Hey everyone, I'm looking to buy my first "smart phone" I'm leaning towards the 8330.. I thought about the storm but the lack of keyboard just doesn't seem appealing.. Well anyways, I almost had my mind made up on the Curve until I saw the Centro. As strictly a phone it doesn't seem nearly as nice as the Curve or Pearl.. but the flexibility of using all the countless Palm OS apps is very big bonus for me.. especially since I'm a bit of a gamer geek So my question is.. What is the "homebrew" scene like on the blackberry? and if its lacking is it a limitation of the Blackberry OS or is it just a lack of programmers developing for it. Thanks!
    05-08-09 03:35 PM
    I'm on my phone at work so I don't have much time to google things. Can you go into detail as what a "homebrew" is?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-08-09 04:16 PM
    You can run just about any app you want on BB.
    05-08-09 07:38 PM
    I'm on my phone at work so I don't have much time to google things. Can you go into detail as what a "homebrew" is?

well, homebrew can be anything but its usually programs made by independent programmers or "hobbyists." For example, on Palm and Pocket PC there are all sorts of apps you can download for free like that. Anything from document viewers, console emulators (atari,NES,etc) or even ports of old PC games like Doom or Wolfenstein.

After reading a thread at Blackberryforums it seems like the Blackberry being based on Java is a bit of a handcap in this regard.. at least for gaming apps.
    I would post a link but I have to have 10 post on the forum before it will let me.. If you google "developing "Doom" for blackberry" you will find it.
    05-08-09 08:42 PM
    I'd say stick with palm. You'll never be happy with a BB if homebrew apps are your thing. Then again with RIM making berries more mainstream by the minute, you never know...

05-08-09 08:45 PM
    I'd say stick with palm. You'll never be happy with a BB if homebrew apps are your thing. Then again with RIM making berries more mainstream by the minute, you never know...

I think I still might get the 8330 and just get a cheap Palm or Pocket PC to "tinker" with I'm sure there are plenty of old PDAs floating around that don't have "mobile" capability and thus are probably cheap. The Centro looks ok for an all-in-one device but the keys look SO tiny and I have big hands.
    05-08-09 08:52 PM
    I think I still might get the 8330 and just get a cheap Palm or Pocket PC to "tinker" with I'm sure there are plenty of old PDAs floating around that don't have "mobile" capability and thus are probably cheap. The Centro looks ok for an all-in-one device but the keys look SO tiny and I have big hands.
    When I tried the Centro at Best Buy, I could barely type on it the keys were so small. The keys on the Curve might be small, but they are not as small as the Centro's and the Curve's keyboard is very usable.
    05-08-09 09:25 PM
    Blackberry is great for business and media communication.
    If your looking for game emulators you should stick with what you have or get a modded psp.
    Look into Blackberry App World and see what's available but I think for communication Blackberries surpass what other smart phones can do. For entertainment you may want to look for something else.

05-08-09 10:20 PM
    Blackberry is great for business and media communication.
    If your looking for game emulators you should stick with what you have or get a modded psp.
    Look into Blackberry App World and see what's available but I think for communication Blackberries surpass what other smart phones can do. For entertainment you may want to look for something else.

thanks for the reply. Right now I don't have any sort of PDA. I've owned a Tapwave Zodiac (Palm device), GP2x (linux handheld), PSP, Nintendo DS, etc. but I sold them all. I can't really justify owning a handheld game only device because I really never get that much use out of them. If there was a device that had similar specs and qwerty keyboard of the 3300 but ran on Palm OS instead of Java then I think I would be sold on it. I guess basically a bigger, more "pimped out" Centro. My dad has a VX6600 that he would GIVE me but I never liked Pocket PC that much and plus that thing is HUGE!

EDIT: Maybe I should look into a used Treo since Verizon doesn't carry them anymore.. I can get a Treo 650 for $35! That's almost disposable ;P
    Last edited by brandon9271; 05-09-09 at 12:02 AM.
    05-08-09 10:49 PM
    My wife had a centro for 5 days before returning it - slow, and horrible battery life. I don't think it ever made it more than 12 hours on a charge. I think a dedicated palm device like a tungsten e2 you could probably find cheap and it would be better for homebrew apps.

05-09-09 06:46 AM
    There's quite a number of apps that would qualify as "homebrew", but maybe we BB homebrewers are more willing to charge money for them. Even with a BB's limitations for the developer, a lot is possible. Personally, I picked a BlackBerry in part because it was relatively easy for me -- a Java developer -- to get started. See my sig for my own homebrew (2 of them are free).
    05-09-09 01:53 PM
    major props cwong on the free tip calculator app
    05-09-09 02:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD