I am running 4.6.199 on my Curve.

I updated my version of Facebook to the latest version. It required me to reboot. At the time, I did not have any unread messages (this becomes important as noted below).

All of a sudden, I have an unsynchronized mailbox that is not functioning correctly. It tells me I have an unread message even when I don't. And not only that, it takes forever for the mailbox to open (if it opens at all). When it opens, I do not see my email messages, only my SMS messages, even though I have it set to Combined mailbox.

I saw this type of problem once before and solved it fairly fast by switching to one of the default themes from TMO and doing a few battery pulls. But that is not working this time, and I am getting all these java null exceptions (probably caused by a third party theme, but it was throwing these exceptions for the TMO theme too).

I have been doing battery pulls and reboots to no avail. It is currentlly telling me I have all these unread messages and the box is not showing me my email at all, despite telling me I have unread email.

Should I delete my Service Books and resend, or should I delete the mailbox and recreate it?

I have spent several hours trying to fix this to no avail, so any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Elizabeth
    07-13-09 12:57 PM
    I now have 16 unread messages and I can't see any of them. Please, can someone help me or point me to a link that will help? All this happened because I updated Facebook and was using a third party theme at the time. Now I can't extract myself from this mess.
    07-13-09 01:07 PM
    This is the 3rd party theme issue, check the link in my signature.
    07-13-09 01:28 PM
    Hi, I have already tried everything in your thread, and I still have two unread messages.

This is after switching to a stock theme, rebooting, going past the logo screen with the power button, and a ton of null exception errors.

Before I got to the stage I am now, I went further than this and deleted my Gmail account and deleted the two service books associated with Gmail. I then recreated my Gmail account and now the two service books are back. I got an activation message that said email should start working again in twenty minutes or so, but in the meantime, I have these phantom messages hanging around.

OK, email service has been restored. Two new messages come in, but the email app is barely working. It goes very slow or freezes up and will not let me read or delete the legitimate new messages. So even if I wanted to mark them as read and then do a reboot, I cannot.

So I am stuck.

Elizabeth
    07-13-09 01:44 PM
    The message I see the most is

Uncaught exception: Application net_rim_bb_messaging_app(192) is not responding; process terminated.
    07-13-09 01:45 PM
    I would uninstall facebook and then install a previous version at this point.
    07-13-09 01:50 PM
    Facebook is deleted.

Curve was rebooted.

I still have the problem with the email app freezing up. For example, I can select an email and say, "Delete from handheld", but when I try to select "Delete from Handheld and Mailbox", the email app freezes.

I have found an old version of Facebook (not 1.6.0.21) but I have not installed it yet because my email app is still screwed up.

So short of reformatting the phone and starting from scratch, is there anything else I can try?

I have also noticed that the Reconcile function which used to be on the email menu is gone. Does that point to an IMAP problem, because what I have described above tells me it is not synching with the mailbox.

OK, I also went into Email Reconcilation under Options, and the app is frozen again.
    Last edited by eklisiewicz; 07-13-09 at 02:06 PM.
    07-13-09 02:03 PM
    Hi, I have already tried everything in your thread, and I still have two unread messages.

This is after switching to a stock theme, rebooting, going past the logo screen with the power button, and a ton of null exception errors.

Before I got to the stage I am now, I went further than this and deleted my Gmail account and deleted the two service books associated with Gmail. I then recreated my Gmail account and now the two service books are back. I got an activation message that said email should start working again in twenty minutes or so, but in the meantime, I have these phantom messages hanging around.

OK, email service has been restored. Two new messages come in, but the email app is barely working. It goes very slow or freezes up and will not let me read or delete the legitimate new messages. So even if I wanted to mark them as read and then do a reboot, I cannot.

So I am stuck.

Elizabeth
    Are you talking about the Mail app on your device through BIS or the Gmail app? If you are talking about the Gmail app then I would uninstall that from your device and then reinstall that as well.

Also when you say:

Something is not right here because the the stock themes do not get stuck on the logo screen. Are you sure that by "stock theme" you are talking about one of the default precision themes that came with your device?
    07-13-09 02:11 PM
    I am speaking of the Blackberry email app, not the Gmail app. the latter is working fine, but that is not how I want to get my email.

I am using the Precision T-Mobile theme.

Doesn't make any difference.

BB email app is hosed. I still cannot access Options > Email Reconciliation and I cannot read email (freezes on opening) and I cannot delete on both handheld and mailbox (freezes).
    07-13-09 02:22 PM
    Not sure what happened then. You may want to just backup and then restore your OS.
    07-13-09 02:29 PM
    That is what I figured I would have to do

Thanks.

On doing the Facebook update, I must have done something in the wrong sequence that caused this problem.

I will run it tonight and post back with my results if it's not too late.
    07-13-09 02:31 PM
    It keeps throwing errors:

When I try to backup, it says, "Error backing up database."

When I try to restore a previous backup, it says, "There was a communication error between the device and the Desktop Manager."

I don't know what else to do. Guess it's time to call TMO or visit one of their stores.
    07-13-09 05:48 PM
    07-13-09 06:03 PM
    I tried using Jl_Cmder to restore the phone to factory defaults. It failed too, saying it could not open a port.

And now my phone won't turn on at all.

What are my options now?
    07-13-09 06:03 PM
    THanks for the link on the database error. I think I am past that point now, as when I connected the phone back up, it started doing a wipe. So I am kind of committed to that path now. I have a fair amount of work to get apps back on my system and running. And of course, I am stuck going back to version .114 of the OS, which I shall quickly remedy if I can.
    07-13-09 06:11 PM
    Well, my phone is restored and most of my information and apps are intact. Unfortunately, my Contacts are a mess. Perhaps I can restore them from an earlier backup.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-13-09 07:41 PM
    I seem to be missing service books for gmail and I have searched around on how to get them sent to me.

When I go under options for my Messages inbox, the Reconciliation feature is missing.

I have spent at least 12 hours on this phone today and still my email is not working the way it used to.

So I guess if anyone has a handy list of links (searching is not always fruitful) that would help.
    07-13-09 08:03 PM
    After doing a wipe on my phone, I have restored email, but the synchronization between Gmail and the Messages inbox on the phone no longer works. It pushes the mail OK, but if I delete on the phone, the inbox on Gmail doesn't know about it.

I have IMAP enabled on my GMail settings.

However, the menu items and options in the Messages inbox have changed.

For example, when I want to delete a message, it only says Delete Item instead of giving me the option of Deleting from Handheld and Mailbox or Deleting from Handheld only. I no longer have that option.

There is no Reconcile menu item any longer.

Under Options, I only have General OPtions and Spell Check. The Reconciliation option that was there before I wiped the phone is gone.

I also checked my Email settings and I have the Delete option turned on that synchronizes between the mailbox and the phone, but that doesn't matter because it is not an option anymore.

Does anyone know how to get these options back?

The fellow at TMO was trying to convince me to reload the software again. I already did that, unless there is a way to isolate the email application in hopes of recovering the functionality I had before.
    07-13-09 08:41 PM
    So it looks like BIS is not completely functional even though the TMO rep had me go to the
    Host routing table to resend service books.

My messaging in box is read only and if I want to reply it tells me I have no messaging services. In
    My travels it said I am still missing critical service books.

I tried to find the link for BIS for TMO but I have been unsuccessful. Similarly, when I log into the mytmobile.com portal, there is nothing about service books.

I thought about trying to restore a backup from March in hopes of getting my functionality back.

Does anyone know the names of the service books and the link to the BIS site for TMO?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-14-09 04:52 AM
    Resending the service books cleared up the problem and email is operating again normally.

I have to say, TMO's updated web site is dreadful. It took me many attempts to find the Service Books link before I finally stumbled across it. Really, the web designers should be shot for poor design.
    07-14-09 09:18 AM
    You're da bestest. Good job figuring it out.

07-14-09 10:15 AM
    LOL. Thanks.
    07-14-09 10:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD