I just upgraded to OS .99 without a wipe. Before starting Backed up myy BB using the Desktop Manager. After the upgrade and resyncing with my enterprize server i have to manually restore my old emails using the Desktop Manager.

Everything went fine but all my 3rd party apps loose their settings and the "app data" in the restore on Desktop Manager is grayed out although the device and backup both say they have 128 records. Here are some examples of the types of things i loose:
    WeatherBug - locations
    QuickLanch - activations code and all items
    Pageonce - activation code
    VZ Navigator - Favorite locations and home
    Flycast - login data

Where can i restore this type of data or do you need to reenter each time? All BB type applications seem to keep their settings just fine.
    02-02-09 04:34 PM
    From what I've discovered alot of items require you to re-enter registration information and some require complete setup. All my applications (I also have WeatherBug, and QuickLaunch) require you to do this.
    02-02-09 06:04 PM
    Bump. Anyone found a good way to backup your 3rd-party app settings?
    04-05-09 07:02 PM
    check the stickies on this sub forum.

Basically you have to use DM and the switch BB devices. Save just the 3rd party apps, find the temp folder and use that as the restore.

More details are offered in the sticky.
    04-05-09 07:42 PM
    check the stickies on this sub forum.

Basically you have to use DM and the switch BB devices. Save just the 3rd party apps, find the temp folder and use that as the restore.

More details are offered in the sticky.
    Yes of course I know how to backup and restore the apps themselves, but it's the settings such as username/pws, weatherbug locations, gmaps favorites, etc. I'm guessing no one knows or it's not possible, because the question was asked several times in the "backup 3rd party apps" thread with no answer that I could find.
    04-05-09 09:18 PM
    I tried a restore just a few days ago after upgrading from .109 to .113 (didn't really need to, just wanted to make sure it worked). Yes, the 3rd party app backup worked fine, yes it restored all the apps fine ...

But as stated in this thread, then came the arduous task of going into Options>Advanced Options>Applications and manually resetting every 3rd party app. Whether it was to allow communication or just disable Compatibility Mode, everything was back to default settings instead of what I had saved previously. Then I had to open every app and many of them required reregistering of license codes or logins or other hoops to jump through to get things back to normal. I guess it only makes sense since I assume for security purposes any info we add to customize an app would be stored as separate Security data and not within the app itself where it could easily be hacked. since we are overwriting base OS code during an upgrade we are essentially overwriting the Security info.
    04-06-09 12:51 AM
    All my 3rd party apps save setting whenever I upgrade. The only thing I have to re-enter is my login info on slacker and gmail.
    04-06-09 08:20 AM
    3rd party apps restore fine for me. I do a manual backup, which saves alll my settings. So after the upgrade I reload my 3rd party apps and then restore from my backup. Have not had an issue yet.
    04-06-09 09:03 AM
    I think it depends on the app. Almost all my apps came back with all there settings, but weatherbug and Slacker always require more setup.
    04-06-09 09:42 AM
    the funny thing is, if you have demo stuff on your phone, and upgrade your OS or put them back on there, the demos start over haha

Also there is some thing for demo apps you can set your date ahead on your phone to like 2012, then install the app with that date, then run it once, then restart your BB, then change the date back again, then you should be able to use that app forever.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-06-09 09:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD