My BB Storm has required employer password that has to be re-entered every time the phone has not been used for 5 minutes. It is a pain since the password has to be 8 characters and impossible if driving to pick up the phone and make a call. IS there an app that will make the phone think it is active so it does not go into standby and need me to unlock and enter the password. I know there are windows apps to keep a web site from timing out. Something like that. Not sure what to call it. Thanks!
    09-13-09 01:01 PM
    My BB Storm has required employer password that has to be re-entered every time the phone has not been used for 5 minutes. It is a pain since the password has to be 8 characters and impossible if driving to pick up the phone and make a call. IS there an app that will make the phone think it is active so it does not go into standby and need me to unlock and enter the password. I know there are windows apps to keep a web site from timing out. Something like that. Not sure what to call it. Thanks!
    BB button>Options>Password>Disable
    09-13-09 02:09 PM
    09-13-09 02:12 PM
    Options>Password>Disable will not work the security on the phone is a system or App employer has added. The password option is not even on the Options menu.

If the phone thinks it is not being used then it will after 5 or so minutes lock up and need a PW to get back into it.
    09-13-09 08:58 PM
    My company also locks down our
    BlackBerrys and a number of folks have had complaints similar to what the original post describes. While I havehy been able to find a way to disable the security features, or trick the phone into preventing itself from timing out, here are two options that I was able to use to mitigate the impacts:

1). Increase the "Security Timeout" from 5 min to 2 hours (or however long the phone/profile will allow)

2). Set "Allow Outgoing Calls While Locked" to Yes.

Both of these settings are found under Options -> Password, so if you don't have access to that, this post won't really help...

Good Luck!
    09-13-09 09:24 PM
    I'm on BES as well and can appreciate the inconvenience, but it wouldn't be much security if an app could be installed to defeat it. Resetting the timer requires a screen press. 5 minutes is an impractically short timeout though. Mine is 30 minutes, and our passwords only have to be 4 characters. I recommend you talk to your IT department about lengthening the timeout interval.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-13-09 09:36 PM
    I recommend you talk to your IT department about lengthening the timeout interval.
    I agree. My experience with IT Security people is that they react strongly when they find out you've installed some rogue software specifically to bypass their security policies.
    09-14-09 10:00 AM
    For those locked down on these policies, do you know if you are able to change permissions for apps?
    09-14-09 07:51 PM
    It just depends on the specific policies that are enforced. My IT Policy is very benign. It forces a password with a maximum 30 minute timeout and Content Protection. It does not restrict anything else. I can use the camera, media card, bluetooth, browse the internet with no restrictions, install apps and even upgrade the OS. But everything I just listed is under control of the IT Policy and could be disabled with a keystroke at any time.
    09-14-09 08:03 PM
    I'm on BES as well and can appreciate the inconvenience, but it wouldn't be much security if an app could be installed to defeat it. Resetting the timer requires a screen press. 5 minutes is an impractically short timeout though. Mine is 30 minutes, and our passwords only have to be 4 characters. I recommend you talk to your IT department about lengthening the timeout interval.

agreed ... my policies are the same. it is a pain, but a necessary one to keep corporate information safe.
    09-14-09 08:11 PM
    I am pretty sure I could get an app out for this... just not sure if there is enough interest to justify the work.
    09-14-09 08:17 PM
    I am pretty sure I could get an app out for this... just not sure if there is enough interest to justify the work.
    I don't think you can do it, but if you're up for the challenge, all you have to do is do it, and show it to RIM. If you really did it, I imagine they'd make it worth your time. And I'm not talking anything unethical.

09-14-09 08:20 PM
    If you are allowed to change permissions, I am sure this is possible. Are you going to be available to test?
    09-14-09 08:23 PM
    One issue will also be that any app that does this for you will not allow the screen to go dark, which will be bad on battery. Would that still be interesting?
    09-14-09 08:45 PM
    I don't care if it draws down the battery. I don't intend to use the app. I have no connection to RIM and I'm not a software developer. My interest is purely to see if it can be done. But if you'd like to try to create the app, I'll be glad to test it for you.

09-14-09 09:10 PM
    How long would it take you to verify it?
    09-14-09 09:26 PM
    I don't think it would take long to verify. You send me the app. I install it on my Tour and set it on the table and don't touch it for 30 minutes. If the Tour doesn't lock, you've got something to show to RIM. I can't help you with that. Nor can I endorse you or let you even mention my name. But you won't need me, specifically, anyway. If you can defeat the password lock on one device, you can defeat it on all.
    09-14-09 09:41 PM
    So I have something working on BIS, but I won't be surprised if it fails on BES. Anyone want to try?
    09-14-09 10:09 PM
    The first app to keep the light on worked to solve the problem. I am sure it will drain the battery faster, but i will not use it all the time. Battery life is horrible already anyway.
    09-18-09 11:12 PM
    The first app to keep the light on worked to solve the problem. I am sure it will drain the battery faster, but i will not use it all the time. Battery life is horrible already anyway.
    Which app are you referring to? If you have found an app that can defeat the password timer, that would be news.
    09-19-09 08:31 AM
    I have this same annoying IT feature on my berry. My timeout is 30 mins and my password must be 6 non-sequential characters including a number. PITA...
    I also have the same timeout software on my work laptop. It would constantly timeout in the middle of my presentations. My friend gave me a program that simulates a spacebar stroke every 5 mins to fool the laptop and now the security timeout doesn't happen when the program is running.
    Can an app be created like this for the berry? Maybe simulate a key stroke on the 'sym' button every 5, 10 or 20 mins? I would not be too interested in keeping my backlight on all the time.
    09-22-09 05:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD