I did an update on my BB and had a tough time getting the files that I backed up on my phone again since the update wiped it back to the factory settings. So I searched the internet and came across this site and finally figured out how to do that. I got my contacts, calendar and everything important to me, but I can not seem to find any of the apps that I downloaded. Some of them were not free so I hate to have to download and pay again. Any advice on how to retrieve them or how to save them in a backup for the future would be very much appreciated. Thanks, so much!
    05-15-11 12:00 AM
    a quick search of this site would have come up with a few threads on this topic, but since you are new, I'll try and help you out. First of all, welcome to crackberry! Tons of useful info, so don't be afraid to browse around....

Desktop manager and the OS apploader cannot back up (and reinstall) third party apps... For future updates there is a program called bbsak that can do this for you, but is of no help now...

The only way to get your apps back is to re download them...

Open up app world, sign in, and then goto 'my apps', or 'my appworld'. You will see a list of all your previously downloaded apps (and purchased ones too). Just re download the ones you still want, and you should be all set.

Let us know how it goes

Cheers,

-Tbrenn

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-15-11 12:28 AM
    Desktop manager and the OS apploader cannot back up (and reinstall) third party apps... For future updates there is a program called bbsak that can do this for you, but is of no help now...

The only way to get your apps back is to re download them...

doing OS updates via apploader automatically backs up all device data including 3rd paty apps, so long as you check mark the box that does so (it is by default). i ONLY use apploader to update my OS and have never lost an app. the loader pulls all app COD files out prior to the upgrade, backs up data, wipes, loads the new OS then restores all device data and app cod files.
    05-15-11 12:44 AM
    What dictoresno says is correct. Just yesterday Apploader put a new leak on my phone. Registration was all my third party apps needed. Smoothe and easy process with the latest DM on board.

05-15-11 06:53 AM
    doing OS updates via apploader automatically backs up all device data including 3rd paty apps, so long as you check mark the box that does so (it is by default). i ONLY use apploader to update my OS and have never lost an app. the loader pulls all app COD files out prior to the upgrade, backs up data, wipes, loads the new OS then restores all device data and app cod files.
    Exactly the process most people should do when upgrading the OS.

As far as the op goes, he didn't explain how he updated so I'm going to assume it was an OTA upgrade. Any paid app can be redownloaded via app world or mobihand(again assuming you got them there).

If you used a pc and the apploader process, you might want to have a look in your documents for a file called Loaderbackup(date of backup).ipd. This will have all your data as well as the third party apps you don't have now. Just simply use the desktop manager to do a restore and use that file.
    05-15-11 07:31 AM
    The backup won't have 3rd party apps, but if you use loader.exe, after it makes a backup of them, which is a temp file, search for your pin# while the rest of the upgrade process is underway, and copy/paste the temp folder somewhere you can find it. Then you have a backup you can use.
    05-15-11 07:45 AM
    The backup won't have 3rd party apps, but if you use loader.exe, after it makes a backup of them, which is a temp file, search for your pin# while the rest of the upgrade process is underway, and copy/paste the temp folder somewhere you can find it. Then you have a backup you can use.
    good idea. you should be able to then copy/paste all the cod files right into the OS folder which will then always load with the OS. never thought of that.
    05-16-11 01:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD