Hi all,

I'm putting up a beta of the app Home Screen Notes for download to see if I can get some feedback from OS 7 users. It seems some of my users are having trouble creating notes while others aren't. I'm having a bit of trouble recreating this issue so I am reaching out for help. The beta is fully functional but it will stop functioning on the last day of this month. In the cases it doesn't work, the phone provider wallpaper comes up.

Thanks again for the feedback!

Download: (removed since expired)
    Last edited by cpqsoft; 11-12-11 at 05:47 PM.
    09-06-11 07:28 PM
    Already got your app and that is exactly what it is doing to me tried a few different wall papers & all it did was revert the phone to the factory red wall paper
    Used oem, photos, correct & non correct resolution wall paper
    Twice out of about a dozen tries the wall paper took but there was no note on it
    Using a bold touch 9930 os7 leak ver 353
    Hope this helps
    09-06-11 09:40 PM
    Originally I thought it could be encryption related but that I'm not sure if that is the case anymore because I've seen encrypted files behave like this.

The option is located under "Options" -> "Security" ->"Encryption". If "Device Memory" or "Media Card" is checked off for "Encrypt" then encryption is on.
    09-07-11 12:10 AM
    I have nothing checked under encryption & never did
    You mention drm protection in the help section thats why I tried all the different wallpapers
    The app would even reset my wall paper to stock
    I even tried leaving phone on stock red wallpaper & using a different one in the app & using 2 different wallpapers 1 on phone & 1 saved in app & results were the same
    09-07-11 08:44 AM
    I have nothing checked under encryption & never did
    You mention drm protection in the help section thats why I tried all the different wallpapers
    The app would even reset my wall paper to stock
    I even tried leaving phone on stock red wallpaper & using a different one in the app & using 2 different wallpapers 1 on phone & 1 saved in app & results were the same
    Yeah it's very strange, I don't know why OS 7 would have issues all of a sudden. Just wondering, do you have a file called "hsn_wallpaper.png" on your SD card in the BlackBerry folder?
    09-07-11 11:00 AM
    When I plug the phone in as usb drive there are files named
    ahsn_black
    hsn_wallpaper
    scaled wallpaper
    on the phone not on the sd card I installed
    There listed under Blackberry/blackberry not removable drive/blackberry
    09-07-11 12:33 PM
    When I plug the phone in as usb drive there are files named
    ahsn_black
    hsn_wallpaper
    scaled wallpaper
    on the phone not on the sd card I installed
    There listed under Blackberry/blackberry not removable drive/blackberry
    Hmm, does the hsn_wallpaper.png file show a note posted over your wallpaper if you open it?
    09-07-11 02:33 PM
    As a matter of fact it does
    Now that I installed file scout it shows up under the sd card also ?
    09-07-11 03:58 PM
    As a matter of fact it does
    Now that I installed file scout it shows up under the sd card also ?
    It defaults to internal memory if for some reason it can't find your SD card. Are you able to try a debug build? It should pop up a few error messages to give me a general idea of where it might be failing, if it is failing. http://public.cpqsoft.com/notes2/HomeScreenNotes.jad
    09-07-11 10:36 PM
    Down loaded your test app am looking into a couple things
    Am finding that the file system is reading crazy
    Will report back with findings
    09-08-11 07:55 AM
    Ok here is what I found
    1) Computer reads sd card as BLACKBERRY2 & phone memory as removable storage - phone reads memory as sd card & store - was confusing me & may be of no consequence
    2) Getting debug popups - sd card found writing to sd card - write successful - set wall paper sucessfully
    3) App created new hsn file with note on it but still doesn't replace phone wall paper - phone reverts to stock red when note is posted - clearing note reverts phone back to wall paper I had it set to - Am using same wallpaper for note as on phone
    4) hsn file is on sd card with new note (tried it 3 times with 3 different notes)
    5) Note originally created was on a picture now Im using a wall paper so the background isnt the problem its just not posting
    09-08-11 09:16 AM
    Ok here is what I found
    1) Computer reads sd card as BLACKBERRY2 & phone memory as removable storage - phone reads memory as sd card & store - was confusing me & may be of no consequence
    2) Getting debug popups - sd card found writing to sd card - write successful - set wall paper sucessfully
    3) App created new hsn file with note on it but still doesn't replace phone wall paper - phone reverts to stock red when note is posted - clearing note reverts phone back to wall paper I had it set to - Am using same wallpaper for note as on phone
    4) hsn file is on sd card with new note (tried it 3 times with 3 different notes)
    5) Note originally created was on a picture now Im using a wall paper so the background isnt the problem its just not posting
    Hmm very interesting, the only thing I can think of is that it is having trouble reading the hsn file it created but not sure why. You mentioned that when you hit clear note it returns the wallpaper back to normal and that the hsn file shows the note you created when you open it right? I'm going to see if I can make another test version, I think we are narrowing the problem down a little here, thank you.
    09-08-11 10:20 AM
    Yes its creating a hsn_wallpaper file.png with the note on it & I am able to create/edit the note on that file.
    When I try to post the created note it removes the wallpaper I had on the phone but doesn't replace it
    Clearing the note puts my wall paper back
    I have since even tried posting a note with no wall paper in place but still doesn't post
    09-08-11 11:14 AM
    Yes its creating a hsn_wallpaper file.png with the note on it & I am able to create/edit the note on that file.
    When I try to post the created note it removes the wallpaper I had on the phone but doesn't replace it
    Clearing the note puts my wall paper back
    I have since even tried posting a note with no wall paper in place but still doesn't post
    Okay, crossing my fingers on this one, tried a little something different, hoping it works. http://public.cpqsoft.com/notes3/HomeScreenNotes.jad
    09-08-11 04:00 PM
    Tried with the same correct resolution wall paper as before & same result - goes to red & wall paper is on sd card with note in hsn file

Then tried with 2 photos
    1) replaced my wallpaper with photo no note & no note on hsn file
    2) replaced my wallpaper again with no note this time there was a note on photo in hsn file
    When I say replace wall paper it changed it on phone removing the one I had set. I had to go into settings & change it back
    Last edited by tlgemxx; 09-08-11 at 04:49 PM.
    09-08-11 04:46 PM
    Further playing around
    With stock red on phone app does nothing except create the hsn file with note
    With a wall paper on phone and different wallpaper saved in the app it changes the wall paper as if you changed it in settings (no note) and creates the hsn file with note

Now I had to do this hooked up to the computer
    I copied the hsn file with note to the pictures folder & tried to use it as a wall paper & it will not work so looks like the phone doesn't like hsn/png files as wall paper
    09-08-11 06:39 PM
    Further playing around
    With stock red on phone app does nothing except create the hsn file with note
    With a wall paper on phone and different wallpaper saved in the app it changes the wall paper as if you changed it in settings (no note) and creates the hsn file with note

Now I had to do this hooked up to the computer
    I copied the hsn file with note to the pictures folder & tried to use it as a wall paper & it will not work so looks like the phone doesn't like hsn/png files as wall paper
    Hmm very interesting, so when you tried to set the hsn_wallpaper.png file through the operating system (not app) it wouldn't set it at all?

Edit: Instead of encoding to png i tried jpg, hope this works: http://public.cpqsoft.com/notes4/HomeScreenNotes.jad
    Last edited by cpqsoft; 09-08-11 at 09:18 PM.
    09-08-11 08:33 PM
    That did it yeaaaa

Just a note : The wall paper you use in the app sticks when you clear the note - but the note does clear, edit, color change OK

Tried about all the adjustments & color changes & all are working
    Last edited by tlgemxx; 09-08-11 at 10:56 PM.
    09-08-11 09:57 PM
    That did it yeaaaa

Just a note : The wall paper you use in the app sticks when you clear the note - but the note does clear, edit, color change OK

Tried about all the adjustments & color changes & all are working
    Sweet! When you said the image did not open via the OS that pretty much tipped me off. Very good job troubleshooting

PS: Not sure what you mean by "The wall paper you use in the app sticks when you clear the note".
    09-08-11 11:48 PM
    Dude, what about us Os 6 users? Your app is in a desperate need for an update!
    09-09-11 03:38 AM
    What I meant was that if you use a different wall paper in the app than whatever you had on the phone the app wall paper sticks like you had changed it in phone settings didn't know if that was meant to work like that.

I thought the app wall paper was meant to clear with the note - just saying
    Last edited by tlgemxx; 09-09-11 at 07:22 AM.
    09-09-11 07:12 AM
    When I try to create a note I get the 'Beta testing period expired' dialog.
    09-09-11 08:07 AM
    When I try to create a note I get the 'Beta testing period expired' dialog.
    Strange, it's not suppose to expire until the 30th of this month.
    09-09-11 09:28 AM
    Dude, what about us Os 6 users? Your app is in a desperate need for an update!
    The new version just has updated graphics to fit the higher resolution of the new BlackBerry phones. I didn't forget about the OS 6 users The next "feature" release will cover 5.0 and 6.0 as well. It is in the workings so stay tuned.
    09-09-11 09:32 AM
    Strange, it's not suppose to expire until the 30th of this month.
    I have the same issue
    09-09-11 01:36 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD