Just got an 8330 for Verizon. I was just wondering what I should be doing as far as the OS and Apps are concerned. I have the Opera browser and a few others, but what else should I look into? Is Opera really that much better than the default one? I noticed that the web pages look more like they do on a regular computer, which I like. What about operating systems? Should I keep what I have now or download something else? What about firmware? I feel like a little kid learning to walk...ha

Here is what it says now:

V4.5.0.77 (platform 3.2.0.51)

I have no idea what any of this even means. I know there are other pinned threads but I didn't want this to get lost. Sorry for all the questions, but I don't want to ruin my phone on the very first day

Thanks in advance!
    05-27-09 03:57 PM
    Opera mini allows you to view some sites better than the native BB browser does. One good thing to get is the Crackberry launcher. Go to m.crackberry.com on your device and scroll down. Once you have it go to options/ crackberry launcher and you can change where it takes you to either forums or index. And you can change the color of the icon too. Go here using your device browser for apps http://m.crackberry.com/otaapps.html
    As far as your OS goes its fine to leave what you have on there. The newer OS versions are made to fix minor bugs in prior releases. I dont recommend anyone upgrade thier OS until they are very familiar with their device. Take some time to read the link in my signature about proper upgrade/downgrade procedure for more detailed instructions on upgrading. There are newer OS versions for your device in the stickies in the top of this forum. Its entirely up to you though. If your device is working fine then leave it alone I guess. Welcome to CB!
    05-27-09 04:12 PM
    Welcome to Crackberry!

Get used to your new Curve first before trying to do OS upgrades.

Start simple. Try loading a new theme onto your Curve. Might I suggest a good theme here. There are three of them, take your pick:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f126/3-...00like-148771/

OTA links are Over The Air, so you need to click on the links using your Curve. Easiest way to do this is to copy the links on your PC, then email the link to yourself on your computer. Open your email on your Curve, then click on the link to download the theme.

.zip files need to be downloaded to your PC, extracted to their .cod and .alx files, then you need to use Desktop Manager's Application loader to load the theme file (Browse to the .alx file) to your Curve.

Once the theme is loaded on your Curve, go to Options > Themes. Select your new theme and click on it.
    05-27-09 04:14 PM
    One more thing. Make sure to close your apps by hitting the menu key then close. Hitting the back key or end call key will leave some certain apps running in the background consuming your file free. The memory optimization link in my signature is a good read too.
    05-27-09 04:14 PM
    While on the topic of good reading...

Read the BB 101 Lecture Series for interesting and helpful info on your new BB, the link is in my sig below.
    05-27-09 04:17 PM
    WOW...we bombarded him with alot of good info really fast. Congrats on your GOG status brother XL.
    05-27-09 04:20 PM
    WOW...we bombarded him with alot of good info really fast. Congrats on your GOG status brother XL.
    Thanks rlp, yeah we tag-teamed him pretty good.
    05-27-09 04:23 PM
    Like some of you mention, if your OS is working fine then don't upgrade. I did the mistake of upgrading to 4.5.0.81 a week after I got if from my cousin and then I started having problems but it wasn't the OS. It was apps like Facebook. If you don't use Facebook, stay away from it. It's known to cause problems. Crackberry Forums is very helpful. People know their stuff. I'm glad I'm part of this community.
    05-27-09 04:26 PM
    Here's a link with popular apps for your Curve:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/popu...d-links-21096/

A must have, IMO, is Pandora. It is a streaming music application.

Also, since you are on Verizon... regarding GPS, you can only use the onboard GPS in your Curve with VZNavigator and Blackberry Maps (free). All other third party GPS applications are locked out by Verizon.
    Last edited by xliderider; 05-27-09 at 04:31 PM.
    05-27-09 04:27 PM
    XL, I downloaded Pandora but I can't use it. Is it because it won't work on the T-Mobile EDGE network or do I need to be using WiFi? Thanks in advance.
    05-27-09 04:29 PM
    XL, I downloaded Pandora but I can't use it. Is it because it won't work on the T-Mobile EDGE network or do I need to be using WiFi? Thanks in advance.
    Seems there are a lot of T-Mo ppl who are having problems on Edge. Here is a search I just ran. Check out some of the threads, you might find something helpful.

http://forums.crackberry.com/search....rchid=16256362
    05-27-09 04:37 PM
    I would recommend downloading the Bolt browser. I like it much better than Opera Mini. Bolt Browser
    05-27-09 04:42 PM
    You should be able to use it. I use it with no problems. Have you done a battery pull after you installed it? Feel free to PM me so we dont hijack this thread.
    05-27-09 04:58 PM
    Get to know your BB first before upgrading OS or adding apps to phone.
    05-27-09 05:16 PM
    Thanks a lot guys. I have used pandora before on my laptop but right now I have slacker on my curve. I really like both programs. I have yet to experiment with themes but I probably will tonight. This device is absolutely wonderful.
    05-27-09 05:51 PM
    Your welcome. And once again welcome to cb. Enjoy your new Curve.
    05-27-09 05:52 PM
    Thanks a lot guys. I have used pandora before on my laptop but right now I have slacker on my curve. I really like both programs. I have yet to experiment with themes but I probably will tonight. This device is absolutely wonderful.
    You are very welcome.

Slacker is great as well. You should especially use the cache function for saving radio stations to the memory card. That way you can listen to Slacker radio even when there is no cell signal at all (subway, etc.), plus it doesn't use the radio transmitter/receiver so it saves on battery power.
    05-27-09 06:17 PM
    Here is another good link for apps. Welcome to crackberry....

http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/wha...ions-bb-14431/

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-27-09 06:33 PM
    XL and RL, I got Pandora to work. I did some research on the Pandora website. I had to change my network settings. I input APN wap.voicestream.com and it works. Thanks. :-)
    05-27-09 06:40 PM
    Check out the app store here, get the launcher for your device. There are some cool freebies there and alot of free-trials on the pay ones. A must have app if you text alot(especialy when driving...) is vlingo
    05-27-09 06:58 PM
    Hope you got alot of free time....welcome to crackberry!!!
    05-27-09 06:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD