Amazon has finally released a Kindle app for the BlackBerry!
    02-18-10 07:11 AM
    Just downloaded it and checked out a sample book. Very cool app.
    02-18-10 08:11 AM
    well apparently there is a problem now with the download link. I have been trying for .5 hr without success, I keep getting thrown back to the amazon website log-in page, and I see several others are having the same issue. I hope they fix it soon.
    02-18-10 08:59 AM
    Anybody else having problems?
    It seemed to install on my Tour no problem but would give an error when I try to run it:
    Error starting kindle: Module 'kindle-1' has verification errors.
    or:
    Error starting kindle: Error loading module 'kindle' OutOfMemoryError.

I did a battery pull, still got the errors... reinstalled it, still getting the errors. I have over 50MB of app memory free even on a bad day, so I doubt I'm really "out of memory"
    02-18-10 09:15 AM
    Getting the same error... "Error starting kindle: Error loading module 'kindle' OutOfMemoryError." on a 9630 Tour. I guess that's why it's a beta...
    02-18-10 09:34 AM
    No problems on my Tour. Just downloaded my first book! Very nice app.
    02-18-10 09:52 AM
    Can anyone figure out how to change the font? Size yes, but I don't like serif fonts
    02-18-10 10:30 AM
    No problems on my Tour. Just downloaded my first book! Very nice app.
    funny... you're running 5.0 and it works fine... I'm on good old fully-supported 4.7 and it doesn't work
    02-18-10 10:31 AM
    Yep, not working on my T-Mo 8900 either. I get "Error starting kindle: Module 'kindle-2' has verification errors", then, when I run it again, I get "Error starting kindle: Class org.xml.sax.SAXException' not found. When I start it a third time, it starts the cycle over.
    02-18-10 11:20 AM
    Mods, any chance of getting 10 more new threads regarding the Kindle app release?
    I'm not sure if it is out yet.
    02-18-10 11:29 AM
    I've never used Kindle...is it just like an Amazon client for buying books through digital distribution, or are there free books available there too?
    02-18-10 12:10 PM
    I've never used Kindle...is it just like an Amazon client for buying books through digital distribution, or are there free books available there too?
    There are many free books, including several classics (works by Wilde, Fitzgerald, etc.).
    02-18-10 01:35 PM
    Works fine on my Tour 9630 with stock 4.7.
    02-18-10 01:47 PM
    There are some free ebooks available on Amazon. As well you can download free ebooks from feedbooks or freekindlebooks both of which have several classics that are past their copyright period.

Just download the Mobi/Kindle version of the book you want, then move that file into the /kindle/ebooks directory on your media card. Then restart Kindle (if it's already running).
    Last edited by rmjones101; 02-18-10 at 01:57 PM.
    02-18-10 01:53 PM
    This app does not work on a Tour with version 4.7 certified release. So I would say that it is not ready.
    02-18-10 01:53 PM
    Wife heard this and was super excited...but not for 8330. hope they are working on this to work with 8330. The 83xx section of this site has the biggest topics, so i image it has the most users. Which most users=more money for them.
    02-18-10 03:24 PM
    This app does not work on a Tour with version 4.7 certified release. So I would say that it is not ready.
    It's a beta.
    02-18-10 03:33 PM
    Well, for those being bounced back to the Kindle page when trying to download it, Amazon has identified your device as "not being supported". Amazon is identifying the devices based on their user-agent string.

I have an Curve 8330 which of course is not on their list... but I couldn't let that stop me from installing it.

I used user-agent switcher in Firefox on my PC to make it think I was a blackberry tour. With that I was able to download the JAD file and get the hidden URL for the actual download.

This is the download URL:
    https://klamath.s3.amazonaws.com/rc8b/kindle.jad
    (I had to break up the URL to post since I haven't posted here enough times to have a live link)

With that URL I was able to install the Kindle app on my BB 8330.

Everything appeared to be working, until I went to download a book :-(.

For some reason every book I download is failing. I'm not sure yet if this is a space issue, or something else going on. I'm running the 5.0 BB OS from this forum.

Anyway, on the off chance that might help someone else, I figured I'd post the information.
    02-18-10 04:50 PM
    Ok, forget that, it works fine on my 8330.

Apparently it is not forgiving if you change screens when downloading a book. As long as you sit there while it downloads it works fine.

As a result Kindle for BB is successfully working on my 8330 BB OS v.0.0.230
    02-18-10 05:28 PM
    Gahhhhhh!!!! Not available in Canada as yet. =(

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-18-10 05:31 PM
    Gahhhhhh!!!! Not available in Canada as yet. =(

@Sandesh_vg

Out of curiosity, did you try the link I posted above for OTA installation?

If they don't have the user-agent test on that URL, its possible they also don't have the country test.
    02-18-10 05:38 PM
    I didn't... But I did some poking around today and even if I were able to get the app insttalled, it would be useless since I wouldn't be able to log into my account as it contains my geo location as a part of my account profile.

02-18-10 05:40 PM
    Do you have to create an account to read books? I have plenty of mobi books (witthout DRM) but I see no way of opening them. I did move some to the kindle\eBooks directory.
    02-18-10 06:45 PM
    I'm way excited about this - just downloaded the app onto my T-Mobile 8520 and it works fine!

02-18-10 07:21 PM
    Well, for those being bounced back to the Kindle page when trying to download it, Amazon has identified your device as "not being supported". Amazon is identifying the devices based on their user-agent string.

I have an Curve 8330 which of course is not on their list... but I couldn't let that stop me from installing it.

I used user-agent switcher in Firefox on my PC to make it think I was a blackberry tour. With that I was able to download the JAD file and get the hidden URL for the actual download.

This is the download URL:
    https://klamath.s3.amazonaws.com/rc8b/kindle.jad
    (I had to break up the URL to post since I haven't posted here enough times to have a live link)

With that URL I was able to install the Kindle app on my BB 8330.

Everything appeared to be working, until I went to download a book :-(.

For some reason every book I download is failing. I'm not sure yet if this is a space issue, or something else going on. I'm running the 5.0 BB OS from this forum.

Anyway, on the off chance that might help someone else, I figured I'd post the information.
    As a mod I can edit other's posts, so I fixed your link in case anyone wants to use it to get kindle.
    02-18-10 07:44 PM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD