I have a 9700, I have to run smart wifi, xobni, youmail, podtrapper, personal assistant, and ubertwitter all in the background

Is this enough to make my blackberry sluggish? What apps do you guys run 24/7??

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-28-10 11:14 AM
    Oh and I forgot berryweather

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-28-10 11:15 AM
    I don't run anything 24/7.

As for your sluggish question, couldn't you have just looked and experienced it yourself?

It shouldn't slow down your phone much. Although you will see a quicker drop in battery life...
    07-28-10 11:18 AM
    You're fine. Here is what you need to understand. There is a huge difference
    between an app running and an app being resident.

A running app is one that is actively working (BeWeather, SocialScope, for instance)
    A resident app is an app that is loaded into memory but will not have a major effect
    on overall memory until the user calls on it to do something (i.e. Browser, phone)

I have the same device as you and on my app ribbon, in addition to the five (5)
    apps that are always resident are the following: SocialScope, BeWeather,
    SmrtGuard, Profiler Pro, Bit.lify, MSDictionary, Blink, Phone Tweak, TellMe,
    eMobile Professional Today and Ultimate Lock.

Even with those additional 11 apps there is no degradation in my device speed,
    performance or memory (Current file free:103,867,987)
    07-28-10 12:31 PM
    I have 37 apps installed on my phone and I once ran (launched) them all.

The phone ran fine. Of course launching these app did nt mean that they were all actively running. Most just sat there and used their allocated memory.

I was able to make calls as normal.
    07-28-10 12:38 PM
    You're fine. Here is what you need to understand. There is a huge difference
    between an app running and an app being resident.
    AG is completely correct. Ill just elaborate a little more.

Lets take a twitter application as the first example. If you have it set to update every 10 minutes, then actively every 10 minutes its going and to be running every 10 minutes no matter what.

Then there are apps lets say an app the shows e-mail or SMS popups. The app will still be resident in memory, but its more passive. The BB API (programming interface to simplify), allows many type of "listeners" to be set. Meaning that an app can say "hey I want to listen for new emails and sms messages". The OS then notifies the app when one arrives. So altough the app is resident in memory its not actually doing anything until the OS wakes it up essentially.
    07-28-10 01:44 PM
    I have 4 apps in addition to the basic 5 running, with no impact on performance.
    07-28-10 01:45 PM
    The point AG, Shao and myself are making is that apps on your phone only take up memory until they start doing things (using up processor ticks).

If you run MemoPad, then it becomes active but no matter what you do to it (how fast can you type?) you will never load the CPU very much.

Run a graphics intensive game that is doing lots of calculations and the CPU is loaded quite a bit but since other apps are not running (apart from the usual 4 or 5) so your phone will get a bit warm and the battery will run down a bit faster. No big deal.

Now, let's run the same game and a big download in the background. Oooh. The game slows down and is not so much fun. The CPU is having to share its time (task switch) because the download in the background has an absolute requirement that some things happen at regular intervals (maybe packet checking) and when certain milestones are reached (maybe chunks of data written to the Media Card).

The CPU will stop playing the game whilst it goes off and does downloading stuff. The game play slows down and gets choppy. The phone gets a bit hotter (the CPU was already running nearly at maximum - not it IS flat out). Guess what happens to the battery.

Now try and make a phone call and the game will immediately stop and the download will continue if the network wil let it.

When the download has finished and you stop playing the game, the memory is still at about the same usage but the CPU is not loaded more than it was before you installed the game.

Hopefully this will clear things up a bit more.
    07-28-10 02:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD