull.. its the best anyway !
    09-30-10 01:37 AM
    pbflash, I don't know where the "right" and "shift" buttons are that you're referring to, so you lost me there

But a keyboard shortcut actually has to be performed whereas QuickPull can run on a schedule and it has other features as well. Also, I was under the impression that the keyboard shortcut is only a soft reset and a battery pull is a hard reset, which is what QuickPull claims to do.
    QuickPull, QuickLaunch, and MeterBerry all do the same soft reset as the keyboard shortcut. And the right and left shift keys are the aA with the arrows pointing up. Unless you have a Pearl, then there's only one. And if you have a Storm, you have no keys, and will have to either do a battery pull or use an app. There's a tip for Verizon customers with Storms using the CDMA screen to do a soft reset, but it's a couple extra hoops and does the same thing as the apps.
    09-30-10 02:48 AM
    press LEFT ALT , right SHIFT (aA key) and DELETE Key..together...

that enables u to simulate a soft reset....
    Thanks! I tried it and it does work, however, pushing all those buttons is kind of a PITA. Think I will stick to QuickPull for now since I can schedule it to run while I'm sleeping. But thanks again for explaining how to do it.

I don't know the first thing about getting/using/installing a hybrid. I'm too afraid of messing with any of the core apps because being my luck, I'll screw something up :-s

Hope this helps.

Mav.

I don't think a hybrid would be for me then. Since I got my phone around March 2010 all I've done to it, aside from adding/removing apps, is update the OS (v5.0.0.886). But I've never set up anything as far as encryption goes, at least not to my knowledge. I don't tend to mess with things I know nothing about ;-) LOL But my boot time is probably only 3-4 minutes (if that), I just don't have patience worth a crap Hahaha

But thanks for the info, it's much appreciated!

QuickPull, QuickLaunch, and MeterBerry all do the same soft reset as the keyboard shortcut. And the right and left shift keys are the aA with the arrows pointing up. Unless you have a Pearl, then there's only one. And if you have a Storm, you have no keys, and will have to either do a battery pull or use an app. There's a tip for Verizon customers with Storms using the CDMA screen to do a soft reset, but it's a couple extra hoops and does the same thing as the apps.
    This is where I'm confused... if all those apps do the same thing and its a soft reset, how does QuickPull get away with stating it simulates a battery pull, which is a hard reset?

Lastly, question to everyone... is there a way to tell which reset (hard or soft) is being performed? As with QuickPull it claims it performs a hard reset while everyone here says its a soft. Since the app description obviously can't be trusted, how can I know which its doing? Or can I?

Sorry to sound like a BB dummy, but these are things I want to learn because I plan on sticking with BB's. I see now why they refer to it as a crackberry LOL!

Thanks again to everyone for the info.. you've all been a huge help!
    09-30-10 09:32 AM
    glad there was a learning.. !!

every feature in Blackberry has a learning curve..

for hybrids.. visit: Driphter.com

they have tailored instructions.. !
    09-30-10 09:38 AM
    Thanks! I tried it and it does work, however, pushing all those buttons is kind of a PITA. Think I will stick to QuickPull for now since I can schedule it to run while I'm sleeping. But thanks again for explaining how to do it.

I don't know the first thing about getting/using/installing a hybrid. I'm too afraid of messing with any of the core apps because being my luck, I'll screw something up :-s

I don't think a hybrid would be for me then. Since I got my phone around March 2010 all I've done to it, aside from adding/removing apps, is update the OS (v5.0.0.886). But I've never set up anything as far as encryption goes, at least not to my knowledge. I don't tend to mess with things I know nothing about ;-) LOL But my boot time is probably only 3-4 minutes (if that), I just don't have patience worth a crap Hahaha

But thanks for the info, it's much appreciated!

This is where I'm confused... if all those apps do the same thing and its a soft reset, how does QuickPull get away with stating it simulates a battery pull, which is a hard reset?

Lastly, question to everyone... is there a way to tell which reset (hard or soft) is being performed? As with QuickPull it claims it performs a hard reset while everyone here says its a soft. Since the app description obviously can't be trusted, how can I know which its doing? Or can I?

Sorry to sound like a BB dummy, but these are things I want to learn because I plan on sticking with BB's. I see now why they refer to it as a crackberry LOL!

Thanks again to everyone for the info.. you've all been a huge help!
    Easiest way to tell whether a hard reset or a soft reset is being performed is to figure out if you pulled the battery. If you didn't, it's a soft reset. Physically pulling the battery = hard reset. Anything else is a soft reset because the battery didn't get pulled.
    09-30-10 01:34 PM
    I attempted to contact Steelthorn Software to clear up whether or not the QuickPull app performs a hard reset or soft and was forwarded to another forum style website. I posted the question on there and here was the reply I received today...

Hello, there. I am sorry for the ambiguous wording in the app description and have forwarded this thread over to our website administrator to see about having the wording changed.

Now, for the answer to your question. You are correct that a battery pull is a device hard reset, but what QuickPull does is use software to trick the phone into thinking the connection to the battery has been temporarily severed in order to initiate a device hard reset. Since the battery isn't physically removed by a QuickPull, we usually try to keep from describing the process as a hard reset. You do get all the benefits of an actual battery pull from a QuickPull reset, though, so it could be considered a device hard reset for the sake of argument. At any rate, it is clear that we need to work out a better description for the app that doesn't lead to such ambiguity.

Thank you for your question, and please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.
    Does it perfrom a Hard (battery pull) or Soft Reset?

So apparently, for those who were also wondering, QuickPull does perform a hard reset. I guess I'll stick with it, at least for now, until I can find the other app I was looking for.

Hope this helps!
    10-04-10 07:57 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD