Hello,
    Im wondering if you can get iskoot or skype on the blackberry tour 9630? My boyfriend is in the navy and had Skype on his HTC touch. Thats the only way we can talk while over seas without the roaming charges. I need to know if there is anyway to get iskoot or skype on my tour and if so how...Iv tried downloading it but it wont allow me. Maybe im doing it wrong. Can anyone please help with giving me step by step instructions.

HELP!
    02-13-10 01:43 PM
    ISkoot works on my 9630. You should just be able to download it from their website. If I remember right, there was no version for the 9630, so I downloaded the 8900 version (because it has the same screen resolution).

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-14-10 09:00 AM
    and there isnt any official skype for bberry....yet...
    and from the looks of it u need it badly-
    best thing to do is- to have another phone that fully supports skype,windows,iphone,android-with fring or skype, or some nokias wich support even video calls directly on the phone(5800,n97,n96,n95,n82,x6)- i think the video call goes thru fring....
    02-14-10 08:47 PM
    well i went to a website and got iskoot downloaded on my phone. It says i have to sign in with skype but i do not have a skype account yet. Im scared to get an account and it not work. Since I have the app on my phone now..does that mean that my phone supports it?
    02-16-10 03:09 PM
    also...what kind of settings does my phone need to be on the get skype to work? Im new to this phone and have only had it 2 weeks. I need to know asap if anyone can help...
    02-16-10 03:24 PM
    well i went to a website and got iskoot downloaded on my phone. It says i have to sign in with skype but i do not have a skype account yet. Im scared to get an account and it not work. Since I have the app on my phone now..does that mean that my phone supports it?
    You have to have a Skype account for the software to link up. Skype accounts are free. Just to go Skype.com and create an account.

What will happen with iSkoot is you will get free Skype chat (text chatting). You can opt to add voice (SkypeIn/SkypeOut).

SkypeIn give you a phone number. People who call the number will be linked to your Skype account. If you have Skype on your desktop computer, people can call your computer by dialing the SkypeIn number. You can have SkypeIn set up to forward to your cell phone.

SkypeOut give you the ability to call phone numbers from your Skype account. You can get different subscriptions, such as unlimited national phone calls, or ones that use Skype Credit (per minute charges). When using iSkoot (or IM+ for Skype) the Skype network will call your BB fist (using your SkypeOut subscription), then either connect you to the other Skype user, or to the phone call. Several people use SkypeOut to call friends and family in other countries at much cheaper per-minute rates. Of course, if they have Skype running on their desktop computer, it would be a free skype-to-skype call.

What most people are looking for is VOIP, which means you won't have any phone calls from your BB to the Skype network. Currently, IM+ is the only software that allows this (over wifi, so it won't work on the 9630). It sounds like the Skype app that Verizon is going to release might use their 3G network to do VOIP as well. We'll have to see.
    02-16-10 03:49 PM
    what about skype for the storm?
    02-16-10 04:53 PM
    Ok so I can basically only use text chat on my BB tour. I can just do voice chat over the internet. He will be getting the HTC touch but my question is this. I know his phone will support skype...but what kind of number do i need to get for him. He travels to iraq and haiti. Would i just change his number when he gets shipped over there? Also...he will be roaming so will he get charged alot of roaming charges or does skype just use your data plan to connect..not really when talking. This sounds all jumbled up so im sorry.

1. Will he get charged roaming minutes while using voice chat..or just to connect(1 min)?
    2. Can he use just one number and change the number when he goes to other countries?
    02-17-10 09:58 AM
    If you are on your computer, you will have a username (let's say it's JohnSmith123). He will also have a username (like BobJones456). When calling Skype-to_skype, you call username-to-username. No phone numbers needed.

Phone numbers are only needed when connecting through/to Skype via phone call. If the HTC supports Skype via wifi, you will probably connec tto them via their username.

The Tour doesn't do wifi, so a phone call is required to connect the Tour to Skype's network. I don't think you need a Skype number to do that (I think it will call your mobile number to connect = it will user your SkypeOut subscription, or charge you skype credits for the call). But, if someone with a phone wanted to call you from their phone (not using Skype), they would call your SkypeIn number. If you wanted to call a phone through Skype, you would need a SkypeOut subscription of some sort.

You don't need a SkypeIn number if you aren't taking phone calls through Skype, and you don't need SkypeOut unless you are calling phones (via phone call). As long as you are communicating skype-to-skype via internet (PC, Mac, wifi), it's all free.
    02-17-10 10:13 AM
    I'm not sure if he can get wifi in iraq. I'm not even sure how wifi works. I know the curve puts off wifi. How will he know when he has wifi? So if I want to call him from my laptop, he would have to have the skype in feature and for him to call my laptop he would have to have skype out. and same thing if I want to do the same from my computer but I don't have to have a subscription because mine is free. But I can I'm chat with him on my phone for free right? I have a user name and everything and am logged in on it on my phone. So if I can't use skype in and skype out on my phone but can on my computer, will I need a number? And if he's usin his phone to skype in and out will he need to have a number?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-17-10 12:00 PM
    More than likely, with him in Iraq, he would have to use wifi. Using Skype via phone calls will be quite expensive while in Iraq. If he has a laptop or netbook, it might be easier to load up Skype onto that and talk computer to computer. That is what I did when my daughter was in Iraq last year.
    02-17-10 12:43 PM
    He cant get any kind of internet though that keeps him connected over there. And they said hes not allowed to have his own personal internet bc of ship safety. Plus his laptop fell off his bunch and the screen is cracked. So no laptop for him. They have a computer on the ship he can use but im not sure they will allow him to download skype because of him not being the only one using it. If he is allowed to do that, would we have to buy a subscription to be able to video chat or make voice calls from the computer?
    02-17-10 12:55 PM
    His phone has wifi but will the wifi work in Iraq is what I meant. Doesnt he have to be in a hotspot to get wifi? Also, I can use skype on my phone and it can connect to any network and I wont be roaming because i am in the US and have nationwide calling so im not the one who will get charged the roaming charge. Its him lol. But...if his phone can use wifi to connect him to skype, then hes golden. But im just not sure if he can use his wifi overseas. Im not that smart about that kind of stuff. Is he always conencted to wifi or does he have to be in a hotspot like a computer? Thats what i need to know. We're just trying to get him a phone so he can call home. We wont be talking to anyone but each other. I know I can use skype and not get charged but for my subscription with no roaming. He can to but only if he can use wifi right?
    Last edited by wchs2010; 02-17-10 at 01:04 PM.
    02-17-10 12:57 PM
    1- skype is a free program that works THRU INTERNET...
    2-to use it u need to create an account(usrN+pw)
    3-u have 2 kinds of calls-(skype to skype and skype to any number anywhere)
    4-skype to skype calls are FREE- audio+video call(THRU INTERNET) on a pc
    5-skype to anyNumber costs money but it's much much more cheaper than other ways of calling...
    ex-with skype credit u can call ur boyfr anywhere in the world on a number which he has(mobile or landline) for much more cheaper rates than all other calling optins-BUT, if u r both skype users, logged in with ur accounts, u can have FREE SKYPEtoSKYPE calls depending on ur hardware(pc,laptop,mobile phone...)
    6- skype is available for almost all kinds of mobile platforms(if u r not on a pc)
    7- dependeng on wich mobile platform u use it(winmo,android,iphone,blackbery..) u get diffrent benefits
    - on blackbery u get free chat with iskot(and option for calling wich costs money)
    -u can get free skype to skype voice calls with im+(program) wich costs i think 30$
    -on other platforms u can get even free video calls (some nokias)
    hope this will help....
    02-18-10 04:54 PM
    I don't know what internet access is like onboard navy ships. My daughter was stationed at Taji for a year and had limited wifi access in certain locations, so she could only go there when off duty.

If his BB has wifi, then the IM+ software should connect over wifi. He could also do IM through AIM, Google Talk, Yahoo.... I doubt there will be cell phone signal on board, so probably no BIS/data access to this BB. Wifi would be the main way to connect, and only if they have hot spots available, which they might in some areas on board (just not everywhere).

One way to set up communications would be to have something like Google Talk running on your BB. When he has access to wifi, he could send you an IM. If you're not sleeping, you could both then fire up IM+ and talk. If wifi access is limited, then maybe you could at least chat via IMs.

If you are both running devices with non-OS 5.0, you could use Palringo to communicate via wifi (I think it supports wifi - it just doesn't work with OS 5.0). Palringo has a push-to-talk option that lest you send voice messages back and forth with one click (push to record, push again to send - message are played automatically, kinda like Nextel's PTT with a little bit of a lag).

No matter what, a wifi hotspot of some sort would be needed.
    02-18-10 06:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD