A while back I posted a thread letting everyone know that Toktumi was working on releasing a beta for BlackBerry devices which was to be named Line2. Today is the day. If you signed up you should have received an email inviting you to download the beta. You must be a current customer to try it out. For anyone not signed up, here are the details of the app:

It allows you to place and receive calls from your Toktumi number on your BlackBerry.

Benefits:

* Once enabled, makes all calls from your BlackBerry come from your toktumi number. Turn it off, and they come from your regular number. Switch back and forth easily.

* Place calls to contacts or numbers in call history as easily as placing normal calls.

* Get access to toktumi's low international calling rates from your BlackBerry.

* Reduce your cell phone bill by adding your toktumi number to your circle, favorites, or fave five.

* Access certain settings remotely, like Do Not Disturb and forwarding numbers.

* Upload your BlackBerry contacts into your toktumi address book, and vice versa.

To see the application in action, watch the 2 � minute Line2 intro here.
    As I've heard it put before, "Toktumi is Skype for grown-ups." I'm really excited as I personally use this service for one of my businesses and find it very cost effective, easy to use, and convenient. If you make a lot of calls like I do, an extra $15/month for unlimited calling as well as call management if unbeatable. The fact that you are able to show your business line's # on the caller ID, as opposed to your cell #, is also a big plus.

toktumi - virtual office phone service

On Your Cell Phone. On Your PC. On Your Terms.

• Comprehensive services to fit your mobile business lifestyle
    • Maximize productivity anywhere
    • Easy setup in just minutes
    • Get all of toktumi's powerful features for $14.95/month
    For more info on what exactly Toktumi is, visit the Toktumi Line2 website. You can also sign up for a, no strings attached, 30 day trial. When I signed up 6 months ago, they didn't even require a credit card to trick you and bill you later. I'm sure they're still doing this today. They're also offering fax service (similar to efax or fax.com). I would love to see integration of being able to receive your faxes on your phone too, in PDF format. It'd be pretty close to a complete virtual office.

I installed this on my Storm and, in true beta fashion, got an error when I tried to run it. Judging by the video, they used a Curve to test this app. I installed it on my 8830 as well and will test it out the rest of the day. This is really exciting, to me at least, because it marks today as a day that developers are getting closer to having true VoIP using cellular networks.

EDIT: Here's a list of supported models I received from support:

8350i
    8700g
    Last edited by 312; 08-07-09 at 04:57 AM.
    08-03-09 03:53 PM
    doesn't work on my Tour.
    08-04-09 07:15 PM
    Care to elaborate? Did you email [email protected] ?
    08-05-09 12:50 AM
    Care to elaborate? Did you email ?

I did...I'm waiting for a response right now.

After installing/loading the program, I got this error message when trying to run it:
    "Uncaught exception: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException"
    08-05-09 05:13 AM
    Yeah that's the same one I got on my Storm. I did give it a try on an 8830 I had laying around, although it was running 4.2 and I ran into quite a few problems. I am going to upgrade to 4.5 and give it another shot.
    08-05-09 05:15 AM
    Anyone get this to work? I tried it on my 8330 and 8830 and am having issues.
    08-06-09 11:20 PM
    So in essence it is like google voice (mostly), but a paid version

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-07-09 12:28 AM
    There's a lot more of a difference than just the price tag:

Google Voice - is it the right solution for small business? | Toktumi VoIP News
    08-07-09 02:08 AM
    There's a lot more of a difference than just the price tag:

Google Voice - is it the right solution for small business? | Toktumi VoIP News
    I understand that you are a big fan of the Toktumi service, but what the previous poster wrote, about it being a paid version of Google Voice (mostly), is pretty accurate.
    Yes, GV has no auto attendant, but it is possible for a small business to share a number and have it route just fine. GV allows you to add up to 6 phones. All a company would need to do is give 6 employees access to the account and create 6 different Contact Groups. Then,set up GV to ring the correct employees phone, based on the contact calling. If the caller is not on anyone's list, it rings 1 specific phone or all the phones. When the Sales person's contacts call it rings the sales phone, etc. Plus, there are some pretty common knowledge things you can do with call forwarding (outside of Google Voice) in order to connect several GV numbers.
    A company larger than 6 or a company that feels compelled to have an 800 number could easily pay for a single 800 number with a company like Toktumi and route them out to an army of GV numbers.
    Toktumi has a softphone, but GV has Gizmo5 and Sipgate number softphones. Dialing out merely requires a click in GV, since you're at the computer anyway.
    Yes, there is the branding issue, but seriously, its hardly an issue, IMO. If you set up your own greetings and names, there is only one instance you get the GV connecting you message. A fair trade off for a 100% discount? I think so.
    Don't get me wrong, Toktumi is a great service. Probably the best deal of all the alternatives, when GV invitations were nearly impossible to come by. But, as the Blog states, "You can't beat free."
    08-07-09 03:26 AM
    I understand that you are a big fan of the Toktumi service, but what the previous poster wrote, about it being a paid version of Google Voice (mostly), is pretty accurate.
    Yes, GV has no auto attendant, but it is possible for a small business to share a number and have it route just fine. GV allows you to add up to 6 phones. All a company would need to do is give 6 employees access to the account and create 6 different Contact Groups. Then,set up GV to ring the correct employees phone, based on the contact calling. If the caller is not on anyone's list, it rings 1 specific phone or all the phones. When the Sales person's contacts call it rings the sales phone, etc. Plus, there are some pretty common knowledge things you can do with call forwarding (outside of Google Voice) in order to connect several GV numbers.
    A company larger than 6 or a company that feels compelled to have an 800 number could easily pay for a single 800 number with a company like Toktumi and route them out to an army of GV numbers.
    Toktumi has a softphone, but GV has Gizmo5 and Sipgate number softphones. Dialing out merely requires a click in GV, since you're at the computer anyway.
    Yes, there is the branding issue, but seriously, its hardly an issue, IMO. If you set up your own greetings and names, there is only one instance you get the GV connecting you message. A fair trade off for a 100% discount? I think so.
    Don't get me wrong, Toktumi is a great service. Probably the best deal of all the alternatives, when GV invitations were nearly impossible to come by. But, as the Blog states, "You can't beat free."
    Sooo...we're going to turn this thread into a Toktumi Vs. Google Voice thread?

I mean, if you REALLY want to argue about it, start another thread and I'll be more than happy to debate it with you. You'll lose, but you're more than welcome to. Honestly, I really don't care what you think about it- I just want this damn app to work. I know it's not for everyone, but I've listed as much info as I have because someone will eventually search the forums for "Toktumi" and want to know about it.
    08-07-09 04:59 AM
    Sooo...we're going to turn this thread into a Toktumi Vs. Google Voice thread?

I mean, if you REALLY want to argue about it, start another thread and I'll be more than happy to debate it with you. You'll lose, but you're more than welcome to. Honestly, I really don't care what you think about it- I just want this damn app to work. I know it's not for everyone, but I've listed as much info as I have because someone will eventually search the forums for "Toktumi" and want to know about it.
    LOL. Such a confident young man. Good luck getting your app to work. My GV app works flawlessly on my Bold.
    08-07-09 11:35 AM
    any updates on the blackberry toktumi app....

I would really like to have it on my BB.....google voice ...although is a good app...the service sometimes doesn't always connect through.
    08-12-09 05:43 AM
    I'm going to try to find out. I haven't heard anything from them yet. I was really counting on things to materialize from here. Did you try to install it yet? I'm wondering if it'll work in compatibility mode on the Tour.
    08-12-09 05:45 AM
    I'm going to try to find out. I haven't heard anything from them yet. I was really counting on things to materialize from here. Did you try to install it yet? I'm wondering if it'll work in compatibility mode on the Tour.
    still getting the error message
    08-12-09 05:50 AM
    Just got the following email:

There is an update now available for Line2 for the BlackBerry. The update contains several bug fixes as well as some enhanced functionality on call-back calling. There is also a separate version for the BlackBerry Storm that better accommodates its screen size and aspect ratio.

To install the new version,Line2 v0.92, please follow the steps below:
    1. Uninstall the previous version from your device. From the Home screen, go to Options -> Advanced Options -> Applications. Scroll to Line2 in the list, then select Delete from the Menu. After Line2 is deleted, the BlackBerry will reboot.
    2. Download the new Line2 version from the toktumi web site.
    a. Storm users: http://www.toktumi.com/download/bb/l...0.92-storm.zip
    b. All other supported BlackBerry users: http://www.toktumi.com/download/bb/l...berry-0.92.zip
    3. Unzip the compressed file to a directory.
    4. Tether your Blackberry to a USB port, and run the BlackBerry Desktop Manager. The Desktop Manager software can be obtained at https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/entry.do.
    5. Launch the Application Loader from inside the Desktop Manager.
    6. Look to see if Line2 is in the list of applications already available. If so, highlight it and click �Delete.� This will ensure you do not reinstall the earlier version.
    7. Click the �Add�� button in the Application Loader and pick the ALX file from the files you just downloaded. Make sure it is version 0.92.
    8. The application should now appear in the list of items to install. Check the box next to �Line2,� and follow the instructions from there to finish the installation.
    9.The application should now be installed and ready to use!

We are always eager to get your feedback, so please email [email protected] with your thoughts, suggestions, critiques, and questions.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-13-09 09:14 AM
    tried the new app.....doesn't work well.....can't get calls to go through
    08-13-09 08:29 PM
    yeah, I kinda feel like their developer is a n00b.
    08-13-09 08:48 PM
    August 28, 2009

Dear Toktumi Subscriber,

There is an update now available for Line2 for the BlackBerry. The update fixes the following issues that had been reported since the last release:

* BlackBerry Storm crashes on initial load
    * Problem at login with BlackBerry 8350i
    * Call "looping" on some platforms

To install the new version, please follow the steps below:

1. Uninstall the previous version from your device. From the Home screen, go to Options -> Advanced Options -> Applications. Scroll to Line2 in the list, then select Delete from the Menu. After Line2 is deleted, the BlackBerry will reboot.
    2. Download the new version from the toktumi web site.
    a. Storm users: http://www.toktumi.com/download/bb/l...0.93-storm.zip
    b. All other supported BlackBerry users: http://www.toktumi.com/download/bb/l...erry-0.935.zip
    3. Unzip the compressed file to a directory.
    4. Tether your Blackberry to a USB port, and run the BlackBerry Desktop Manager. The Desktop Manager software can be obtained at https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/entry.do. You should be running Desktop Manager version 5.0.
    5. Launch the Application Loader from inside the Desktop Manager.
    6. Look to see if Line2 is in the list of applications already available. If so, highlight it and click "Delete." This will ensure you do not reinstall the earlier version.
    7. Click the "Add..." button in the Application Loader and pick the ALX file from the files you just downloaded. Make sure it is version 0.93 or 0.935, as appropriate.
    8. The application should now appear in the list of items to install. Check the box next to "Line2," and follow the instructions from there to finish the installation.
    9. The application should now be installed and ready to use!

We are always eager to get your feedback, so please email [email protected] with your thoughts, suggestions, critiques, and questions.

Regards,
    Eric Raab
    Chief Technology Officer
    08-28-09 10:19 AM
    so does it work for the Tour?
    08-28-09 10:23 AM
    so does it work for the Tour?

tried it out....closer....worked at first...then I used google voice app...and now the direct dial doesn't work, but the call back function works.
    08-28-09 04:52 PM
    any other experiences?
    08-30-09 07:51 AM
    Yeah I noticed the callback function is the only one that works.
    08-30-09 08:09 PM
    I recently started testing the toktumi service on my Curve 8330 & submitted a support ticket to toktumi when the direct callout function stopped working. Stupid me...I should have come back here to CB to see if anyone else was having problems -- I would have seen that I'm not alone.

The app was working at first, and in my case I am the reason my particular account is fubar. I deleted my cell number from the account in order to re-register with a new (better) toktumi number; then, all **** broke loose. hehehe

Well, this gives me a chance to see how quickly toktumi responds and how effective their support response is.

Have any of you guys subscribed beyond the testing period?
    09-08-09 01:03 PM
    I ported my home number to it.

I recently started testing the toktumi service on my Curve 8330 & submitted a support ticket to toktumi when the direct callout function stopped working. Stupid me...I should have come back here to CB to see if anyone else was having problems -- I would have seen that I'm not alone.

The app was working at first, and in my case I am the reason my particular account is fubar. I deleted my cell number from the account in order to re-register with a new (better) toktumi number; then, all **** broke loose. hehehe

Well, this gives me a chance to see how quickly toktumi responds and how effective their support response is.

Have any of you guys subscribed beyond the testing period?
    09-08-09 01:10 PM
    I ported my home number to it.
    Cool. So, other than the smartphone apps that are still being developed, you've been happy with the service overall?

Is there anything you don't like about the service?

I noticed that call quality (on my laptop) is terrible when I use the built-in microphone; however, call quality is excellent when I plug a headset into the laptop. Beyond that, I haven't had enough time with the service to judge quality.

I'm hopeful that this service is good enough for my small business use.
    09-08-09 01:19 PM
52 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD