On the outer edge of apps.

On the outer edge of apps - News - The Buffalo News

an inspiring story and even I am planning to take sometime of my schedule to come up with something for PB/BB using webworks as I am well versed with html/css/javascript.
    01-18-11 08:26 PM
    Its a nice story which touches on the warm feely side of BB dev there. In reality BB dev is a nightmare. I could rant for hours on why, but its almost unbelievable.
    01-18-11 08:48 PM
    I've programed in many languages ...was considering giving it a try. Just need an idea to go on lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-18-11 08:49 PM
    You guys here about the 14 year old kid who developed an iPhone game? It's physics related and it beat Angry Birds to become the #1 free app (or was it game?).
    01-18-11 09:08 PM
    Don't do it. Seriously. Shao is right. You wouldn't believe us if we told you.
    I'm not kidding.
    at all.
    01-18-11 09:10 PM
    Its a nice story which touches on the warm feely side of BB dev there. In reality BB dev is a nightmare. I could rant for hours on why, but its almost unbelievable.
    But I think the success rate(at-least probability) of getting noticed on BB platform in more than iOS or Android. Moreover with BB WebWorks now emerged there shouldn't be anymore Java involved as they leveraging their underlying web-kit engine which is pretty much integrated into everything including email, messaging etc , in btwn I do my living by programing in Java (not J2ME though) but don't want to program using Java anything for a mobile OS anytime soon.
    01-18-11 09:27 PM
    How is developing for BB a nightmare? Would like to read more about it, if you can spare some time.
    01-18-11 10:36 PM
    How is developing for BB a nightmare? Would like to read more about it, if you can spare some time.
    Starting Feb 1st, RIM is doing some interesting webcasts for its new App development platform called WebWorks including setup, development of sample apps and deploying it to both Blackberry OS and its Tablet OS. WebWorks is pure HTML, Javascript and CSS, and if you have prior web development skills then developing Apps would be a breeze on their new Webworks platform.
    01-18-11 11:27 PM
    Have a look at this thread here: Signing Servers are slow and failing? - BlackBerry Support Community Forums

This is just from this week, but might give you a little insight into why BB dev is so bad.
    01-19-11 08:17 AM
    But I think the success rate(at-least probability) of getting noticed on BB platform in more than iOS or Android.
    While that may be true that there is more visibility due to fewer apps, that does not necessarily translate to sales. Lets put it this way, I have 2 apps in the top 50 currently on Mobihand, but I still have a day job
    01-19-11 08:21 AM
    While that may be true that there is more visibility due to fewer apps, that does not necessarily translate to sales. Lets put it this way, I have 2 apps in the top 50 currently on Mobihand, but I still have a day job
    Do they have ads in them? Also, marketing plays a part. Everyone with an Apple product uses iTunes. When someone finds a cool app, they tell people. TV shows, blogs, forums, newspapers "local boy develops top iPhone app" etc. ANd a lot of the top apps for iOS are from companies (dedicated devs), no matter how big or small they are.
    01-19-11 09:32 AM
    Do they have ads in them? Also, marketing plays a part. Everyone with an Apple product uses iTunes. When someone finds a cool app, they tell people. TV shows, blogs, forums, newspapers "local boy develops top iPhone app" etc. ANd a lot of the top apps for iOS are from companies (dedicated devs), no matter how big or small they are.

The apps I was referring to are pay apps. My point was even being a top 50 BB app doesn't bring in a lot of revenue. But I can guanantee you that the top 50 iPhone paid apps are making massive revenue for its devs.
    01-19-11 09:59 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD