Also posted to the Storm 9530 section but little activity there and maybe this forum more appropritate???

I have a newly aquired storm 9530 on the Rogers Network in Canada.
    Recently had phone unlocked to get on to Rogers - phone was bought used on Ebay.

I do not have any data plan with my carrier - but was hoping to be able to use apps.

Do all apps require having a data plan with my carrier - would like to start with something like googlemaps or another map/nav type of app but unsure if I would use them enough to justify paying for data from Rogers.

Is the possible - do these gps type apps rely on Data plans?
    Any help would be appreciated

Thanks in advance

Glenn
    03-03-12 04:26 PM
    I'm pretty sure you can download them from the appworld site on your PC then load them onto your phone using desktop manager.
    03-03-12 07:18 PM
    thanks - i have app world browser plug in installed on pc - but still doing something wrong i guess - unless it is because i have no data plan?
    03-03-12 07:33 PM
    Ahh yes. That is correct I also don't use DM for anything other than to backup everynow and then. Forgot about the app world plugin.
    03-03-12 07:40 PM
    @kellyjdrummer... If you want to help them out try turning off your mobile connection and see if you can download and install an app through the plugin. I'm not near my PC right now or I would try it. But I think that could possibly be a simple way to test it out. I've installed apps for my kid to playy on my pearl that I don't use anymore. This was WITHOUT a data connection.
    03-03-12 07:48 PM
    Hahah. Sorry bud. If I do it ill need to start my car, warm it up, get bundled up and drive across the city. Thanks for taking one for the team
    03-03-12 08:06 PM
    ok - I have what I believe i need installed
    go to appworld and sign in

with usb unplugged try to buy an app

it tells me to plug in phone

then i get this message

App World Web Plugin Error
    An error has occurred communicating with the BlackBerry App World Web plugin. Please restart your device and try again. If you have content protection enabled on your device, please disable and try again.

is this a catch to insure that all buyers have a data plan?
    03-03-12 08:34 PM
    Still getting the same error message - App World Web Plugin Error
    An error has occurred communicating with the BlackBerry App World Web plugin. Please restart your device and try again. If you have content protection enabled on your device, please disable and try again.

Anybody know what is happening here?
    03-08-12 09:25 PM
    Uninstall and reinstall the plug in....and not to be a smartass, but double check that you don't have content protection enabled.
    03-08-12 09:28 PM
    maybe that is the problem - i can not find any setting on my phone for content protection??
    03-08-12 10:02 PM
    BTW - my OS is 5.0.0.328
    03-08-12 10:07 PM
    Options. Security. Encryption. Uncheck the boxes.
    03-08-12 10:12 PM
    Sorry. Os 5.......

Enabling/Disabling Content Protection on a RIM BlackBerry using Handheld Software version 4.1 or later:

Scroll to and select Settings.
    Scroll to and select Options.
    Scroll to and select Security Options.
    Highlight and select General Settings.
    Highlight Content Protection.
    select Change Option.
    Scroll to and select Enabled or Disabled.
    Save.
    When the settings have been updated you will be prompted to enter in a password
    03-08-12 10:16 PM
    went well through this part

Scroll to and select Settings.
    Scroll to and select Options.
    Scroll to and select Security Options

do not have general settings - after security options i have -
    1- advanced security options
    2- Encyption
    3- firewall
    4- information
    5- security wipe

if i go into Encryption it is disabled
    03-08-12 10:24 PM
    Try enabling it. Save. Then disable and save.
    03-08-12 10:29 PM
    thanks - done that - no what should happen next
    03-08-12 10:36 PM
    Try Resetting the BB by pulling the Battery or restore to factory settings

KB18998-How to reset the BlackBerry smartphone to factory defaults

Your wireless carrier might block access to appworld, but if you downloaded the latest it should work fine.

Regarding the webplugin error, did you try downloading via the Appworld website? - you need ADMIN rights to download plugins.

if not try this

Create a new user account in your PC with ADMIN Privilages and download the latest version of your favourite browser, i recommend Chrome.

Now go to this website
    BlackBerry App World - Free BlackBerry Apps - Official Store

I assume you have already Installed BB desktop software and Connected properly

now start downloading any app and you will be directed to download the plugin again.
    03-08-12 10:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD