I do enjoy my storm but what gives on the limited aops and their high price

I have an iTouch and bought Bejeweled for $.99 yet it costs $4.99 for my storm what kind of crap is that?

I don't get the high price and such limited selection of apps.

And yes I understand that BB is for business and apple products are not but we have to have something to do during meetings that doest cost 5 times more than its counterpart on another operating system

Flame away.

Thanks

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-13-09 07:55 AM
    yeah I agree with you...I understand it from RIMs and the developers' point of view but from a consumer standpoint....some of the prices for things are outrageous. Its funny that some will charge more than $3 dollars for an app that has horrible reviews or no reviews at all...or that they would charge $9 and up on something that just came out without even a free trial. Most of us aren't going to just shell out money on something and "hope" it works or "hope" it doesn't crash our phones. After all at the end of the day the phone may look nice and have all these cool apps but its still a phone and should be used as such...if you put something on the phone that takes away that ability to use as a phone...that sucks. Hopefully with more competition in the app land maybe some prices will get better.
    11-13-09 08:04 AM
    The iPhone apps sell like hotcakes thus they can be offered cheaper. Developers probably know they won't sell as many for the blackberry so they increase the price. Just the way it is I guess.
    11-13-09 08:20 AM
    I also agree that the prices are a little steep. I do understand that some apps take a bit of know-how to get working, but with so many causing or amplifying memory leaks or instability of the phone the prices are at times not warranted IMO.
    I, like many of you, will continue to pay what they ask because most are very useful and worth the price (btw - I only have one game on mine - brickbreaker) With the limited choices we have - not to mention app memory on our phones, we have to be picky and choose what actually works for how we use them. I just hate that I paid for several that I can't use because of conflicts or memory drains they cause (apps and themes)
    11-13-09 08:26 AM
    The iPhone apps sell like hotcakes thus they can be offered cheaper. Developers probably know they won't sell as many for the blackberry so they increase the price. Just the way it is I guess.
    Exaclty. It is supply and demand. Storms users aren't as many as iphone users, thus less volume which equals to a greater price
    11-13-09 08:27 AM
    I also agree that the prices are a little steep. I do understand that some apps take a bit of know-how to get working, but with so many causing or amplifying memory leaks or instability of the phone the prices are at times not warranted IMO.
    I, like many of you, will continue to pay what they ask because most are very useful and worth the price (btw - I only have one game on mine - brickbreaker) With the limited choices we have - not to mention app memory on our phones, we have to be picky and choose what actually works for how we use them. I just hate that I paid for several that I can't use because of conflicts or memory drains they cause (apps and themes)
    I noticed the S2 came with a trial game of Sims 3 and Tetris...not sure what the cost is but i deleted them from my phone. I think I have one game of balloon pop.

I usually purchase apps that are for productivity and not fun. And I think most of us BB owners purchase more productivity apps(finance, tasks,messaging etc) over games.
    With the prices we do NEED to be more cautious and selective with purchasing. I love the reviews because that has saved me money and the phone. lol

We got UrbanSpoon for free but then there is the Craiglist app that's coming and I think its $10. And I don't understand why someone would spend that much on an app when you can use it for free. But that's just my opinion...i think what they are offering is great but I don't know if it should cost that much.
    11-13-09 08:34 AM
    I agree with all but why do these lame apps have to cost. Even on today's site:

http://crackberry.com/entertaining-your-blackberry

These things cost $2.99 and up whereas for the iTouch they would be free and usually better. Why bother with trying to pimp these apps out?

I wonder if the Droid will offer "competition" in the BB app world.

sigh

probably not. Just venting here a little bit.

Sorry
    11-13-09 10:43 AM
    Addonis was $15 now down to $10!? Lol.

I know devs want to make some money on the side but not by hammering my wallet like some drunk sailor on a midget prostitute.

11-13-09 11:33 AM
    Oh woe is me! An application that I want to buy costs FIVE WHOLE DOLLARS!! I realize I'm dating myself here, but just six years ago I bought a brand new Palm Tungsten E. Apps for that device started at $25 and went up quickly from there. And you guys are complaining about spending $5. The "I want everything for free and want it now" mentality is getting quite old.

Blackberry apps are a touch more expensive than their iPhone counterparts for two reason.

1) Simple supply and demand (already mentioned).

2) Blackberries are harder to code for due to their security restrictions and somewhat archaic operating platforms. You can't just write an app for the iPhone and the import it straight to a Blackberry. You pretty much have to rewrite the entire application from scratch if you want it to work on Berries. FWIW, Mac users often deal with the same problem - software tends to be more expensive, and comes out later (if at all) than what's available for Windows.
    11-13-09 12:12 PM
    Oh woe is me! An application that I want to buy costs FIVE WHOLE DOLLARS!! I realize I'm dating myself here, but just six years ago I bought a brand new Palm Tungsten E. Apps for that device started at $25 and went up quickly from there. And you guys are complaining about spending $5. The "I want everything for free and want it now" mentality is getting quite old.

Blackberry apps are a touch more expensive than their iPhone counterparts for two reason.

1) Simple supply and demand (already mentioned).

2) Blackberries are harder to code for due to their security restrictions and somewhat archaic operating platforms. You can't just write an app for the iPhone and the import it straight to a Blackberry. You pretty much have to rewrite the entire application from scratch if you want it to work on Berries. FWIW, Mac users often deal with the same problem - software tends to be more expensive, and comes out later (if at all) than what's available for Windows.
    one word...Relax
    11-13-09 01:04 PM
    And you guys are complaining about spending $5. The "I want everything for free and want it now" mentality is getting quite old.
    Noted, and I dont expect everything (or anything) for free. I would just like some decent apps at what seems to be a good price that works and wont lock up my system.

Take for instance Labyrinth. I have it on my iTouch and went ahead and bought it and love it. Thought it would be neat for my Storm and almost pulled the trigger. Went ahead and downloaded the "Lite" version first and glad I did. It runs like @ss compared to the iTouch.

I love my Storm and understand it isnt a gaming device, but come on, things should run at least as well if the app is the same.

Oh well. I just want equity for all. Kinda like world peace or me winning the lottery. Some things I just have to accept that will never happen
    11-13-09 01:20 PM
    I've been thinking about it tossing up and down which direction to go. It's time to replace my beloved 8130. Tour? S2? S1? Droid? I don't think BB is ever going to have the wide range of function that the iphone has. OpenGL and Flash? I bet only a select few of BB's can run it and even then, it'll probably be right on the edge of it's capabilities. BB handles push email the best with security. The Droid/Eris and it's issues/complexities with email; active sync etc, etc gives me a headache. Just work out the box already! I think I'll stick with a BB knowing what it can do and just get an iPod touch knowing that it does what it was made to do well without having to worry about if I have enough horses under the hood to run something I want or may want in the future. I think if RIM really wanted a device to handle it all, they would have produced one by now. I'm tired of trying to guess what RIM is going to do. The new Curve, Storms, Bold, and Tours; are they all that much different in terms of capabilities? I don't think so? It feels like we have a choice between a Mustang, Camero, and a Vette but they all have a similar 4 banger under the hood. WTF!

I think RIM is happy with their core biz while the continue to break crumbs in the water for the rest of us to see if we'll keep biting. If RIM wanted to give us a kick-@ss all-in-one device, wouldn't they know how to do so? I'm sorry, I'm just venting. I love da Berry and wish they'll step up their game so everyone would say dang, I want a Blackberry. I don't want to worry about memory limits (with in reason) daily battery pulls, apps that kills my free file memory/leaks. It has to be better than that. Good day everyone!
    11-13-09 02:19 PM
    its easy, BB developers have the mindset that since its a Blackberry then the users have more money to spend. Bunch of ******* if you as me but I doubt anything will change until people just stop buying
    11-13-09 02:30 PM
    Not only are the apps expensive, but typically they have tons of bugs in them.
    11-13-09 02:32 PM
    still think it's funny the new craigslist app is going to be 5$
    11-13-09 05:47 PM
    Exaclty. It is supply and demand. Storms users aren't as many as iphone users, thus less volume which equals to a greater price
    It's nothing to do with supply and demand. It has everything to do with RIM's neanderthal attitude to software. First, Blackberry as a platform is not quite standardized, so in some cases different phones need different software. Second, RIM charges developers substantial fees to host on their store, while Apple/Android do not. Third, the developer tools on the Blackberry platform aren't very good, thereby loading a lot of extra effort on the programmer.

So you're paying for a bunch of developer labor with a bit of extra RIM fee harassment thrown in.

If it were down to supply and demand, there would not be a problem with as many Blackberry users as there are. Despite the horrible software environment, people keep coming back for the great email service.
    11-13-09 11:38 PM
    Despite the horrible software environment, people keep coming back for the great email service.
    Great email service? The only email I get instantly is my Gmail. My work email has a 15 minute delay, maybe the dumbest thing I have ever encountered on a smartphone. With the dreaded Windows Mobile and a iPod touch, I get mail instantly and can sync my calendar OTA, something I can't do with my curve. I like a lot of things about my BB, but the email and calendars are not one of them. And back to the expensive apps, I have only bought 1 (quicklaunch) and won't buy another unless it's really good and under $5.
    11-14-09 07:42 AM
    still think it's funny the new craigslist app is going to be 5$
    HAHAHA! Really???
    11-14-09 07:46 AM
    Yes these apps are expensive, but I believe the problem lies with the greed of developers - I understand that devs will probably sell more on iphone than blackberry - so they should understand and accept that too, not try to make the same amount on each platform - if there are more Xbox's being sold than playstations, I should understand that the same game for xbox will make more than its' playstation counterpart simply based on volume . . . . But it's all my own opinion. . . (For the record Quicklaunch is the only app I've seen worth purchasing, so I did)

11-14-09 08:22 AM
    Second, RIM charges developers substantial fees to host on their store, while Apple/Android do not.
    May I step in here Just to present a developer point of view

Probably you don't know, but BlackBerry App World have a minimum price limit, i.e. you CANNOT sell an application under 2.99 USD So far with the 0.99 apps Moreover you have to pay for every application submit 20 USD... wait, this is valid for application upgrades too. So if I upgrade my application constantly (lets say once a week) to implement new features or to fix bugs, I have to pay 20 USD every time. Not much you will say, but it is added to the price of the application... And the sad thing is that you have to pay the same fee even for a free applications That's why I personally prefer to stick with the CrackBerry/Mobihand.

I do agree that there are too many bad written and expensive applications out there, but I believe that the market is moving to the right direction and in an year or so we will have the same as iPhone - cheap and good applications.

Just my 2 cents
    11-14-09 03:11 PM
    Do you REALLY need a video game on your phone, when you're supposed to be working, anyway?

people these days... It's all about instant self-gratification. They all forget that IT TAKES A LOT to produce something for the masses; for some, it's their life's work. For some, it puts food on the table and a roof over their/their loved ones heads.

They cost quite a bit, yes. Yes, it's a downfall to you, but if you think about it, IT'S A PHONE. If you want to play a game, take that $5 and invest in online gaming (I personally use worldwinner.com)

...just sayin'. Priorities are at risk with this new generation of people...
    11-14-09 11:07 PM
    Do you REALLY need a video game on your phone, when you're supposed to be working, anyway?
    Umm...yeah. How is one to get through all the meetings.

We must all pray to our BB
    11-16-09 08:37 AM
    I know devs want to make some money on the side but not by hammering my wallet like some drunk sailor on a midget prostitute.
    OMG, funny.

I always chalked up the high price of apps to the fact the a BB is mainly a business device. Im sure dev's would sell more apps if the prices came down.

The $5 price point sounds just about right to me, and until most apps drop in price then they will not be bought by me,
    11-16-09 10:26 AM
    May I step in here Just to present a developer point of view

Probably you don't know, but BlackBerry App World have a minimum price limit, i.e. you CANNOT sell an application under 2.99 USD So far with the 0.99 apps Moreover you have to pay for every application submit 20 USD... wait, this is valid for application upgrades too. So if I upgrade my application constantly (lets say once a week) to implement new features or to fix bugs, I have to pay 20 USD every time. Not much you will say, but it is added to the price of the application... And the sad thing is that you have to pay the same fee even for a free applications That's why I personally prefer to stick with the CrackBerry/Mobihand.

I do agree that there are too many bad written and expensive applications out there, but I believe that the market is moving to the right direction and in an year or so we will have the same as iPhone - cheap and good applications.

Just my 2 cents
    WOW, no I did not realize you had to pay $20 just to update/upgrade your app. Even for free apps??? What a rip-off. I can see why dev's flock to iPhone and Android instead of BB.
    11-16-09 10:29 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD