I've heard of carriers like t-mobile doing this to people. and verizon doesn't seem like the nicest people around and are likely to try and scam it's customers.

but If I use gtalk or ramble or some other IM service on my bb pearl will they charge me for the messages? like will it go sms instead of data?

this is my first BB and I've been on vzw for a while.

I was just looking over the forums and thought this may be something to ask.

thanks

bubs
    03-24-08 01:30 PM
    i downloaded and started to use google talk in feb, and use it all day everyday since. i reviewed my bill just recently and there is no change at all, infact i droped txt messages all together because i went from using 500 a month to 0. so as for now there is no added charge for google talk as long as you have a data plan.
    03-24-08 03:16 PM
    I don't know why they would charge you as SMS since most 3rd party apps use data. The only thing that uses SMS is the Verizon aim thing.
    03-24-08 03:18 PM
    ok thanks. I was just cautious this being my first smartphone ever. I don't want to start using gtalk and then get a huge bill at the end of the month because it wasn't included in the vzw data plan.
    03-24-08 03:23 PM
    I just got my first BB last week they told me that I wood only get charged if I used the email @vzw.blackberry.net I have unlimited data & voice and 250 Tex

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-24-08 04:56 PM
    thats weird?
    03-24-08 05:00 PM
    Can someone explain how to get google talk on the phone? I want to try it, but I do not see a mobile version.
    03-28-08 09:04 AM
    On yor BB browser, go to mobile.blackberry.com - Scroll down to "Social Utilities" - click on Google Talk.
    03-28-08 09:13 AM
    I just got my first BB last week they told me that I wood only get charged if I used the email @vzw.blackberry.net I have unlimited data & voice and 250 Tex

Yeah, that's wrong. You must have spoken to a complete 1d1ot.
    03-28-08 09:49 AM

Why would they charge you for using the verizon blackberry email? That's part of the data package.
    03-28-08 09:50 AM
    I found the google talk app. Thanks Chaz! Does any know how to set it to make a tone or vibrate when a message comes arrives?
    04-07-08 09:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD