Here's an idea for an app for the 9850/9860 phones, for developers in the forum.

I dunno about other 9850/9860 owners, but I find that I often use the "Back" button with almost anything I do with the phone. I find it a bit of an inconvenience especially since the button is down there and my fingers are on the screen. Also, I figure it's the button that's most likely to be the first one to encounter wear-and-tear.
    I was looking around for an app that places a back button on the screen, possibly a floating one, or one that's embedded in each app. I couldn't find one.
    I realized this as I was playing around with my fiancee's iphone. In almost every app, there's that button like the one on the attached image that allows you to either cancel or go back to the previous screen.
    Would be great to have that feature/app on the 9860/9850.

If I am wrong, and there is an app for this, kindly let me know too. Thanks!
    01-15-12 11:27 AM
    For the browser app, you just hold or press the screen for a few seconds and a menu will pop up, with back being one of the options.

Good idea for other apps though, as other users have complained of the back button getting worn easily and quickly.
    glassofpinot and apg300 like this.
    01-15-12 07:12 PM
    like.....would love to see this app as well
    apg300 likes this.
    01-15-12 08:32 PM
    For the browser app, you just hold or press the screen for a few seconds and a menu will pop up, with back being one of the options.

Good idea for other apps though, as other users have complained of the back button getting worn easily and quickly.
    Thanks for sharing. I didn't notice that until you pointed it out.

For other 9850/9860 owners who would also like something like this, please do comment on this thread so that our developer friends here would have a better gauge if there really is a market for this type of app.

Thanks!
    01-15-12 11:05 PM
    I was thinking about this, but for another reason. My menu and back buttons often don't work so I was thinking that it'd be nice to have a virtal button app that overlays on top of your current up like QuickLaunch, and emulates the physical button presses. For quick access, I'd have this app set to my convenience key.

I would definitely buy an app like this if someone were to make it.
    apg300 likes this.
    01-15-12 11:48 PM
    Thanks for sharing. I didn't notice that until you pointed it out.

For other 9850/9860 owners who would also like something like this, please do comment on this thread so that our developer friends here would have a better gauge if there really is a market for this type of app.

Thanks!
    Your most welcome! This is exactly the intention of the forum.
    01-16-12 08:43 AM
    I personally don't see the need for an on-screen back button, especially since in most cases you can get a back button via the pop-up from long pressing the screen.
    01-16-12 09:52 AM
    I personally don't see the need for an on-screen back button, especially since in most cases you can get a back button via the pop-up from long pressing the screen.
    Thanks for sharing. Aside from the internet browser, in what other built in app/s does it appear? So far, my only workaround has been to do a long-press and select Full Menu and then Switch Application or Close.
    01-16-12 10:01 AM
    Would love to see this as well. A back and a blackberry button.
    apg300 likes this.
    01-16-12 11:57 AM
    Although I think this is a good idea, it is not something that could be done through a 3rd party app universally. Each app would need to add this functionality themselves or RIM would need to incorporate soft keys at the OS level.
    apg300 likes this.
    01-16-12 12:31 PM
    You can't just magically place a button on top of any app. It doesn't work on the BBOS because RIM does not expose any API to do this.
    01-16-12 01:07 PM
    Although I think this is a good idea, it is not something that could be done through a 3rd party app universally. Each app would need to add this functionality themselves or RIM would need to incorporate soft keys at the OS level.
    and

You can't just magically place a button on top of any app. It doesn't work on the BBOS because RIM does not expose any API to do this.
    I guess the embedded button on each app was kind of a long-shot. But at the very least I was hoping (or wishing) for something like a floating button which could emulate the function of the "back" key.
    Thanks for taking time to share your thoughts/expertise!
    01-16-12 01:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD