***UPDATE FOR DM 4.7***

1) Plug in device>Open DM>Device Switch Wizard

2) DSW>BlackBerry devices

3) Make sure ONLY 3rd Party Applications is checked>Select Next

4) DM will back up 3rd party apps, when finished DO NOT select Next or Cancel!!!

5) Search your computer Files & Folders and DEFINITELY make sure to search HIDDEN FILES & FOLDERS for a folder with the same name as your PIN and a .alx file.

6) Move both the folder and .alx file to an easy a
    accessible place you remember.

7) Go back to the DM and cancel the process.

PIN Folder- Search Method for VISTA Users

1) Click Start Circle

2) Click on Help & Support

3) Enter "Search Folder"

4) Click on "Find a file or folder"

5) Click on "To find a file or folder using the Search folder"

6) Click on "Click to open search"

7) Click on the expand arrow next to "Advanced Search"

8) Click on "Location" and use Local Disk C: (usually!)

9) Enter the PIN of your BB under "Name"

10) Make sure the box is checked next to "Include non-indexed, hidden, and system files"

If you do not want to follow those instructions you may take this path also:

C:\Users\[name]\AppData\Local\Temp

Thanks to jfksabal for the Vista search method.

RESTORE PROCESS

1) Plug in device>Open Desktop Manager

2) Select Apploader>Add/Remove Applications

3) Select Add

4) Browse to Folder named your PIN #

5) Select the .alx file and Select Open>Select Next

This Tutorial was made by Crucial_Xtreme. Please do not copy and paste this tutorial anywhere without my permission. You may however, post links. Thank you very much and I hope this helps atleast one person.
    BBSAK is the only predictable means of achieving this. This is a long winded way to achieve the desirable.
    08-12-09 10:56 AM
    5) Search your computer Files & Folders and DEFINITELY make sure to search HIDDEN FILES & FOLDERS for a folder with the same name as your PIN and a .alx file.

For Windows
    CX, another easy Step to do is to click START and click RUN from there you type this %temp% click OK and look for you PIN number FOLDER, copy or move all 3rd party application and set them where you could rememeber them. make sure to take your (PIN.ALX) file too.
    You saved the day! Nothing else on this post made any sense to me (although i didn't search past your post).
    08-24-09 12:21 AM
    Worked for me. Thanks a bunch.
    10-14-09 02:53 AM
    BBSAK is the only predictable means of achieving this. This is a long winded way to achieve the desirable.
    The problem with the BBSAK backup is that it retores each and every .cod file into the applications list. Then in order to delete an app you have to know which .cod files are associated with the app you want to remove. Using the method provided by CX is not complicated and restores the apps correctly after a reinstall.
    10-16-09 09:26 AM
    Worked for me! Upgraded to one of the Hybrid releases for my 8330 and this worked like a charm. Thanks for the guide!
    11-03-09 04:49 PM
    I just updated my BB Bold for the new 9700. Problem was I could not back up my third party app's i.e. Pandora, Google Mobile etc.

I found a free program that solves this issue and it is:
    BlackBerry Swiss Army Knife (BSAK)

You may have to donate a dollar, but will worth it!

Happy Blackberrying.
    11-23-09 07:38 PM
    ***RANDOM QUESTION*** SORRY

I'm not running 4.7, I'm running 5.0, but I have a random question and this thread seems somewhat related. For some reason I cannot post my own thread, or find a thread concerning the problem I'm having.

BUT, about a year ago I deleted my NotePad and To Do List (or whatever it's called) Applications to save memory. But now that I want to use them, I cannot find anywhere an archive of them or how to restore them!? Does anyone know how to do this??? Any help would greatly be appreciated! Thanks.
    12-12-09 01:47 PM
    I'm no expert, but I would imagine that you may have to reload your 5.0 Device OS in order to reload/replace any OS provided applications. Option#2: Find a 3rd Party app that does the same thing, sometimes they work even better! This is probably the option I would choose, because it's no where near as labor/time intensive as an OS reload...
    12-25-09 03:33 PM
    Another note I would like to post about my experience while upgrading my 9530 from OS 4.7.148 to OS 5.0: By default, some of the 3rd party apps like "Fakebook", Blackberry Messenger, Myspace, Windows Messenger, will have to be upgraded via OTA download/install from your device after the 5.0 update is installed on your device. By default, these apps as they were, had issues when upgrading to 5.0. To make it easier on myself, when installing 5.0 using Crucial's tutorial (Excellent by the way), I chose not to restore any of my 3rd party apps, and just downloaded the newer versions of them from scratch. I did also check the box "automatically backup and restore my application data", during the upgrade process. I did perform a complete device backup of my 4.7.148 OS first, placed it in my own created folder, before I attempted the jump to 5.0. This yielded excellent results for me, with no errors. My suggestion for those that aren't familiar to OS upgrades, TAKE YOUR TIME! Read everything you can BEFORE you attempt this jump. If you do accidentally reload 3rd party apps that are not compatible with OS 5.0, you will more than likely receive errors from said 3rd party apps. After you have completed a FRESH and FUNCTIONING OS upgrade, plug your device back in, open Desktop Manager, and do a complete device backup (Make sure your device first registers with your network, and your contacts have migrated over). Always rename your backup files with names that help you remember what they are. I have a folder that I created called "Master Blackberry Files." Inside this folder, I created subfolders with easily identifiable names, so in the event that something goes wrong, I can easily find which info I need to backup. Once you have downloaded all of the newer versions of your 3rd party apps, and are sure they also are working properly, plug in and back those up as well. Use the tutorial in the forums on how to do that. Heed the advice of the experienced people on this forum, and you will have a very happy device!
    12-25-09 04:21 PM
    Can anyone RE-DO this for the updated version of Desktop manager? Because when you go to back up your Phone, u can't choose 3rd party apps.
    12-25-09 07:49 PM
    thanks will give this a go when i upgrade my os
    12-29-09 12:22 PM
    Can anyone RE-DO this for the updated version of Desktop manager? Because when you go to back up your Phone, u can't choose 3rd party apps.

I have noticed in the updated version of DM, that it has the option of backing up 3rd party apps, but always seems to fail when "trying to retrieve wirelessly downloaded applications".

This is an annoying problem, but it is easily solved. Download BBSAK. It is free to use (donate $1 to RIMGeeks for their hard work), small/portable, and is extremely powerful interacting with your device. To backup 3rd party apps using it, Just takes 6 simple steps:

1.) Connect to your device via USB and start the application. Click "OK" if no password is required for your device.
    2.) One the front screen, click on the button that says "Backup 3rd Party Apps". This will create a backup folder of all the .cod's in C:\Program Files\BBSAK.

After Loading new OS:
    3.) Open BBSAK, and navigate to the second tab labeled "Modify CODs".
    4.) Click on the button labeled "Install CODs". This will bring up an explorer window.
    5.) Navigate to your backup folder that was previously created, C:\Program Files\BBSAK, and double-click the "backup" folder.
    6.) Click on the 1st COD listed then, hold shift + down arrow key and make sure you have selected all the CODs in the folder. Click "Install".

You may or may not get a message immediately that "CODs install successfully". If you don't, hang tight. It may take a few mins for your device to update itself, depending on how many apps you backed up.

This method is a sure-fire way to get the 3rd party apps back on your device after a 5.0==>5.0 upgrade. If you are moving from 4.7==>5.0, you will most likely have to upgrade the apps themselves. Re-downloading them OTA is the best bet.

Some people have also found good luck just clicking on the "Restore Apps" button on the main screen. I have never had a single restore go well that way. As mentioned above, it may be a few more steps, but my way is guaranteed to work.
    12-29-09 01:27 PM
    Before upgrading to 5.0.0.419 I did a back-up with desktop manager. After the upgrade, I ran the restore through desktop manager but none of my apps came back. I found a file list of all my apps in the applications folder-> Files-> File Folders-> Device Memory-> BlackBerry-> app_world-> downloads-> 30903425. From that point, there are folders for each app and all the files in each folder seem to be .rem files. The free apps are easy enough to replace but I don't want to have to repay for all the others. Does anyone know what I did wrong or how I can get them back?
    01-27-10 04:18 PM
    What about backing it up using Desktop Manager 5.0? Is this the same process as in 4.7? Thanks.
    08-27-10 12:59 AM
    Anything for Linux Crucial_Xtreme?
    04-24-11 11:38 AM
115 ... 345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD