Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,968 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default If you are unsure or skeptical about using PayPal for AppWorld:

Just browsing the forums since the speak of app world using paypal, people have gotten a bit nervous about this.

I for one have not a problem with paypal, I just think RIM should have set this up through a different method, but thats a different stone.

If you're worried about your credit information being used over paypal
    simply:

Go to your local grocery store
    Pick up a prepaid Visa/Mastercard Credit/Debit card
    Load your selected amount onto the card. 5$ 10$ 20$ etc etc
    Create your paypal account with the "prepaid" debit/credit card.

If your card was ever lost/stolen/ etc. It wouldn't burden your financial life and economic status.

I'm sure there may be other ways, but this one is pretty much fool proof.
    And if something were to ever happen to your prepaid card, there is still fraud prevention on most. So, do a little research and a bit of homework and you'll be able to use appworld with the piece of mind that you'd like.

I haven't used this method personally But Let me google that for you
    Seems paypal may as well have prepaid methods.
    Last edited by BrianW2007; 04-01-2009 at 12:37 PM.
    iPhone 3GS on AT&T, Nexus One on T-Mobile
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    305D3C0D

paypal had never had a problem with int he case of losing someones payment/ and or your information stolen, reimbursing the person for the amount.
    CrackBerry Abuser

i used it last night to pay for Wheel of Fortune for my Storm.
    No problems, works just like it does on eBay.
    Seidio Innocase I w/ Holster
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,968 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Swift, This may be the case for you but if you look around, you'll see many hesitant to use paypal. Just trying to come up with a solutoin
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    305F48E9

a solution would be for our carriers to do what every other carrier does and offer direct billing to our cell bills, i for one miss the day when i could just get on my voyager and download a game or something and it just comes in my next verizon bill. all this 3rd party billing is getting rediculous, verizon and others need to get their stuff together
    R.I.P. the Turbonator Cobra is gone totaled by insurance company, in with the new though!

Army RANGERS "MESS with the BEST, DIE like the REST"
    1999-2007 "HOOOAAAHHH!"
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,968 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

GTP- This is rim's application, not the carriers. If this were the case, it would probably be much more complex.
    If it were to bill your account, chances are applications would cost more.
    You would pay verizon for downloading the application, then verizon would Pay RIM for it being their app store..

Confusing, I know.. i confused myself.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    305F48E9

i understand its RIM's app store, but still, you would thik that even your carrier would have some kind of support for your device's. I dont know i guess in the age of technology things will change and so on, oh well hooray for app world which i am sure alot will use and alot will not be able to use.
    R.I.P. the Turbonator Cobra is gone totaled by insurance company, in with the new though!

1999-2007 "HOOOAAAHHH!"
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by gtpx02 View Post
    a solution would be for our carriers to do what every other carrier does and offer direct billing to our cell bills, i for one miss the day when i could just get on my voyager and download a game or something and it just comes in my next verizon bill. all this 3rd party billing is getting rediculous, verizon and others need to get their stuff together
    This would make it a little bit easier to do business on App World, however don't you think that Verizon would want some kind of monetary kick back from RIM?
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    the tail on the donkey.

PayPal is pretty much just as safe as any credit card.
    CrackBerry Abuser

I think RIM is going to start selling prepaid App cards in stores like futureshop, bestbuy, maybe even 7/11. It worked well for Apple.

I am a bit hesitant to use paypal myself. I had some a bad experience with them a few years ago. I'm sure they have improved, but I would still prefer buying prepaid cards at the store or using your method from your opening post.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    350 Global Posts

I honestly don't want more carrier charges. I think this being out of the control of cell companies allows for more flexibility with the apps. Like Apple stripping out apps because ATT&T don't want competition. Keep the app store neutral.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    305F48E9

yeah ok i agree with you citi, maybe it is a good thing that its out of the carriers hands, i didnt think of it that way.

My reserve is that i used to use ebay and paypal alot in the past and i have gotten burned a few times, now whether its a paypal issue or the seller/buyer issue i experienced with ebay i dont know, but i havnt used paypal again since i have not received a few things that i purchased through them on ebay and have seen no solution to the problem.

1999-2007 "HOOOAAAHHH!"
    CrackBerry User

Wheel Of Fortune Question!! I bought it and it runs SOOOOOOOOO slow on my Flip 8220 I had to delete it. Anybody have the same issue or can you help me with mine? Thanks!
    .... And the iPhoners said the Blackbery was dead.... HA!!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    548 Global Posts

You shouldn't support the use of paypal, they are a bunch of scam artist
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    t of Ale please!

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Storm View Post
    This would make it a little bit easier to do business on App World, however don't you think that Verizon would want some kind of monetary kick back from RIM?
    I don't want VZW having any control over these apps. They already intentionally limit wi-fi, and GPS, I could see them limiting any apps that they feel they could potentially profit from in some other way. Besides, I pay those Bast ards enough each month. Heck, I could see VZW charging $2.99 a month just for ACCESS to the app store!!!! Nah, much better to keep it out of the carriers hands.
    I am better than He-Man and Skeletor wrapped up in one...I guess that makes me the true Master of the Universe!

"You do what you are... you're born with a gift. If not that, then you get good at something along the way. And what you're good at, you don't take for granted." --- Morgan Freeman
    CrackBerry User

i have never had a problem with paypal but for protection i opened a 2nd checking account that i keep $25 in. My bank lets me have that account for free and I use it for paypal transactions. If it's more than that I simply transfer the money before paying.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    9,543 Global Posts
    PIN
    T of Beer Please

I will only buy on the web using PayPal. I never give out my credit card, correct address or any other personal information if I can avoid it. I will only buy from web merchants if the use PayPal correctly. By this I mean that all a merchant needs is to give me his email addres to pay to. PayPay know my details and tose of the merchant. I pay the merchant via PayPal and they tell the merchant my shipping address and make the payment.

I have NEVER had a problem making or receiving a payment via PayPal. I have used the system for over 3 years.

For me they are the best and only way to make web based payments and to avoid disclosing my personal details to any number of wierdo databases that vendors tell me are secure - yeah, right.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    517 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by paulanthonyc View Post
    I don't want VZW having any control over these apps. They already intentionally limit wi-fi, and GPS, I could see them limiting any apps that they feel they could potentially profit from in some other way. Besides, I pay those Bast ards enough each month. Heck, I could see VZW charging $2.99 a month just for ACCESS to the app store!!!! Nah, much better to keep it out of the carriers hands.
    Since RIM has never made a CDMA phone with WIFI, how is that Verizon limiting it.
    GPS is now available to 3rd party apps.

Oops should have mentioned I won't do business with Paypal. I did have my credit card info stolen about 8 years ago and it was a card that was only used once and you guessed it with Paypal.
    Last edited by Sniperet; 04-01-2009 at 02:12 PM.