07-01-12 07:59 PM
I'm Tera - the Community Manager for Kik. I just wanted to make a dedicated thread for any questions or suggestions about the app.
Currently, it's available on BB and iPhone and is free to download from Kik | Text Anyone for Free from your phone.
We have a lot more news coming up this summer so check back or join us on Facebook (facebook.com/kikplaynice) or Twitter (@kik).
Last edited by tera_kristen; 06-23-10 at 02:40 PM.06-21-10 02:15 PM
- You said soon we (North Americans) will be able to text anyone no matter where in the world they are. Does that also mean people from overseas (Asia, Europe, etc) will be able to download the app on their BB or iPhones as well and text free of charge to other overseas countries (Us)? With phone numbers no longer being used, I'm just assuming or rather hoping that is the case : O) This international texting is really all I care about and I understand there's a lot of work you all need to do. Appreciate the things you are all doing there. That was my last question and thanks a lot once again.
Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com06-24-10 07:30 AM
- @TAF - Yes, currently Kik registration (as well as sending messages) is done using a 10 digit phone number limited to North America. In upcoming releases we will not be requiring a phone number for registration (we will use email instead) this will allow users around the world to register for Kik.
We also have a few surprises up our sleeve about who you can message that will make it a lot easier (and also you won't have to give up your phone number!). All the new features (coming this summer) will make it the application much more useful and robust.
We hope you stick around and I will let everyone know when our service is updated06-24-10 02:26 PM
- @mmcapone - Yes, if you go to m.kik.com from your mobile browser to download you would choose the 96xx Tour version.
@zeeraf - The point of the SMS credits is so that you can message someone even if they don't have the app. When you message another person with the app it does not take away from your credits - it is always free and unlimited. When you message someone that does not have the app it sends the message as an SMS - taken off your credits - and to the recipient it will be appearing to come from a local phone number assigned by our server. Your recipient can then use that number as your Kik messaging number (and when they download Kik we will automatically switch you over to free messaging).
The point of the SMS credits is so that you are not limited to messaging only those with the app - we're hoping this will make it easier for people to learn about Kik and for you to tell your friends.
A question that I have for everyone - and that I'm always wondering - how can we make this better? Not only the application but also the way it is being marketed.06-25-10 12:06 PM
- Anyone using Kik on your Bold 9650? I installed it but it won't actually open. It shows up in the task switcher, but when you switch to it, nothing happens. Once or twice it did let me switch to it but the screen turned totally white like the app was frozen or something. I've done several battery pulls, reinstalled, etc. to no avail. Any ideas?06-25-10 06:34 PM
- I wish there was an option to only show contacts with Kik accounts. Maybe a tab or Kik contacts and another tab or other contacts? Or maybe an option to set contacts up in groups (if this is implemented, please allow custom group names!). And do contacts update themselves?
A quick question: if I send SMS to two different non-Kik contacts, will they get messages from the same number?06-26-10 01:49 PM
- I currently have the Bold900 and when I receive a Kik message it doesn't make a sound!! It vibrates but does not make any noise!!
Also, is there anyway to see in your contacts list ONLY the people who have Kik. I know Whatsapp and similar programs allow you to do so. This is an awesome app...keep the updates coming!!06-28-10 08:19 PM
- There is an Android beta available now from the Marketplace! Now - Kik is the first instant messenger app to have a public beta available for BB, iPhone and Android.
And thanks for your suggestions - we're definitely working on more elegant and functional address book options.
@juicebox666 - It really depends on the phone numbers of the two recipients. If their phones are on the same network, and they live near one another they may receive Kik messages from you from the same number. But it all depends - so they may not.
@hbrown352 - Make sure you are using the latest version of Kik - which you can download from App World. The push notifications of the latest version are tied into your BlackBerry profile settings - so if you have your profile set to Loud you should get a tone notification. I really enjoy making my own sound profiles in BB - this way I never know when I have work emails - and I always know when someone is sending me a Kik message
I'm realizing that Kik will never replace BBM (people love it too much anyway) - but we're definitely like it's twin sibling who's allowed to talk to whomever we want! What do you guys use Kik the most for?06-29-10 03:50 PM
- I installed kik on my Storm2 and installed it on my wifes iPhone. We really like it for messaging back and fourth. I like the fact that it looks and feels similar to BBM. The sent, read receipts make it for me.. again, just like BBM.
I noticed the iPhone app has time stamps on each message but the BB app does not. Is that something that will be added in the future?
Also, video, pic and audio note messaging is nice to have... will that be added as well?
My kids have iTouches, will it be possible for them to use kik when the user codes come out?
Thanks... great app... keep the options coming and make it just as good as BBM!
Also, when you rework the address book, will my contact pics show up in kik, right now they don't.
Last edited by Sparro; 06-30-10 at 09:15 PM.06-30-10 09:05 PM
- hello, i installed kik messager and have a couple questions. I have 147/150 sms credits, what happens when i run out? does it renew ever month, meaning go back to 150 or something? and i have this bug/error. I am able to send sms messages but don't receive any back when my friends text back to the message they get from me.07-01-10 08:32 PM
- @Sparro - I'm so glad that you like the app - and it's making your life easier! For the time stamps try highlighting the individual message in your conversation thread - in the top right hand corner you should see a time stamp.
@Yell0w - Yes, those credits will renew each month - we will never automatically charge you for credit usage. If you want to purchase more you have to do that within the app. Remember though - Kik to Kik is free and doesn't use credits so hopefully you can talk some of your friends into downloading
To everyone: The next update is coming very, very soon - there are a couple extra features in there that should make the app much more interesting and useful. This summer is going to be very eventful for us and I promise to keep you updated on the forum throughout (and as I learn more from the secretive developers07-05-10 12:30 PM
- Hey guys,
At Kik, we're having a mini contest. We would like to know how you describe Kik to your friends. We're trying to think of a one liner that really captures what Kik Messenger is all about. So give it a shot and submit your answers right in the forum (this contest is also taking place on other forums, our Facebook and our Twitter). Let us know in a sentence what you think Kik is and have a chance to win the mystery prize. Here's a hint...07-06-10 09:02 PM
- So I'm not sure I understand how the SMS charges work when it comes to buying sms messages. No where in the app do I see a place to purchase sms messages. I clicked on the SMS credits button, which opens a browser page an states I was given 150 credits for free and it says the same thing everytime. Now I have 10000 credits, and I was never prompted on purchasing anything. How do you bill your customers, because if i was charged I would like to cancel this. I don't need any credits.07-13-10 10:44 PM
- So I'm not sure I understand how the SMS charges work when it comes to buying sms messages. No where in the app do I see a place to purchase sms messages. I clicked on the SMS credits button, which opens a browser page an states I was given 150 credits for free and it says the same thing everytime. Now I have 10000 credits, and I was never prompted on purchasing anything. How do you bill your customers, because if i was charged I would like to cancel this. I don't need any credits.
You only use those credits when messaging with non-Kik friends, like when you send an invite for your friends to join Kik.07-13-10 10:56 PM
Enjoy!07-14-10 12:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD