Hi all, I just moved from Windows Mobile to Blackberry and am loving every minute of this new OS. Just a quick question, if I change my device (currently on the 8520 Curve) to a new one (kinda lusting for the 9700 Bold), what happens to all the apps that I purchased? Do I get to move them too, or do I buy them all over again?

Posted the same question in another thread but wasn't getting a reply. Hope some kind soul answers me this time

thanks!
    05-05-10 06:55 AM
    Login to your account at whatever store you purchased them from (Mobihand,
    App World, Crackberry Store), change your device information and select how
    you would like the download links sent to your phone.

Changing your device will generate new registration numbers based on your new PIN
    05-05-10 07:07 AM
    Alternatively, if you do a backup of your third-party apps and then restore, you don't have to download, but still need to go thru the process noted by amazinglygraceless to updated your various accounts with your new PIN to get new registration numbers, etc......

Either way works well.
    05-05-10 08:08 AM
    Login to your account at whatever store you purchased them from (Mobihand,
    App World, Crackberry Store), change your device information and select how
    you would like the download links sent to your phone.

Changing your device will generate new registration numbers based on your new PIN
    man this truly sounds like a headache, i wonder when RIM will make this a more convenient experience for the customer. Its funny i've never heard this even brought up before (although im sure it has).
    05-05-10 08:11 AM
    Honestly Brandon it isn't. When I switched from the 8900 to the 9700 it took me
    all of 10 minutes to re-register about 30 paid apps. I use BBSAK so I did not need
    to reload any of them.

I imagine it would have been a pain from the phone but on my netbook it was a breeze.
    05-05-10 08:22 AM
    cool cool i can understand that, but how many average users or corporate guy do you think know about this BBSAK.
    05-05-10 08:23 AM
    Corp guys will just get their BES Admin to restore the BB from the server. But I know what you mean. It can be a PIA, but I have found the process to be doable and not too bad if done from the mobihand (CB Store) which keeps all your codes together in a handy My Account page.
    05-05-10 08:30 AM
    cool thats something i think you guys should maybe do a torturiol on, at the main blog page, im sure there are tons of memebers who have no idea about the ways to back the applications up on the Blackberry smartphone and merely purchase them all over again.
    05-05-10 08:52 AM
    One side note. Some apps are locked to a specific device (Shazam comes to mind) which means they will need to be repurchased. But for the most part its just as simple as stated above. Went from an 8310 to a 9700 and all my apps copied over or were upgraded.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-05-10 08:56 AM
    One side note. Some apps are locked to a specific device (Shazam comes to mind) which means they will need to be repurchased. But for the most part its just as simple as stated above. Went from an 8310 to a 9700 and all my apps copied over or were upgraded.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    True, but even on those apps, exceptions can be made, like when your device gets replaced under warranty, you just email the developer and generally they will approve a new code.
    05-05-10 09:19 AM
    Roger that!! One I recall was Empower. I bought that from the carrier site directly
    when I had the 8100. When I moved to the 8310 I sent an email and in less than
    an hour I had a new code.
    05-05-10 09:36 AM
    cool cool i can understand that, but how many average users or corporate guy do you think know about this BBSAK.
    Well that's their problem in all honesty. I'm expecting a replacement device
    today and I already have everything backed up and ready to restore. A quick
    login to MobiHand, update my PIN and expect an email within a couple of
    hours letting me know that it was accepeted and my apps now have new
    activation codes.
    05-05-10 01:12 PM
    Truly appreciate the help. Thanks all!
    05-20-10 08:14 AM
    I did this recently for a replacement phone, and it was token easy. Used the Desktop Manager software, ran the device switch wizard, hooked up the old phone, then when prompted, hooked up the new phone, everything perfectly transferred and restored. THe only left to do was to log in to the mobihand store where I bought some apps, fill out the token PIN change form, wait a little while, get the new codes and enter them in to the phone.

It was straightforward, and the kind of thing anybody should be able to accomplish.
    05-20-10 08:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD