Hello CB users! I downloaded google maps when I first got my Blackberry bold 9900 and I was in a creepy town filled with small lonely narrow roads, trees, and creepy looking houses and at night! I pulled out my BB and I launched google maps. The problem is, I had a really hard time finding the streets because the print was so tiny on google maps. Is there a way to fix this or is there alternative to google maps? In my experiance, the maps app that came preinstalled with my blackberry is not accurate and quite confusing. Please help and thank you in advance!
    12-12-11 07:28 PM
    I agree, the text is quite small for my 40+ year old eyes even on my 9800 with its relatively large screen. Imagine how it looked on my old Pearl 8100. That was small.

Unfortunately, the font size is fixed and there is no adjustment.

At least BB Maps (which is quite accurate in my area) has a minimum font size setting.

I've come to mainly use Google Maps to check the traffic in town before hitting the roads after work. I can recognize the road patterns enough without having to read the text.
    12-13-11 09:06 AM
    get Telenav!! Its 100x better than Google Maps.

It has voice turn by turn directions, so you dont have to read a list of directions ( or look at a map if u dont want to).

Plus, if you make a wrong turn it will still guide you based on your location.

Its only $10/yr and definitely worth it. Since getting Telenav I never use Google Maps.

http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/vendor/30
    Last edited by shemaree09; 12-13-11 at 10:18 AM.
    12-13-11 10:07 AM
    get Telenav!! Its 100x better than Google Maps.

It has voice turn by turn directions, so you dont have to read a list of directions ( or look at a map if u dont want to).

Plus, if you make a wrong turn it will still guide you based on your location.

Its $10/yr but definitely worth it. Since getting Telenav I never use Google Maps.

TeleNav Inc - BlackBerry App World
    Or just download and install LifeInPocket, it is free and has turn by turn navigation with voice along with traffic, news, social media, finance, and much more.
    12-13-11 10:19 AM
    Sign up for beta testing, and download Blackberry Traffic 3.0.1! It now includes voice guidance, and has been absolutely flawless. Best of all ITS FREE! Its a viable option to VZ Navigator, and TeleNav, both paid apps.
    blackburberry likes this.
    12-13-11 11:06 AM
    I agree, the text is quite small for my 40+ year old eyes even on my 9800 with its relatively large screen. Imagine how it looked on my old Pearl 8100. That was small.

Unfortunately, the font size is fixed and there is no adjustment.

At least BB Maps (which is quite accurate in my area) has a minimum font size setting.

I've come to mainly use Google Maps to check the traffic in town before hitting the roads after work. I can recognize the road patterns enough without having to read the text.
    Thanks, I actually used BB Maps today and it was pretty dead on, except it doesn't really show you 'the fastest way' but it did the job. One question though, Let say I'm driving and BB Maps shows me one rout, if I miss a street or take another street, will it re-rout automatically? Or is there a way to do that manually?
    12-13-11 05:26 PM
    Thanks, I actually used BB Maps today and it was pretty dead on, except it doesn't really show you 'the fastest way' but it did the job. One question though, Let say I'm driving and BB Maps shows me one rout, if I miss a street or take another street, will it re-rout automatically? Or is there a way to do that manually?
    You definitely need to use BB traffic it works in conjunction with BB maps to provide the fastest route, current traffic conditions, automatic rerouting, and as soon as its official voice guidance. There is an official version in app world right now. The current beta release has the voice guidance.
    Last edited by Thachoc1; 12-13-11 at 05:49 PM.
    12-13-11 05:44 PM
    Sign up for beta testing, and download Blackberry Traffic 3.0.1! It now includes voice guidance, and has been absolutely flawless. Best of all ITS FREE! Its a viable option to VZ Navigator, and TeleNav, both paid apps.
    Thanks Thachoc1! This app now sits on my top row of icons!

TIP: Tried loading this from (desktop) app world and I received a message stating that my device (9900) and location were not supported. I downloaded and installed it through the device and it works just fine.
    Last edited by blackburberry; 12-14-11 at 07:27 AM.
    12-14-11 07:23 AM
    I just wanted to add one more thing.

To ensure you don't incur extra charges from your data carrier when using any GPS or location service on your phone make sure Location Data and Location Aiding are Disabled When Roaming. You'll find those settings under Options/Device/Location Settings.
    Last edited by blackburberry; 12-14-11 at 08:31 AM.
    12-14-11 08:27 AM
    Thanks Thachoc1! This app now sits on my top row of icons!

TIP: Tried loading this from (desktop) app world and I received a message stating that my device (9900) and location were not supported. I downloaded and installed it through the device and it works just fine.
    Glad to help!
    12-14-11 09:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD