Is there an app that enables you to forget the Alt button?

On PalmOS (R.I.P.), there was an app where you pressed the desired button twice, quickly, and the alternate number or symbol was inserted. I loved it - it was much easier and quicker than pressing 2 buttons - Alt plus the one you needed.

Is there such a BB app? (If not, I think there would be a good market for it!)

Arnie
    Last edited by arnie27; 12-14-09 at 04:01 AM.
    12-14-09 03:58 AM
    I'd go for something like that, too. Had something similar on my hp palmtop.
    12-14-09 08:22 AM
    What's wrong with the alt? It makes punctuation input so much more accurate lol. Just get use to it and ull have no problem. I was having problem when I first got my blackberry, but after a few uses, I got used to it

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-14-09 08:51 AM
    Is there such a BB app? (If not, I think there would be a good market for it!)

Arnie
    Sadly, no
    12-14-09 10:30 AM
    The first app I wanted to write when I got into BB dev was a key remapper to make the Shift keys be Alt keys and the Alt key be caps lock, dispense altogether with any key being Shift (just hold the letter, or hit caps lock if typing in all caps), and also add the multi-press cycles through alt characters features that my old LG had.

And after much searching and cursing, it turns out (don't miss this, it's too good) that they have Hard-Coded the keymap into the device so it cannot be changed.

I can retrieve the keymap, and can intercept and remap the strokes within my own application, but there's no such thing as loading a different keymap for the entire system, and you can't intercept keystrokes when your app doesn't have the focus. So... no, it's not possible, and how unfortunate that is.

The BB keyboard would be a LOT better with caps lock where Alt is, and the shift keys acting as Alt keys, and multi-tap going first to the capital then to the alt character... don't you think?
    12-14-09 08:29 PM
    That would work much easier and better!
    It's a pity phone makers don't consult with phone users!
    12-15-09 01:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD