I really really really want to delete my facebook application on my phone, the google talk, yahoo messenger, and the myspace thing, I can hide them but how do I permanetly delete them?? I feel like they make my phone go slower, and it freezes sometimes...help me please I'm still new to this phone..
    02-07-09 08:25 PM
    options/adv. options near the top/apps at the top/menu key after highlighting the app you want to delete, scroll down to delete
    02-07-09 08:27 PM
    You can also use the Desktop Manager. I think there is a specific Add/Remove Applications area.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-07-09 08:31 PM
    After you delete these apps you wish gone make sure you come back if you are still having issues with slowness, freezing. There are other steps you can take once you are more comfortable with your phone.......

Good luck and welcome to CrackBerry
    02-07-09 08:34 PM
    okay so I deleted them...through the advanced options thing, and through the service book and I still have the facebook icon on it, the yahoo and google things are gone but the facebook icon is not going away!! any suggestions?
    02-07-09 09:31 PM
    Yank your battery out and see if it is gone. Are you sure it is not on the apps list still?

Battery pull should sort it - I believe
    02-07-09 09:37 PM
    I took the battery out and now they are all back, so I just went back and deleted them again, now the facebook icon is gone...thanks for the advice..

I have another random question for whomever...if I enable the firewall, what does that all do to the phone for me?
    02-07-09 10:04 PM
    There is no way to permanently get rid of those icons. They're pushed to your phone via service books, and even if you delete the service book, it will just get pushed to your phone again. Just hide them. Don't worry, they take up a negligible amount of space on your phone.

The Firewall option on your phone isn't the same as a firewall for a PC. Its main function is to just block data traffic to and from your phone, and isn't selective at all. Leave it disabled.

02-08-09 12:29 AM
    Yep I hate that you can't delete the facebook application, my girl be thinking I have a facebook without her knowing. Kind of lame

02-08-09 03:29 AM
    Aero can you explain the facebook no delete thing? Is this an app that comes with Sprint phones - is that why?

I am confused because I download the facebook app and hated it, deleted it with no problems..... Hoping its a weird Sprint thing. Simply curious so I can gain the knowledge......

Regards

Trem
    02-08-09 04:29 AM
    OK, here's the thing I think is confusing most people... The Facebook icon that comes preinstalled on your phone isn't the actual application. It's just a link to the download site for the application. If you chose to download and install it, the application will take the place of that link. If you later delete the application from your phone, the service book that put the icon and the link there in the first place will still be there. Don't worry though, the application is not on your phone... All that is there is the link to once again download the application. You can delete the service book and make the icon go away, but your provider will just push the service book back out to you again and bring the icon back. Again, this is not the application. You have to manually download and install it, because it is third-party software, and RIM won't let it be installed without you agreeing to hold them harmless if it messes your phone up. The only way to permanently not see the icon is to either hide it, or make a folder and put it in there. Hope that helps clear this up.

Last edited by aerophage; 02-08-09 at 04:45 AM.
    02-08-09 04:38 AM
    Roger that! Understood now. I was only curious if this was a pre-installed or user downloaded issue. For me it was user downloaded - hated and deleted

Clears it up for me. Now I know.

Appreciate the info aerophage.
    02-08-09 04:43 AM
    Just as a side note, it's not just the Facebook app this applies to. It's the same thing for the MySpace app, Sprint Nav, Sprint TV, PocketExpress, and all the other 3rd party software that Sprint wants to push on you. Yes, if Sprint had their way, it would come preinstalled and you wouldn't be able to get rid of it, but then that would make RIM liable if any of it messed up your phone, since it came preinstalled. So, Sprint pushes you a service book with a download link for the applications, where in order to install it you agree to hold RIM harmless if said app ends up bricking your phone. Not that there's much chance of that happening, but it's not good business sense to bank on "it probably won't happen."

02-08-09 04:44 AM
    Oh, and it's not just Sprint... All carriers have their own set of service book links they push to their subscribers... One notable example being US Cellular... Ask one of them about the plethora of new download links that got pushed out concurrent to their 4.5 update.

02-08-09 04:48 AM
    i just went to advanced options and deleted everything i didn't like & the ones i wasn't able to get rid of.. i just hid
    02-08-09 08:36 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD