CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    131 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Exclamation Improvements necessary for BBS Shortcuts!

Folks,

Good to have BBSmart in here. I've been a very happy AlarmsPro user. I finally decided to try a few more applications, and one of the first ideas that came to mind was to see what BBSmart had to offer. So, I have downloaded and installed both the Email Viewer and Shortcuts. Email viewer looks like solid gold, but I've got a few issues with Shortcuts. So, before I pony up my dough, let me toss a few thoughts out to the BBSmart folks:

So, what's the biggest, most important concept for any PDA/smartphone software application?

MAKE THE MOST OUT OF THE PRECIOUS SCREEN REAL ESTATE THAT'S AVAILABLE.

OK? So, here's this unchangeable list of four categories:

Email
    Messaging
    Phone
    Web

But, gosh, you know --- I don't use Messaging, and I will never use messaging, but I have to waste NOT ONE, BUT TWO WHOLE LINES in this display for it -- it's just absolutely, totally wasted screen real estate for me.

So, please, let us choose which "categories" we want displayed, or not. You could even go so far as to let us choose the order those categories show onscreen, too.

Heck, please let us choose whether we even want to have those categories SHOWN or not.

These simple changes would make this program about 100% more effective to me.

I would also point out that, at least on my Curve, things look just like they do on your example screens -- each "shortcut name" takes up somewhat less than one-third of the line it doesn't even begin to fill. Golly, you could split the shortcut lines into three columns, and we could squeeze a whole bunch of shortcuts onto that screen. Now, that would be cool! And productive!

OK, so that's the really, really easy stuff. After those improvements, then you could make it do what I'll bet every single user who first tries the program does -- something like this:

Cool, time to add a new shortcut. Let's add an "Email" shortcut. Really easy so far. So, I get into the "Name:" field in the "New Email Shortcut" box, and I figure I can just push the trackball, and it'll bring up my Address Book so I can choose a name. And the same would go for the e-mail address field.

Golly gosh, I guess not. Gotta go dig out that e-mail address, and type the thing in.

I presume you get the picture. The program really should be able to go "find" this information, if we would like to go browse through our Address Books and such.

Otherwise, the concept and the execution of the program is great, so far. But the above would be my list of improvements, in order of importance. Oh, how I hate to waste perfectly good screen real estate -- let's make the most of it!

Thanks for listening!
    Developer - BBSmart

Hi thoots,

Thanks for all your feedback. We've pretty much addressed all the issues you raised with v1.5 of BBSmart Shortcuts which is currently in private beta testing.

One of the items I don't understand however is your final point you bring up regarding auto-finding contacts from your address book. BBSmart Shortcuts does do that right now - as soon as you begin typing a name a list will appear that allows you to pick that person and their details. This functionality is demonstrated in screenshots both in the official thread here on CrackBerry and on our website. If that's not working for you, something's gone wrong
    Want to set multiple alarms on your BlackBerry? Check out the award-winning BBSmart Alarms Pro

View HTML email today with the best email viewing application here in the CrackBerry store: BBSmart Email Viewer
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    131 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

eZainny,

Ahh, very good! Glad to hear that you're moving forward with the screen real estate stuff and so on. I'll look forward to v1.5!

As for the "typing a name" business, I never caught that -- I just figured that I could push the trackball, and it would pop up names that way. Indeed, typing something in does work quite slickly -- and I missed it, entirely.

Though, I have had a problem with that, already --- some names just don't seem to show up in the lists that pop up. The main one I'm trying to add is my boss, and it's just "no dice" -- no matter what, he won't show up in the lists that pop up. Though, that may have to do with how I've got him entered, and the others "in the same boat" might have the same problem:

I've got a few folks from my office all entered into my address book with the company initials first, like this:

CRS Jane Doe
    CRS John Doe
    CRS Roger Smith
    CRS Tim Taylor

And, the only one of those that'll actually show up, I think, is the first one -- the others won't show up on the lists at all. And that's only when I enter a "c" that I see the first one -- I won't get the others when I do that, and I don't get the others when I try to enter, say, a "J" or an "R" or a "T."

So, I suppose that's a wrong-minded way of entering folks into the address book in the first place, but that's what's happening....

I'll play with things a bit further, and report back. Otherwise, indeed, this is pretty slick -- thanks for pointing it out to me!

And, of course, thanks to you and your company for being in here -- it's definitely part of why I like to use your applications!

Quote Originally Posted by eZainny View Post
    Hi thoots,

Thanks for all your feedback. We've pretty much addressed all the issues you raised with v1.5 of BBSmart Shortcuts which is currently in private beta testing.

One of the items I don't understand however is your final point you bring up regarding auto-finding contacts from your address book. BBSmart Shortcuts does do that right now - as soon as you begin typing a name a list will appear that allows you to pick that person and their details.....