I'm new to the BlackBerry world and will be getting the BlackBerry curve soon and was wondering if I can load and run applications from a mini sd card? I am coming from the Treo world which has a number of applications that can launch programs from the SD card.
    07-17-08 11:11 PM
    Apps need to be installed on the device and run from the device memory.

There is a 3rd party software program that allows you to load apps on a micro SD card and swap them to the device when you want to utilize those apps and back to the card when not using them:

Aerize Card Loader 2008 - SD card install utility - Personal Productivity BlackBerry Software - Crackberry Store
    07-17-08 11:45 PM
    I have this software and it is very convenient. However keep in mind swap is not really what it's doing. It will uninstall the program from your BB and store the .cod file on you SD card. Then you can reinstall it from the SD card when you want. Saved data will be gone on an unload and you'll need to reboot. I talked to their tech support and they hope to be able to actually run an app from the SD card at some point. Can't wait for that!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-18-08 12:21 AM
    Thanks! I'm glad to hear that a company might be trying to get applications to be stored and launched on the mini sd card. It only makes sense that this can happen... I have to admit that I am totally surprised that this hasn't happened yet since the memory cards have become so much cheaper and would be an effective way to store and more importantly run programs from!
    07-18-08 12:25 AM
    I'd be very wary of this company's promises. You are correct that it doesn't launch apps from the SD card, but do a search on Aerize in these forums. There is a lot of skepticism that launching apps from SD is even feasible. I've been able to store databases on my SD card (documents, for example), and then read those using a program installed on my device, but actually launching the programs from SD is very different.

I bought another program from this company (Optimizer) and it created huge issues on my Curve. I deleted and no more problems. I've written to tech support and got no reply whatsoever so my opinion of this company is not very high right now. I do not believe that program does what it claims at all, and will never purchase anything else from this company.
    07-18-08 09:03 PM
    The BB is designed to only store music, videos, ringtones, & photos on the micro SD.

You can get third party apps for the BB (though not as many as for MS Palms, alas), but with the current Operating System, you need to take care than you don't mess with your File Free Memory (you need at least 10,000,000, or else your BB will unilaterally and without warning start deleting call logs, e-mails, & calendar entries).

07-18-08 09:24 PM
    I don't think some of U realize that for us former Treo users, running apps from the card was huge. To many of us, it was truly a surprise to discover this is not possible on a BB.

Memory is precious which made this ability a godsend. Personally I don't need my BB *media* card full of stuff I would rather look at on a bigger screen.

Look at a picture on a Pearl. Now look at that same picture on the iPod Touch- Priceless!

07-18-08 09:33 PM
    Lex is absolutely correct. Why RIM never implemented
    this is a complete mystery to me. But it is the one
    thing that disappoints me about the BB.
    07-18-08 09:51 PM
    Lex is absolutely correct. Why RIM never implemented
    this is a complete mystery to me. But it is the one
    thing that disappoints me about the BB.
    AG, what disappoints me more is the people who dont realize that this is possible on Treo(s) and WMo devices. Yet when it's spoken about on a BB forum, one almost feels like they're about to be crucified- almost as though they think we're making this stuff up.

I seriously feel that some of these device manufacturers need to have a sit down with each other and talk. Don't get me wring, I enjoy the BB, but every once in a while I get hit with a desire to re-activate my 755p.
    07-18-08 10:00 PM
    Lex: No argument there. And the "snobbery" of BB users that
    somehow say this is acceptable and you should just live with
    it is truly annoying. H3ll some of the most basic "regular"
    phones can accomplish this feat and RIM, the uber business
    device, with limited memory hasn't. Simply amazing
    07-18-08 10:26 PM
    Don't get me wrong -- I am an ex-Palm user myself. I LOVED running applications from my SD card, and did it all the time. If RIM could do something similar, I'd be in heaven! It would also solve a lot of user issues with memory, I'd think.
    07-18-08 10:26 PM
    Don't get me wrong -- I am an ex-Palm user myself. I LOVED running applications from my SD card, and did it all the time. If RIM could do something similar, I'd be in heaven! It would also solve a lot of user issues with memory, I'd think.
    I'm in total agreement with you. Also, memory NOT being an issue would mean the ability to buy MORE apps. Based on the memory limitations, some of us only have the apps we need. I for one dont buy and install every app that I come across- no matter how great it may sound. With my Palm Treo, I had so many apps it looked like my desktop PC.
    07-18-08 10:50 PM
    I guess RIM didn't think that they had to take a look at their competitors offerings and include those abilities in their phones.

Doing your own thing is fine and dandy but you've gotta kick the competition in the **** sometimes...Just to show em a thing or two.

Dm
    07-19-08 08:29 AM
    I guess RIM didn't think that they had to take a look at their competitors offerings and include those abilities in their phones.

Doing your own thing is fine and dandy but you've gotta kick the competition in the **** sometimes...Just to show em a thing or two.

Dm
    And that's normally why people give up on one manufacturer for another. I personally stuck with Palm for so many years; not out of loyalty, but because I didnt know what else was out there. Also, it takes a lot to decide that it's time to move on. I no longer felt that Palm was doing anything to keep the platform alive and no matter how popular the Treo is/was, it didnt make up for failed expectations.

I dont think its too much to ask that my phone not randomly reset when it wants too. H3ll, the most common fix for a BB is to remove the battery; but for other phones I've had, removing the battery didnt do much.
    07-19-08 08:37 AM
    Forget aerize. I had it and it would swap but then you couldn't get the application back!

07-19-08 09:13 AM
    Forget aerize. I had it and it would swap but then you couldn't get the application back!

Not understanding what you mean by not getting the applications back.
    07-19-08 09:20 AM
    What I mean is I could swap it to the card but couldn't swap it back to device memory.

07-19-08 09:29 AM
    And that's normally why people give up on one manufacturer for another. I personally stuck with Palm for so many years; not out of loyalty, but because I didnt know what else was out there. Also, it takes a lot to decide that it's time to move on. I no longer felt that Palm was doing anything to keep the platform alive and no matter how popular the Treo is/was, it didnt make up for failed expectations..
    I actually was one of the lucky ones I guess with my Treo 655 -- I rarely had issues with it, but I know others had huge pproblems, hence the class action lawsuit. I'd used Palm OS since the Palm III days, so over the years I'd invested a ton on software, plus I had a pretty decent grasp of how things worked, so if problems occurred, I knew how to fix them. Consequently I was reluctant to switch and didn't bother to look at what else was out there. But like you, I felt that Palm had abandoned the platform and just seemed poorly managed in general, so I started looking at alternatives.

Being unable to launch apps from SD is my biggest disappointment with my BB. Like AG, I had so many apps that my Palm was like a desktop PC. I even had one nifty little app that allowed me to unzip small apps on the fly to save space if needed. Then the were all the neat hacks and desk accessories I had. I also miss my DA's, because - could call up a clock, calculator, or unit converter on top of another app without having to close it or switch.

I'm drifting off point here, but I strongly believe that if RIM fixed the SD issue, they would see market share jump, and users would benefit from more software being developed including lower prices due to more competition and greater developer interest.

07-19-08 09:52 AM
    I gotta chime in here...

Yes, it would be great if BB OS would support apps running from the card. I'm sure it will eventually, but for now they have limited use of the card support to just reading files (files of certain type). Limited use, means more control, wich makes things more stable. I think you would agree that the efforts of BB to enhance other parts of their system are more valuable than running some apps off of the card. Also, with the cost of memory plummeting, and the control of greater volumes of solid state memory increasing, it makes sense that a unit could be designed that had gobs and gobs of memory on board. Wouldn't it be cool to have a BB device with 16GB of on-board memory, and include a slot to drop in a portable card?

Also, in my opinion, Palm HAD TO allow apps to run from the card. The OS was so unstable it would force a total restore of the system, including apps, every time it crashed. Backing up to a card and running apps from a card meant there is less for the OS to screw up when it fails. Since BB is coming from being an extension of a network -- a connected device -- the reasons for needing a card are totally different than the Palm. Palm grew out of being a standalone address book, and became more unstable with more features added.

Of course, now they're both connected, so features will continue to merge. Just let your voice be heard and have some patience. I've only been on a BB for a month now, but I can't see any reason to return to Palm OS.
    07-23-08 09:34 AM
    A little birdie told me os 5.0 will have this feature. But god knows when we will start seeing betas for this.

08-01-08 01:50 PM
    I wish we could!
    So I'll just have another beer and get over it.

��
    ��=8'} *hick*

08-01-08 02:02 PM
    My biggest disappointment is that it's not convenient to change the memory stick being behind the battery and that we can't run applications from the memory stick.

I agree that it might be more stable for the BB OS to not have launchers from memory sticks, but with the Iphone and other devices having more memory or the ability to run programs from the memory stick is a huge benefit.

I've been a Palm Treo user for many years until last Friday! I love the Blackberry Curve... But think a few things could be improved.
    08-04-08 01:35 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD