at&t and apple just announced today user are able to make cheap voip call off the 3g network using the free icall app. Beside icall, there is also fringe and skype will be coming too.

When will a true voip app come to a bb? Y does iphone always get the cool apps first?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-28-10 08:48 PM
    Skype has been around for awhile for the iPhone and iPod Touch.

I'm not sure why they are getting all of the cool apps first......guess it all depends on how you look at it. These apps wouldn't be beneficial to me at all.
    01-28-10 08:58 PM
    Skype has been around for awhile for the iPhone and iPod Touch.

I'm not sure why they are getting all of the cool apps first......guess it all depends on how you look at it. These apps wouldn't be beneficial to me at all.
    Skype = use wifi
    Icall = use 3g & wifi

And where is skype for the bb? Y is it taking so long for skype to come to bb? I will be happy with skype on my bb.

Last edited by vincentnyc; 01-28-10 at 09:03 PM.
    01-28-10 09:01 PM
    I'm sure it doesn't hurt that Apple only has 1 OS where as BB have a different build for every phone
    01-28-10 09:09 PM
    I'm sure it doesn't hurt that Apple only has 1 OS where as BB have a different build for every phone
    Deleted your twitter account? Link doesn't work. As that that, perhaps so, but even Android is getting more apps and faster than Blackberry, and there are a lot more BB's in the wild. So what's the real deal? is it easier to develop for Android and iPhones?

I shouldn't have to scrounge around for an IRC app that will work on the Tour. (sigh) or even deal with the IRC apps that are completely outdated.

And I do NOT want a phone that I can't replace the battery on, or be forced to use a virtual keyboard.

I almost picked up a Droid, sometimes I wish I had, just for the added use it would get. (sigh).
    01-28-10 09:47 PM
    true, some of the apps are pretty useful, but the vast majority of the apps for the iphone are lame
    01-28-10 10:10 PM
    Because on iphone, they're actually making money

01-28-10 10:14 PM
    The iPhone does have different OS's..they call them versions though. It's up to the iPhone user to update to a newer version or not.

Not that it really matters here though...we are all devoted BB users here!
    01-28-10 10:26 PM
    I am watching my Phoenix Suns against Dallas right now and we are winning. I say my Phoenix Suns because I am a diehard fan and have been for a nymber of yrs. Rumors are flying we may lose Amare and I hope we don't. And if I am not home I can get the score on my BB Tour. I love Blackberry I eat apples don't want an apple for a phone. I work with 3 people who have the iphone and they love them but hate their coverage. They tease me about not having great apps. I am not into all the apps I want a dependable device for email, some browsing, communicating and docs to go calendar. I get all I need on my BB and I am happy.
    01-29-10 12:18 AM
    Yes bb is great for email and messaging. We get that. But I want some of the cool apps that apples have too. Y can't we have the cake and eat it too?

01-29-10 01:00 AM
    The IPhone may get the apps first, but our blackberrys get the emails first....
    01-29-10 02:54 AM
    Coding apps for BBs is significantly harder and more complex. More OS's and differences, with a less open API. Personally, it doesn't bother me, most of the Apple apps are games and gimmicks. I don't need gimmicks, and I've got an HDTV and a PS3 for games. (Besides, when I'm out and about, I'm usually far too busy to be playing games.) Android is tempting, but how open their OS is somewhat worries me, opening the door for all sorts of apps is still opening the door, and when the door is open, you're bound to let somebody/something in eventually that you'd wish you didn't. In short, I'm happy with my BB. Then again, I don't use Skype or any services like that, and I do agree, those types of apps should be more availible on BB, I think they're just harder to code, and that's why you don't see them.

01-29-10 06:39 AM
    All the cool apps.... hmmm...

Google Voice is a cool app... wait, you can't get it on an iPhone.

DriveSafe.ly is an awesome app for reading e-mails and texts while driving... wait, you can't get that on a iPhone either... (unless jailbroken, and not through iTunes).

IM+ for Skype has already been working on a Skype interface using wifi. It's been in beta for a couple of months, but it is on the way.
    01-29-10 07:48 AM
    I look at it like this the Iphone is cool and all but the apps they have are lame and ppl aren't about all those apps half you pay an arm and a leg and they don't do what they are supposed to do. I will admit it though Rim is behind on apps but besides that BB kills the Iphone. Your limited to what you can do on an Iphone that's not jailbroken. Well hey voiding your warranty isn't bad I guess hahaha.

01-29-10 08:41 AM
    at&t and apple just announced today user are able to make cheap voip call off the 3g network using the free icall app. Beside icall, there is also fringe and skype will be coming too.

When will a true voip app come to a bb? Y does iphone always get the cool apps first?

I'm not sure how long you have been with T-Mobile but if you can still get the Talk Forever Mobile feature for $9.99 then you can make and receive ALL the calls you want via WiFi and not use any of your minutes. I've had this feature for over 2 years now and average 800-1000 minutes a month of WiFi calls.

I see that the iCall app is free but are they charging a fee to use it? The nice thing I see with iCall is that you calls can be made on 3G as well as WiFi. Is it two way? Can you also receive VOIP calls?
    01-29-10 08:54 AM
    I'm not sure how long you have been with T-Mobile but if you can still get the Talk Forever Mobile feature for $9.99 then you can make and receive ALL the calls you want via WiFi and not use any of your minutes. I've had this feature for over 2 years now and average 800-1000 minutes a month of WiFi calls.

I see that the iCall app is free but are they charging a fee to use it? The nice thing I see with iCall is that you calls can be made on 3G as well as WiFi. Is it two way? Can you also receive VOIP calls?
    Does ur talk forever mobile plan includes international call? The main purpose of voip call is making cheap international call. Here is an article on the icall apps and how u pay for it:

gadgetwise.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/01/28/att-apple-allow-cheap-calls-on-3g-data-network/

Ps - Yes I know there a lot of lame apps out there for apple. Bb are just as guilty as well. What I want is the cool app like the icall to also come to the bb. Iskoot has been on development like forever and it is a paid app. Where the **** is skype for bb? Skype is availble for winmo, apple os, android, palm os. Where is a version for bb?

01-29-10 09:29 AM
    i'm sick of people comparing the apple iphone to a Blackberry, if you want the apps, buy an iphone... simple.

01-29-10 09:33 AM
    i'm sick of people comparing the apple iphone to a Blackberry, if you want the apps, buy an iphone... simple.

I'm sick of ppl like u who don't want innovation. Tell me, 5 yrs ago. Did a bb have a camera, a mp3 player, a video player etc. It is ppl like me who pushes rim to innovate. If they don't they will died!

01-29-10 09:57 AM
    Does ur talk forever mobile plan includes international call? The main purpose of voip call is making cheap international call. Here is an article on the icall apps and how u pay for it:

gadgetwise.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/01/28/att-apple-allow-cheap-calls-on-3g-data-network/

Ps - Yes I know there a lot of lame apps out there for apple. Bb are just as guilty as well. What I want is the cool app like the icall to also come to the bb. Iskoot has been on development like forever and it is a paid app. Where the **** is skype for bb? Skype is availble for winmo, apple os, android, palm os. Where is a version for bb?

T-Mobile Talk Forever is only for US domestic calls. Since I don't call outside the US it's perfect for me.

I see in the article you referred to.... AT&T and Apple Allow Cheap VoIP Calls on 3G - Gadgetwise Blog - NYTimes.com

• The first VoIP product up and running on the iPhone is iCall, a free app that gives you three ways to pay for calls. You can sign up for free calls to the United States and Canada that require you to listen to an ad before your call is made. Calls are limited to five minutes.
    • The second is a pay-per-call plan, which lets you make calls overseas at a per-minute price that is a deep discount from carrier prices. You have to deposit money ahead of time for this service: as little as $5 and up to $50. These minutes never expire.
    • The third choice is a $10-a-month plan that allows unlimited calls in the United States and Canada without having to hear ads. There is an additional fee for overseas calls, but at a lower per-minute price than with the pay-per-call plan

I guess like anything else you have to see what is best for you.

To answer your original question as to why iPhone gets or has the "cool" apps. Keep in mind that the BlackBerry was originally designed and marketed to the business customer (BES). It has evolved to a mainstream product for everyday use by all types of customers. It is my feeling though that RIM still has the business (BES) mindset.

For example: BES customers have the ability to sync email, calendar and contacts OTA whereas BIS customers cannot. iPhone customers can do it OTA with MobileMe. Wouldn't it be nice if RIM had a program like that for BIS customers? I am quite sure there are millions of BIS customers who would love this. I'm not saying it has to be free. I for one would be willing to pay a reasonable fee.

When they get away from that I would expect things to be different.

All this is just MHO.
    01-29-10 11:06 AM
    In one of the recent CrackBerry blogs, the following chart was posted:

I am NOT an iPhone basher and I am sure it is a great phone that does many wonderful things. I understand something like Skype would be a nice app to have. My oldest daughter lives in Ukraine and I use the computer version of Skype to talk to her now and I would use Skype if it were available for BlackBerry. But for what I need from my phone on a daily basis, my BlackBerry Storm 1 trounces the iPhone and I'm looking forward to being able to upgrade to the Storm 2 next month. I am sure I would feel different if I were into playing video games, but that is not what I need from my phone.
    01-29-10 11:26 AM
    When I bought my Bold 9700, I honestly had no idea that App World even existed, or that several of the apps I had heard about on iPhone were also available on my Blackberry. This was a nice surprise. However, knowing that the structure is in place, I do wonder if we'll see much of an evolution for BB apps far beyond what it already is.

The biggest problems are probably the nature of the audience and the delivery system. People who buy iPhones have seen the commericals and were jealous of their friends' phones (and all their apps) before they even bought one. People who buy Blackberrys are looking for a smart phone to do emails and messaging, and perhaps some web content. So you can throw something up on the iStore for $4.99, and millions of people where know where to look for it and be interested in spending it. Buying apps on a Blackberry often requires you to go looking for it, and you also need a PayPal account to make the purchase.

I think that overall, buying apps on Blackberry is fairly easy and satisfying. But if you're not proactively looking out for apps and a little bit more technically saavy than your average iPhone user, there are some hurdles impeding that progress.
    01-29-10 11:26 AM
    I am NOT an iPhone basher and I am sure it is a great phone that does many wonderful things. I understand something like Skype would be a nice app to have. My oldest daughter lives in Ukraine and I use the computer version of Skype to talk to her now and I would use Skype if it were available for BlackBerry. But for what I need from my phone on a daily basis, my BlackBerry Storm 1 trounces the iPhone and I'm looking forward to being able to upgrade to the Storm 2 next month. I am sure I would feel different if I were into playing video games, but that is not what I need from my phone.
    I love that pyramid above and couldn't agree more with your priorities. But there was once a time when having a camera on a cell phone was considered a gimmick for teenagers and something without real value. Now, even though Blackberry represents itself as a professional device, you see higher quality cameras standard on new BB's, and they're becoming better and better. And since they worked on making them better, it's actually getting to the point where I value my 3.2 megapixel BB camera more than my stand-alone digital camera b/c (a) it's always with me; and (b) it allows me to immediately store/send/post pictures via internet.

My point is that a lot of people treat apps like phone cameras were treated 5 years ago. But if you make a good app, it can really replace your need to have the full internet on a handheld. So the lines between the categories on that pyramid may become blurred over time, as apps become better and more practical.
    01-29-10 11:32 AM
    Based on something that RIM once told me, it might not be possible to get a proper phonecall-like performance implementing VOIP with a 3rd-party app on a BB. It could work, but there might be delays and you couldn't hear anything while talking.
    01-29-10 11:54 AM

Not sure what "cool apps" your referring to but there's no apple only app that I want or need. 140,000 apps and only like 0.01% are any good. Apples always about quantity over quality, form over function, design over functionality.

01-29-10 11:55 AM
    Another choice for inexpensive calls would be Google Voice. You can link the Google Voice # to your mobile, home and work numbers all at the same time. They have per minute prices ranging from $0 (US & Canada) to $2.00 (Antarctica).

International calling rates : International calls - Google Voice Help
    01-29-10 12:01 PM
59 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD