Anyone hear if/when the kindle app will be available for the new 9900?
    09-03-11 05:51 AM
    You are going to download and read books on the 9900?
    09-03-11 05:57 AM
    Was doing that with my 9650 and the bigger screen on the 9930 will be even better.
    09-03-11 06:12 AM
    You are going to download and read books on the 9900?
    It isn't something you'd want to do fulltime, but it was quite handy with my 9780 to read a few pages here and there when I didn't have my kindle with me and the page count does get synched after all.

The slightly worrying thing is amazon's apathy to blackberry, they never launched their blackberry app officially outside north america and keep claiming the playbook app is on the way, so os7 support might be some way off too.
    09-03-11 06:59 AM
    The slightly worrying thing is amazon's apathy to blackberry, they never launched their blackberry app officially outside north america and keep claiming the playbook app is on the way, so os7 support might be some way off too.
    Ugh, this is so disappointing. I'm absolutely loving my 9930, but it seems that so much of the industry has just decided that BB is dead and there's no use even trying to please/support it's users.

Most apps from OS 6 seem to work fine on OS 7, but unfortunately the Kindle app is not one of them I sent Amazon an email about it...at first they thought I was asking about the Playbook (that is, they didn't read past the first word of the subject line), then they simply responded, "The Kindle for Blackberry app is currently supported on the blah blah blah." Soooo, it would seem they not only care little for device support, but also customer service
    09-18-11 12:24 AM
    This and the Amazon.com app are the two apps I am waiting for the most on my 9900...
    09-18-11 12:47 AM
    I sent them a email last night also. I hope that there is an upgrade for OS 7 as I have purchased books and can't read them. I didn't realize until I read your post that the app doesn't work for my phone. This is a real problem.
    09-18-11 01:15 PM
    I read Kindle books all the time on my Bold 9000. (My Kindle is next to the bed, the 9000 goes with me everywhere & is easy to read). I am holding off getting the 9900 till there is a Kindle app. I wrote to Amazon and got the same answer - we have an app for the blah blah blah, but as there is no app on our web site it is not available for the Playbook or 9900. what i asked was WHEN!!
    12-09-11 08:31 PM
    I read Kindle books all the time on my Bold 9000. (My Kindle is next to the bed, the 9000 goes with me everywhere & is easy to read). I am holding off getting the 9900 till there is a Kindle app. I wrote to Amazon and got the same answer - we have an app for the blah blah blah, but as there is no app on our web site it is not available for the Playbook or 9900. what i asked was WHEN!!
    Don't hold your breath for it, but this workaround works fine. Like you, I read Kindle books all the time on my BB. People who think this is hard on the eyes haven't tried it. With large enough type, it's easier than reading a newspaper, something that people used to do all the time.

But Skeevecr is right, and it's more than slightly worrying. Amazon appears to be utterly indifferent to BB, if not outright hostile. I think everyone should be sending them mails requesting this, but I don't know if it will be effective.
    danfrancisco and starman011 like this.
    12-09-11 08:50 PM
    Ugh, this is so disappointing. I'm absolutely loving my 9930, but it seems that so much of the industry has just decided that BB is dead and there's no use even trying to please/support it's users.

Most apps from OS 6 seem to work fine on OS 7, but unfortunately the Kindle app is not one of them I sent Amazon an email about it...at first they thought I was asking about the Playbook (that is, they didn't read past the first word of the subject line), then they simply responded, "The Kindle for Blackberry app is currently supported on the blah blah blah." Soooo, it would seem they not only care little for device support, but also customer service
    If Rim could care less about making Blackberry customers happy...why should Amazon??
    12-10-11 03:14 AM
    I can't find the original post, but I saved the instructions it had. You CAN load the BB kindle app onto your 9900 and it seems to work perfectly well. You just have to follow these instructions (thanks to whomever the original author is who published this somewhere in the crackberry forums...)

The Kindle app can be set up to work perfectly on your Bold 9900/9930 - here's how to do it, and it doesn't require any technical skill at all.

First, download the latest version of the Kindle app from this address using your BB:

http://klamath.s3.amazonaws.com/KindleBB102b/kindle.jad

Note that the above URL is case-sensitive - so make sure you exactly duplicate the uppercase/lowercase characters as shown!

You have to get it from here directly because the Amazon website won't redirect you to it once it recognises your BB as a 9900/9930, but don't worry, because this is the direct address to which approved devices are automatically redirected, so it's the official version of the app.

When you have the app on your BB, open it. You will see the Kindle splash screen, and your BB will stall there.

Leaving the app open at the flash screen, connect your BB to your PC using the USB cable, and when your BB prompts you to choose between three connection options, click on "USB Drive". Wait a few seconds, then disconnect your BB, and the Kindle app will have started up. Since you are not yet logged in, you'll just see a highlightable bar saying "Archived Items (0)", but click on that and you'll be directed to the Kindle log-in page. Log in, and the list will refresh itself. You can download anything you want from your Kindle library and you're good to go.
    danfrancisco, niss63 and PeteIN like this.
    12-10-11 07:07 AM
    this trick works perfectly!
    12-28-11 10:04 PM
    It worked for me too!
    12-29-11 03:29 PM
    Way cool, even if you exit, it will let you restart.

I did have to leave it plugged into the PC while I logged in - it did funny things otherwise.
    01-05-12 12:49 AM
    I went to Amazon.com and simply downloaded the Kindle app to my new 9850 with no problems. I didn't have to do any "tricks", just downloaded and installed. Works good. I did notice that if I go to the menu and check the app version it says beta but I guess that means they are still improving it.
    01-05-12 07:51 AM
    I went to Amazon.com and simply downloaded the Kindle app to my new 9850 with no problems. I didn't have to do any "tricks", just downloaded and installed. Works good. I did notice that if I go to the menu and check the app version it says beta but I guess that means they are still improving it.
    It seems to be in permanent beta status. Unfortunately, the BB app hasn't been improved in any way since it was first made available. The Kindle app on my wife's iPhone has been updated any number of times. At least the BB app works, even if it doesn't have highlighting and annotation, as the iOS and Android apps do. But it's pretty clear that Amazon has little interest in BBs.
    01-05-12 08:06 AM
    I have been bugging Amazon about an app for the 9900. I have written a few emails & tonight I decided to have a "chat" with them. Below is a excerpt from the chat. Maybe if everybody wrote they would listen. I know there is a work around, but I'm not getting the phone till the app is official.

Me:I am a long time faithful Amazon customer. I love reading my Kindle books on my Kindle at home and on my Blackberry when out of the house. I don't understand why you are ignoring BlackBerry and not releasing a Kindle app for the 9900. I need a new phone, but if I buy the 9900 that ends my Kindle reading on my phone. I have written before & was told that as it is not listed on your web site, there is none. I don't need to be told that, I already know that. I just want to know WHEN there will be an app for the 9900!! Can't you pass my messages on to the app developers? I know other people are upset about it too!

Roopa:Thanks for waiting, Judith.
    I'm sorry for the inconvenience caused in this regard.
    I'll forwarded your concern and suggestions to our development team and we'll consider your feedback as we plan further improvements.
    I'll let the Kindle team know you're interested in this feature.

Me:That would be great. The phone has been out since last August, the Playbook has been out for a year & no Kindle app!!

Roopa:I'm sorry about that, Judith.
    Your valuable feedback will help us to improve the selection and service we provide and we're glad you took time to write to us.
    The Kindle team will carefully review your comments.
    01-14-12 09:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD