hello all...

i am trying to learn how to unlock phones. can anyone direct me to any programs or websites where i can read and learn how to unlock phones. i dont know if i need to specify which types of phones, i just want a general overview and then once im comfortable, maybe get specific.

thanks
    06-13-07 10:16 AM
    doing this is somewhat illegal, so any websites or programs cant be posted here, just google search the topic to get you started.
    06-13-07 02:15 PM
    ...here, here, schizo, well said!
    06-13-07 02:17 PM
    Why would you think unlocking phones is illegal? Or did I read that wrong? Just do a Google search for unlocking BlackBerry and you will find several sites that sell unlocking products.
    06-14-07 04:05 PM
    Could somebody provide a REALLY good overview here in the CrackBerry forums on unlocking phones... exactly:

- what the basic concept is (not how to do it, but what its all about)
    - how the people who sell unlock codes actually get them
    - the ethics/legalities involved - why it's bad and/or good
    - etc. etc. etc

I have an unlocked phone...never really thought of it as an illegal thing...well...I just never really thought about it period. Ignorance is bliss I guess. I just wanted to be the first to have a Curve in my city. But truth be told...I really don't even know what it's all about - other than after I punched in my unlock code on my AT&T Curve my Rogers sim worked perfectly!

So what's the scoop? I want to know both sides of the story. Educate me!
    06-14-07 04:41 PM
    Tagging along for sure
    06-14-07 05:54 PM
    if anyone can write up an educational, that would be fantesticle!!! I also got an unlocked phone that i was able to pop in my t-monkey sim and wham bam thank you mam, i was on my way.... i was just curious as to how it was done and now that someone mentioned the "illegalities" of it, im even more curious...hehehehe..

So again, if anyone can please post an educational piece on the basics and go abouts of phone unlocking...

that would be much appreciated!!

maybe one day, i can unlock my own phone instead of having to go in circles trying to get someone to unlock it for me!
    06-17-07 09:18 AM
    Unlocking phones in not illegal in anyway. The operator networks purely do this to make it harder for you to use another service provider.

There are however right and wrong ways and that is what you have to be careful.

I have the ability to unlock all BB upto the 8700 Series. Companies make a fortune from this service because people cant be bothered to go and do it themselves.

Its actually not very complicated, but as others have said you will need to do your research.

Basically remember these basic rules:

OK = Unlock Code via IMEI, SIM or Network Generated is okay.

Not OK = Clipping crocodile clips to the "motherboard"of your phone or unscrewing the screw to bare the inside is not OK!
    06-17-07 03:38 PM
    i called it "illegal" since(and notice i said somewhat:
    if the phone is branded (att) theoretically its only suppose to be used on their network. something branded for one thing "should not be used" on another, something like buying a dell computer and changing the factory installed OS(lest say vista) to your trusty (xp or linux), you call dell support and the first thing they would say is, thats not the OS we shipped.

as said somewhat illegal,
    its kind of redundant since if you take your att branded phone to tmobile, they would just unlock it for you in order to keep you with them.
    the program to unlock up to 8700 series is available everywhere on p2p networks.

imo, its somewhat illegal on every aspect (through IMEI or hardware based)
    like a locked door,
    you can find tons of info on how to pick the lock
    but is it ok for you do do it and access whats behind the door?

fyi all my phones have been unlocked, since i buy them off ebay (if not i would have to wait up to 3-4 months to get the newer "cooler" phones)
    if one wants to learn, reaserch, th einternet is full of info about anything
    06-17-07 09:07 PM
    now schizo

that was a well thought out and reasonable response to a very controversial topic. However, i beg to differ. The unlocking of phones cannot be illegal since there are thousands of websites that unlock phones for cost. Secondly, phone companies offer unlocking codes of phones for members that were "loyal" for a minimum of 90 days. The concept of locking phones was designed to keep a subscriber of a particular phone service from using the phone with another carrier. Mind you the price you pay for a phone is remarkable inflated to begin with, but they sell it for a special price if you stay for minimum 1 -2 years. Unlocking your personal phone that you paid for should not be considered ILLEGAL since you OWN it. IF you were to "borrow or RENT" a phone from a company and decide to unlock it, then yes, i would agree that to be illegal. Since i bought my car, i modified the exhaust as well as the sound system and even the air intake..... that is NOT illegal... If i were to do that to a HERTZ or AVIS vehicle, well then i better have a better excuse...

Now, since i made my point, i have searched the internet as well as random forums to obtain information that i can read myself so as i may learn to unlock as a hobby. I am not asking anyone to unlock any phones for me for free, that would be another story. I am simply asking for someone that knows where i may find the tools so that i may teach myself how to do something. I am not free loading nor am i asking anyone to do anything they do not want to do. Someone that is unlocking was taught either by themselves or from someone else and all i am asking is for the opportunity to LEARN.

Now, schizo, if you have anything productive you can add, such as a website or link that may offer me the tools i need to learn, i will be honored to click... if you are going to give your opinion, i am willing to listen, but if you are going to make remarks like "search the internet" and leave it at that..... i'll leave you with a sopranos finale.......

06-18-07 01:27 PM
    i did not mean to offend you in any way, and it seems i did, for that im sorry, in the short time i've been here there have been some post regarding this, on the main one i started interacting "the one sticked onthe curve section" i asked/stated if links could be posted, the reply was no, i chose to ask if it could be done, instead of posting since

1. it took me a lot of time to find the "correct" blackberry software (all through google search)
    2. if in any case there is a legal issue behind it me posting could make this site/forum get in trouble

on your car analogy, yes its true, however modifying your car voids its warranty (on some dealerships) but its a valid point.

to learn, just like i did in the past few weeks, search google with the exact same 'string' you used on this topic "learn how to unlock phones' (again not trying to offend you) and you WILL get the answers to the questions you are asking, over the top info, nothing specific.
    p2p search the topic and you will find software(some with viruses) that can get the job done.

i always ebay'ed for an unlocking service, i had the same doubts you did a few weeks back, and i searched, gave my input and here i am now, telling you what i did...
    googled "how to unlock phones" "gsm unlock" "blackberry unlock" simple search strings take you so far...(not getting anything "good", try google.ca/google.fr/etc) to hand you some pointers on a silver platter.
    again not trying to offend you, but in order to get help you first have to try and help yourself
    my reply was honest right to the point and the answer to all your questions, google, p2p search. thats all you need

on a final note:
    legality on this subject is based on where you are located, i.e in the USA it is legal since November 27, 2006, before that it was illegal.
    found on a google search, re-enforced on a wiki search
    Wiki - SIM lock

no hard feelings... its just that searching is the answer to all earth bound questions. it beats getting directed to a website or whatever, i jsut see that as wanting things handed over on a silver platter, thats just imo...
    06-20-07 12:41 AM
    thank you for responding in yet again another clear and well expressed post!

just to clear the air, i was not offended, i may at times come off as maybe a bit......rough sometimes? however, i found your last post most informative and i will take your suggestions and run with them. I appreciate your open mind and thank you again for being helpful rather than one that just posts useless posts designed to shutdown an inquiring mind. I can see how one may think posting a request for some information in a forum as wanting it on a silverplatter. Then again, why not? If one can share the knowledge they have aquired, the joy is 10 fold in helping those less knowledgable reach that point. Who knows, maybe someday, someone may help you!

So, with that in mind, if anyone can direct me to a tutorial or some solid concrete info on unlocking, it would be much appreciated!

as for you schizo, keep up the good work! If you can share any of those sites or programs, again, it would be much appreciated. If not, you have done enough already!

KEEP ON CRACKIN!!! BERRIES!!!
    06-20-07 06:47 AM
    Ok, so

Unlocking your phones at home is like doing your own cigars :

It's "ok" if you do it for yourself, but its illegal if you try to sell them, because there are laws protecting the manufacteurs.

So, it's legal and ilegal at the same time...

Sent from a old but beautiful BB 8520 or a new and shinny PB 2.0
    08-03-12 02:09 AM
    My 9900 was supplied from Virgin UK, unlocked and unbranded, nice !
    08-03-12 04:01 AM
    *sigh*

In the US, it's a violation of the DMCA to unlock your cellphone without carrier permission. This became law in January of 2013. CNET did a good article on it.
    http://m.cnet.com/news/what-the-dmca...u-faq/57572492

As far as how this squares with fundamental property rights, I can't really say. I have a personal opinion on it, but I have personal options on lots of things that Congress does.

Keep in mind that this only applies to the US. I don't know about other countries.
    01-25-14 01:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD