Well, another app that works well, has a good design, but has developers that decided in all their wisdom that it should be in memory all the time and it should not be up to the user as to whether it is always loaded or whether it can be simply run when the user wants to use it.

The program even auto-run's if you don't allow it to auto-sign in, so it just sits in the background on the login screen...

Add this to the list of applications that end up in the trash because we don't get to choose... darn... could have been a good app... it's just not important enough to let it drain my device and use valuable resources...

P.S. If I missed it somewhere that the auto run can be turned off, let me know... I didn't notice it for a while... and if someone wants to take the time to let the linkedin folks know we don't like others controlling what runs and what doesn't... feel free (I'm not gonna throw any time at that brick wall)...

Forums rock for venting!
    03-30-10 10:38 PM
    app looks nice. Only issue i have is the thing keep running even after closing it.
    03-31-10 05:46 PM
    Without knowing what resources it uses in the background, I don't really see how it can be deemed as "draining"...
    03-31-10 05:48 PM
    Thats the one issue I had with it too. I don't use linkedin nearly enough to have to have it constantly updating.
    03-31-10 06:46 PM
    I agree, very stupid design in not letting us close. SmrtGuard is the only app I am ok with staying on 24/7.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    03-31-10 07:10 PM
    Heh. yeah. I got rid of that POS program after I couldn't exit the program. I'm glad I'm not the only one that didn't like that.
    03-31-10 07:13 PM
    I have been getting a memory leak, not sure if theme or this app. Just removed this app and will see how the memory leak goes.
    03-31-10 08:57 PM
    I deleted after I realized it drained 15% of my battery in about an hour and a half, and I couldn't close the app.
    03-31-10 09:24 PM
    I installed LinkedIn app late yesterday onto Verizon Curve 8330. I had none of the reported problems logging in & it asked if I wanted to link it to my contacts. (I said yes, although it sure would be nice if I knew what that meant.)

The interface is similar to the Facebook app. (For as long as this app's been in the works, you'd think they would have completely reinvented the wheel here.)

The developers seem overly enamoured with their icons though. They're huge, so combined with the fat title band, they take up 1 1/4 cm of a 3 3/4 cm high screen.

When you 'highlight' one of the 6 icons at the top, each will show you what it does: network updates, search, connections, invitations, messages, and... I dunno what the last one does. It doesn't have any box that tells you what it does and it doesn't do anything when you click it. Aptly enough, the icon is a head with a ? next to it. So they don't know either, obviously.

The updating seems slow.

I clicked the Connections icon last night, it got to 99% updated, showed a perpetual hourglass, then I got a white screen of death app error. I was able to reproduce the same scenario, so clearly there's a bug in the program.

Bottom line: I'm uninstalling it. Very disappointed. I'm a big LinkedIn user & I live on my Blackberry. Why the 2 entities that are so heavily used by business people can't get their collective heads together to design a workable app is a mystery. I fear that near-term updates will all be built on this framework & we'll be burdened with a bad core of code.
    04-01-10 03:41 PM
    i sent feedback asking why they left BIS-B support out, and why they make the app always running.

first, someone (i have to think from linkedin, but who knows) made their system send me 200 emails inviting me to use the app :/ (they said later that someone entered my email hundreds of times in their system and spammed me)

then they asked me what carrier i have, cause some people got errors with bis (not that it matters, since the app has no bis-b support, maybe they didn't know what that was)

finally, they said they have to be always running to make their thing...
    04-01-10 05:38 PM
    After uninstalling I am getting a lot less memory leak I was getting with it installed. I would get to 10 - 12 mb and now I am at 4.2mb from one day. Same theme and nothing else has changed.
    04-01-10 05:55 PM
    I have to agree with the majority here. Another highly-anticipated app that truly turned out to be a P.O.S. Always running in the background?? Comon! Facebook doesn't even do that!

It lasted about 6 hours on my BB before I ditched it.

C-YA!
    04-11-10 03:45 PM
    Same here. This was a highly anticipated application that was long overdue, and then delivered with astounding mediocrity. It lasted about 4 hours for me. Not being able to do anything with groups was very frustrating; staying in memory and auto-loading was the absolute killer.
    04-11-10 06:24 PM
    i sent feedback asking why they left BIS-B support out, and why they make the app always running.

first, someone (i have to think from linkedin, but who knows) made their system send me 200 emails inviting me to use the app :/ (they said later that someone entered my email hundreds of times in their system and spammed me)

then they asked me what carrier i have, cause some people got errors with bis (not that it matters, since the app has no bis-b support, maybe they didn't know what that was)

finally, they said they have to be always running to make their thing...
    No BIS-B because RIM asks for 2500$ and I don't know what other fees in order to have access. Yes,it needs to run to constantly get new messages. This is one app that needs push. Uninstalled because of this. I will use the mobile browser version when needed.
    04-12-10 08:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD