I'm having trouble restoring apps from blackberry app world that I know I archived in the past.

I just did an update on my BB and, as usual, all my apps in appworld were gone. I've gone through this issue many times before, but I never knew how to properly archive files, so I just had to download everything all over again.

So this last time, I made sure to archive everything. However, even now I can't restore any of the apps I had on the phone from app world. If I connect my blackberry to my computer and look at the folders saved on the device, I can see everything is definitely saved in an archive folder, but when I try to restore them through DM it tells me that it can't read the files. So, I'm not sure what to do at this point?
    03-01-10 01:56 AM
    To back up third party apps you need to use bbsak. Then after you upgrade your phone/os, you load bbsak and restore the apps, then desktop manager to restore your contacts, sms, email etc

4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download BBSAKv1.7_Installer.msi

In the event they are on your phone, logging into your pay pal account should restore your paid app list to your device. There was also something about going into my world, in app world and typing restore I am not 100 percent but it was something like that..
    Last edited by dave3825us; 03-01-10 at 02:39 AM.
    03-01-10 02:30 AM
    will bbsak work on macs? or does it have to be on a pc?

I read somewhere also that typing restore in myworld would restore the apps but I have no idea where to type it because just going into the myworld screen and typing restore doesn't seem to do anything.
    03-01-10 02:41 AM
    I know it worked on the tour OS 4.7 but it has not worked for me on OS 5.0. As far as mac, I am not sure. I just did a quick Google for bbsak for mac but I am not seeing anything..

I am almost certain dm does not back up third party apps..
    03-01-10 02:47 AM
    yeah i couldn't find anything about it working on a mac or not

However, I think the problem fixed itself...sort of. But, looks like one more reason for me to stop using BB app world and just get everything from the CB store.

I just went ahead and re-downloaded one of my free apps from bb appworld. I choose to archive it. In the middle of archiving it, my phone gave me an "app error 523" w/ the reset option. So I reset the phone (not like i had a choice), and when it started back up, I went into my downloads folder and *ALL* of my apps from pre-update were in there w/ the little green arrow symbols (meaning they were on the phone all along but just needed to be restored now).

What a pain in the ****! I've been trying to figure out how, for 5 hours now, to get these apps back and by some stupid fluke, they all appeared again.

So in case anyone else comes across the same problem, feel free to pm me if you have any questions and I can walk you through specifically what I did. Maybe the same fluke will help you get your apps back. *sigh*
    03-01-10 02:56 AM
    I'm glad you got your apps back. Some times a batt pull can create wonders.
    03-01-10 02:59 AM
    funny enough, I didn't even do a battery pull this time. earlier today I've done battery pulls about 30 times, which did nothing, but this time it was an error message that I received and it did it's own reset (soft reset I think it's called?).
    03-01-10 03:06 AM
    If it ever happens again, and you know the files are archived to your SD card (check in \Media Card\BlackBerry\app_world\ or something similar), all you should need to do to make them all appear in App World again is go to My World, hold the Alt key and type RST. App World will shut down. The next time you start it, the My World section will be populated with whatever is archived on your phone. If you didn't do a 3rd party app backup before you installed your new OS, you still might have to reinstall them, but at least they'll show up in App World that way.
    03-01-10 03:49 AM
    Upgraded OS yesterday and couldn't find solution to restore BB App World 'My World' anywhere...it pays to surf 3rd party apps forum! Went to My World and Alt-RST worked like a charm, thank you!
    03-01-10 05:20 AM
    You're very welcome. I don't know why that is so poorly documented. I bet it was intended for App World to reset itself like that the first time you run it, which would solve the issue.

App World is so strange. The other day I wanted to remove something from it entirely. I uninstalled the app, and it still showed up as archived with the little green arrow. Normal. But then I deleted it from the app_world folder and rebooted. Still archived. So I went to delete the archived app icon, and it removed App World from my phone instead. I rebooted and both were gone. I reinstalled App World, and the archive app icon came back with it. Removed it once more in My World, and everything is now fine. Nice, reliable, user-friendly, consistent results RIM! Stupid, stupid software. Mobihand's CrackBerry App Store is SO much better. If they'd make a free app section and if they could carry RIM apps like FB and the chat clients, I'd quit using App World and never look back.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-01-10 11:48 AM
    Going into myworld on the app and typing "alt" RST didn't do anything for me actually. That was something I had read before posting this thread but it just didn't have any effect. So I'm wondering if I had done something wrong?

As a side-note, I'm glad this thread helped someone else also.
    03-01-10 10:47 PM
    all you should need to do to make them all appear in App World again is go to My World, hold the Alt key and type RST. App World will shut down. The next time you start it, the My World section will be populated with whatever is archived on your phone.

Just tried it on 5.0.0.419 and it is not working .
    03-01-10 11:32 PM
    Hmm, for those of you not seeing any results with the Alt+RST thing, do you have a folder on your SD card that contains the apps you had before? And you're holding Alt down and typing R,S,and T one at a time (not all three together), right? On mine, sometimes I have to continue to hold Alt for another second or so once I'm finished typing the letters. Otherwise I don't know why it's not working for you. Have you tried downloading App World from scratch at BlackBerry Home ?
    03-02-10 01:29 AM
    THANK YOU!! After updating the os on my 9700, app world didn't show any of my downloaded apps. Your alt R, S, T worked like a charm! I've only downloaded free apps from app world & I'm going to keep it that way after this.
    03-24-10 12:36 AM
    How would you do this on a Storm since there's no physical keyboard and you can't press 3 letters/keys at a time?

Thanks.
    04-27-10 12:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD