No srsly...it's been done

VIDEO: Lewis Hamilton controls F1 car via Blackberry Storm

Vodaphone is a huge mobile communications company, and it's also the primary sponsor of the McLaren Mercedes F1 team. The video after the jump shows just what their millions of dollars in sponsorship money can buy: a viral video staring Lewis Hamilton. Vodaphone makes the Blackberry Storm mobile smart phone, and the video kicks off with some office nerds who have hacked the Storm to control an R/C F1 car. They use the phone's built-in accelerometer so that turning the phone like a steering wheel controls the car's direction. The accelerator and the brake, meanwhile, are controlled via buttons on the phone's touch screen.

After publishing a video of their office grand prix on the web, the team of programmers is invited to the garage of McLaren Mercedes where team engineers have adapted the system to control Lewis Hamilton's actual F1 car. Hilarity ensues when Hamilton himself takes the car out on the track, sans driver, and does a lap behind the wheel of the Blackberry Storm. It's an amusing viral video and halfway convincing if we weren't willing to swear on our mothers that McLaren Mercedes would never allow its multi-million dollar F1 car to be controlled via a phone, let alone outfit the car with enough servos to actually perform the functions of steering, braking and changing gears.
    03-12-09 09:26 AM
    HA! This is too funny!
    03-12-09 09:31 AM
    it also has been posted here at least twice.
    03-12-09 09:41 AM
    it also has been posted here at least twice.
    I found one in a search but it included no story behind it so of course most folks there think its fake. Go figure.

But good lookin out repost police.
    03-12-09 09:48 AM
    I found one in a search but it included no story behind it so of course most folks there think its fake. Go figure.

Dude, it was featured in the main page. There's even a youtube video attached to it.
    03-12-09 10:19 AM

it's what i do.... you're welcome.
    03-12-09 10:20 AM
    Dude, it was featured in the main page. There's even a youtube video attached to it.
    Don't visit the main page, sorry.

Search function doesn't turn up items on the main page.
    03-12-09 10:23 AM
    Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeepost!!!
    03-12-09 10:26 AM
    Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeepost!!!
    yes, that was established....

say "oi" to Wattie :}
    03-12-09 10:28 AM
    Tough crowd, sorry for the repost.

Mods please delete if you wish.
    03-12-09 10:31 AM
    i like the repost since i missed the first one. THANK YOU REPOST'R
    03-12-09 05:57 PM
    thanks for the repost, i also missed the other
    be sweet if this were available to everyone
    03-12-09 07:25 PM
    I miss that as well. Thanks OP for the repost that brought it to my attention.
    03-12-09 07:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD