To all of you people that build FREE apps to share with the world, or to the people who write apps that give us an alternative to the PAY apps,
    Thank you VERY much!!!
    We really appreciate you and what you do. Blackberry users, if you are in a position to donate PLEASE do, because these are the ONLY ones I believe that are entitled to making a little money. Its one thing to demand a fee, but to say here, its free. That earns 100% of my respect! Thank you again guys
    03-18-09 02:32 PM
    I heard that. Thanks guys.
    03-18-09 02:35 PM
    +1. Free apps are what will save this phone in the long run!
    03-18-09 02:44 PM
    Listen you yourselfs =/

You're pretty much saying you only respect developers who give away free apps. Well I'm sorry to say this, but if developers aren't making money off of it, then what's the point of coding?

I mean granted little apps that take little time to develop should be free. But if you create a game and it takes 50+ hours to create, and you're not going to make any money off of it, where is the motivation?

I provide both free and paid apps, and what I noticed is people don't donate. It's probably < 1% overall who donated.

While it's great to get stuff for free, you have to also think about us developers. That's like going to an auto center and telling the mechanic hey you do great work, but I don't respect you because you charged me. I only respect mechanics who work on my car for free.
    03-18-09 03:00 PM
    Listen you yourselfs =/

You're pretty much saying you only respect developers who give away free apps. Well I'm sorry to say this, but if developers aren't making money off of it, then what's the point of coding?

I mean granted little apps that take little time to develop should be free. But if you create a game and it takes 50+ hours to create, and you're not going to make any money off of it, where is the motivation?

I provide both free and paid apps, and what I noticed is people don't donate. It's probably < 1% overall who donated.

While it's great to get stuff for free, you have to also think about us developers. That's like going to an auto center and telling the mechanic hey you do great work, but I don't respect you because you charged me. I only respect mechanics who work on my car for free.
    ok lets use that analogy my friend
    shop mechanic who charges to fix your car, or
    a friend who fixes for you to help you out and will allow donations if satisfied.

I appreciate/respect the friend MORE

How about another one...
    Lets say you need help with an issue on your storm.
    Pay some guy for help, OR
    Crackberry.com

I appreciate/respect CRACKBERRY more

Maybe if people are not donating money, then there not satisfied with the apps, Im not taking a shot at you, but seriously (as far as Im concerned) I respect people who take the time to offer something they created for free more then someone who expects something in return. Instead of making money some just do it for respect, appretiation, or pride. To those guys, THANK YOU, thats all im saying
    03-18-09 03:07 PM
    ok lets use that analogy my friend
    shop mechanic who charges to fix your car, or
    a friend who fixes for you to help you out and will allow donations if satisfied.

I appreciate/respect the friend MORE

How about another one...
    Lets say you need help with an issue on your storm.
    Pay some guy for help, OR
    Crackberry.com

I appreciate/respect CRACKBERRY more

Maybe if people are not donating money, then there not satisfied with the apps, Im not taking a shot at you, but seriously (as far as Im concerned) I respect people who take the time to offer something they created for free more then someone who expects something in return. Instead of making money some just do it for respect, appretiation, or pride. To those guys, THANK YOU, thats all im saying
    That's why our economy is in the tank lol. No one wants to pay for anything anymore.

I get what you're saying, but it's not always do-able. I site in front of my desk for 10-15 hours a day and just write code all day long. I get 50+ support emails every day which I answer usually within 5 min. I then go back to coding so blackberry users will have something fun / useful to do on their phones. After the program is completed, I usually spend 10+ hours debugging it / testing it talking to the beta testers to see what they liked etc. After all that I put the game up for sale. When a user wants to see something added / removed I go back to the game reprogram that section and upload an update free of charge.

I do all of this for 2.99$. That's less then a BicMac meal at McDonalds. With all that said and done you respect someone who just creates a simple app changes no fee and then usually ends up not supporting the app or fixing bugs etc?
    03-18-09 03:15 PM
    That's why our economy is in the tank lol. No one wants to pay for anything anymore.

I get what you're saying, but it's not always do-able. I site in front of my desk for 10-15 hours a day and just write code all day long. I get 50+ support emails every day which I answer usually within 5 min. I then go back to coding so blackberry users will have something fun / useful to do on their phones. After the program is completed, I usually spend 10+ hours debugging it / testing it talking to the beta testers to see what they liked etc. After all that I put the game up for sale. When a user wants to see something added / removed I go back to the game reprogram that section and upload an update free of charge.

I do all of this for 2.99$. That's less then a BicMac meal at McDonalds. With all that said and done you respect someone who just creates a simple app changes no fee and then usually ends up not supporting the app or fixing bugs etc?
    The economy is in trouble because of bad leadership, don't even get me started on my anti-government (or at least the one we have now) views
    If this doenst help then lets just agree to dissagree instead of think each other are wrong. Maybe not you, but alot of developers are fee happy.

Yahoo messenger = free
    Myspace = free
    AIM = free
    Slacker = free
    the funnest game Ive played, kinda lame, but free (that maze game with the marble)
    download music/movies/games/software = free (if your smart)
    youtube = free

Quote "all the best things in life are free"

Maybe I'm a freeloader, but theres nothing wrong with enjoying the things in life that are given, and how can I afford to pay for every game i want when im already paying 140$ for only 900 minutes.

All Im saying is THANK YOU for the people who go thru what you go thru, and don't demand something in return. Its nice of them to do so and I believe they (at the least) Deserve a thank you

P.S. Thank you to for all you do, I just personally wont be using anything you develope for a fee, and there are 1000's of us out here.
    03-18-09 03:28 PM
    I appreciate the developers like DMG who provide the beta versions of their apps for free, then offer a free trial on the finished app so you can decide if you want to purchase the finished app. I don't mind supporting developers who choose to offer a free trial and an app price of $2.99 if you want to buy the full version. I have already purchased a few finished apps that were $2.99 or less and will purchase even more in the future, especially if RIM decides to let us run apps from the SD card.
    03-18-09 03:39 PM
    Thank The Both OF Them .
    And F. RIM & BB for Not Having A App Store OPEN Yet .
    03-18-09 04:03 PM
    I never said I don't respect developers who charge for their apps. Personally, I bought StormSlots and StormYahtzee and I think they're great. All I'm saying is, I really appreciate the free ones.
    03-18-09 04:19 PM
    if you want good guilty apps and support ill pay the free are fun.
    03-18-09 04:48 PM
    Yahoo messenger, Myspace, YouTube, and AIM are applications coming from multi-million dollar companies. They choose to provide these services for free and make money in other ways such as advertising.

Downnloading music/movies/games/software for free (if your smart) is illigal and something you make the choice of doing. Its not provided by the movie, record, game, or software companies.

I'm sure if your boss asked you to put in an extra 20 hours a week, and he would really appreciate it, but wouldn't pay you for your time you may see things differently. Its up to the developer if they create free or paid applications. If developing applications is the way they pay the bills and support their families, it would be ridiculous to believe that the person should provide free goods.
    Last edited by mistamista2000; 03-18-09 at 05:23 PM.
    03-18-09 05:20 PM
    You hit the nail on the head mistamista.

I rely on selling programs to buy food, pay bills etc. I still manage to provide users with a bunch of free apps at the same time. I don't think I overcharge or anything like that. I'm not doing it to make millions, I'm content selling it for 2.99$ and making enough to eat and pay my bills.

If you guys don't want to pay for the software, that's up to you. I wouldn't expect to see to many great apps for free though.
    03-18-09 05:46 PM
    Honestly "Thank You" to all of you building apps right now whether you have to pay for them or they're free because there really isn't a heck of alot to choose from !

Really DMG $2.99 isn't really paying for it in my mind, **** I'm sure we have more than that in our couches right now lol. So thanks for making great apps with great prices to go with them !

I was very impressed with Storm Slots and thought what a killer deal it was not only for all of us to buy but for you to market to a bunch of "Starving for apps" Storm users. That's the American Spirit !
    03-18-09 08:51 PM
    nothing good comes free
    03-18-09 10:07 PM
    Crackberry.com wouldn't be here if it weren't for the crackberry store paying the bills to keep this site alive.
    03-18-09 10:57 PM
    The economy is in trouble because of bad leadership, don't even get me started on my anti-government (or at least the one we have now) views
    If this doenst help then lets just agree to dissagree instead of think each other are wrong. Maybe not you, but alot of developers are fee happy.

Yahoo messenger = free
    Myspace = free
    AIM = free
    Slacker = free
    the funnest game Ive played, kinda lame, but free (that maze game with the marble)
    youtube = free

Maybe I'm a freeloader, but theres nothing wrong with enjoying the things in life that are given, and how can I afford to pay for every game i want when im already paying 140$ for only 900 minutes.

All Im saying is THANK YOU for the people who go thru what you go thru, and don't demand something in return. Its nice of them to do so and I believe they (at the least) Deserve a thank you

P.S. Thank you to for all you do, I just personally wont be using anything you develope for a fee, and there are 1000's of us out here.
    Freeloader. Even iPhone applications are not all free.
    03-18-09 11:01 PM
    DMG is 100% right, people do not donate. My apps may be simple, but my TWSS app spent many hours of re-coding sounds to keep the app from being 10MB, then tons of coding to do the randomizations and the gestures, etc. i spent many hours on all of my apps. i checked my web server today and i cant believe i have had over 40,000 OTA installations of all my apps combined! i couldnt believe it.

whats even more unbelievable though, is that i have had 40,000 installations and have earned under $100 in donations. i think i am at $80, and thats only cause 1 guy donated $20, one guy $10 and another donated $5 twice. and i dont think its just that they think they suck cause i have gotten hundreds of thank you pm's, emails, feedbacks, etc saying how much they like the apps. so

40,000 downloads, 20 donators totaling $85. thats 0.05% (thats 5 hundreds of a percent) donations to download ratios. this cant be right, but i calculated that i have earned less than one cent per installation. (edit its right, sad)

thats far lower than the theme donations of 1.5% the one guy posted.

so i am not complaining. i could stop making apps, but i do it cause its fun. but if i make a larger app as dmg eventually did, i am going to charge for it cause i have learned from this experience that people dont donate. all the sites linking to our ota installs and not our sites doesnt help either. so anyways, dmg is right on.
    03-18-09 11:04 PM
    Mike, DMG, and everyone else, keep doing what you do. Build something I like and i'll buy it.

The self entitlement in the world today is absolutely astounding. I can't even begin to wrap my head around the thought process of someone who feels they should get free apps, music, movies, etc...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-19-09 12:36 AM

Yahoo messenger = free
    Myspace = free
    AIM = free
    Slacker = free
    youtube = free

just so we're clear u listed a bunch of apps that come from LARGE companies that charge other companies to post ads all over there stuff. and here's another quote for u... "nothing in life is free" ur paying somewhere whether u know it or not. but since u think everything in life should be free i think u should go to work tomorrow and tell them u no longer need to be paid cuz u dont mind working for free... i think thats only fair... dont u?!?!
    03-19-09 12:48 AM
    To all of you people that build FREE apps to share with the world, or to the people who write apps that give us an alternative to the PAY apps,
    Thank you VERY much!!!
    We really appreciate you and what you do. Blackberry users, if you are in a position to donate PLEASE do, because these are the ONLY ones I believe that are entitled to making a little money. Its one thing to demand a fee, but to say here, its free. That earns 100% of my respect! Thank you again guys
    I posted a thread a couple of weeks ago thanking the developers and it got deleted

But Well Thank you developers for all your great apps and themes
    03-19-09 12:55 AM
    lol on the concept of donations. i think ppl who feel strongly about not paying for pay apps should definitely start making apps and post about their experience. I dont even know why i still release non-beta free apps but it definitely does eat up into "pay app" development time. but maybe its just me cus according to what mike240 posted, the crackberry community have expressed that im just half the coder he is as far as donations given to me by non-developers go so back to capitalism. ill leave the free apps to the pros
    Last edited by phrehnck; 03-19-09 at 02:00 AM.
    03-19-09 01:29 AM
    lol on the concept of donations. i think ppl who feel strongly about not paying for pay apps should definitely start making apps and post about their experience. I dont even know why i still release non-beta free apps but it definitely does eat up into "pay app" development time. but maybe its just me cus according to what mike240 posted, the crackberry community have expressed that im just half the coder he is as far as donations given to me by non-developers go so back to capitalism. ill leave the free apps to the pros
    i think i just begged for it more. i got most of my donations when i was collecting for my rim signing keys, i think people figure it will give them more free apps, so it was worth it

funny thing is, i think theme developers are earning far more in donations than program developers. and not to take anything away from theme developement cause its also work, but i have done themes in the past, and for me, its alot less work than developing an app in my opinion. but people dont mind paying $7 for a theme, but flip out when someone charges $2.95 for an app. some theme guys have done them in 3 hours, and then charge $7 (by their own admissions) but app developers could spend 50-100 hours easy on an app and people complain about $2.95.
    03-19-09 02:06 AM
    I want to thank everyone paying for my applications and the 2 guys who donated. I will continue to write free and paid apps because the crackberry community thanks me for that. Thank you all.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-19-09 03:48 AM

Yahoo messenger = free
    Myspace = free
    AIM = free
    Slacker = free
    youtube = free

Personally the most naive comment i've seen upto date.

I'm sure if your boss asked you to put in an extra 20 hours a week, and he would really appreciate it, but wouldn't pay you for your time you may see things differently. Its up to the developer if they create free or paid applications. If developing applications is the way they pay the bills and support their families, it would be ridiculous to believe that the person should provide free goods.
    Hit the nail on the head. This thread turned pretty pointless from the begining.
    03-19-09 04:14 AM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD