I just got my S2 and the memory has been SOLID at 131MB for more than three days. I remember casual browsing in App World on my S1 would make memory mysteriously disappear, never to return again (aside from a device wipe).

Now with my past experience with App World I don't want to mess up my new device and have to wipe once a week. So my question is: am I being paranoid and is it all in my head? Will my memory vanish, or does this not happen on the S2? Please let me know your experience.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-27-10 09:24 AM
    1. Memory management in the S2 is much improved.

2. However, AppWorld sucks anyway and I don't have it on my phone either. You can find almost all the same apps from other sources and not have to download AppWorld to get them.
    02-27-10 09:27 AM
    1. Memory management in the S2 is much improved.

2. However, AppWorld sucks anyway and I don't have it on my phone either. You can find almost all the same apps from other sources and not have to download AppWorld to get them.

Very true on your second point, but App World puts them conveniently in one place so it would be nice to use.

02-27-10 09:40 AM
    Like stated I'm without app world I had some memory issues and choose to do away with it
    02-27-10 09:45 AM
    I had App World on my S2. Memory was always around high 120's to low 130's. I would not be afraid to load it.
    02-27-10 10:08 AM
    I use app world all the time with no problems. To answer your question, yes you are being paranoid.
    02-27-10 10:22 AM
    I just got my S2 and the memory has been SOLID at 131MB for more than three days. I remember casual browsing in App World on my S1 would make memory mysteriously disappear, never to return again (aside from a device wipe).

Now with my past experience with App World I don't want to mess up my new device and have to wipe once a week. So my question is: am I being paranoid and is it all in my head? Will my memory vanish, or does this not happen on the S2? Please let me know your experience.

Stick with mobihand way better than app world
    02-27-10 10:28 AM
    App world runs fine on the S2....when I had it on my 8330 it was a PIA. You'll be fine, enjoy the phone.
    02-27-10 10:29 AM
    I had the same problem with my Storm 1. Now with my Storm2, App World doesn't seem to affect my memory at all.

As a side note, App World does not have all the apps that are available. The other sources have quite a bit of other options. Also, sometimes the same apps that are on App World are cheaper from the other sources.
    02-27-10 10:33 AM
    My wife and I both have App World and have had no trouble with our S2's. Memory is around 117 on both our phones, consistently.
    02-27-10 11:27 AM
    Don't worry so much about memory. I have 79 apps on my S2 and boot with about 60 MB and you won't see any difference in performance on my device than yours. You paid good money for the extra app memory - use it. You don't benefit by having it sit there unused.

02-27-10 01:26 PM
    Don't worry so much about memory. I have 79 apps on my S2 and boot with about 60 MB and you won't see any difference in performance on my device than yours. You paid good money for the extra app memory - use it. You don't benefit by having it sit there unused.

+1 Use that memory! I have like 45 apps installed and sit at around 100mb.
    02-27-10 01:37 PM
    I have yet to see any app on my S2 that drained my memory to zero. in the old days memory that wouldn't return I needed to clear the databases with DM from what was left over from uninstalled apps etc..
    02-27-10 02:03 PM
    My memory sits around 85 to 90. Here are the non-factory apps or shortcuts I have on my 9550:

yankees.com
    slacker radio
    weatherbug
    berryreporter.com
    espn.com
    bing
    scoremobile
    poynt
    iheartradio
    ap news
    quickpull
    opera mini 5 beta 2
    crackberry app
    app world
    google maps
    you tube
    facebook
    app store

I don't \leave any app running unless I am using it. Why would my memory be so low?
    02-27-10 02:36 PM
    Memory is not a problem...
    02-27-10 02:48 PM
    Sweet. Thanks folks.

Its hard to go back on over a year of knowledge I have gained about the S1 and be more worry free.

02-27-10 03:14 PM
    Haha, I still wipe my S2 when I've used AppWorld. Old habit from my 8130 lol

02-28-10 04:26 PM
    My memory sits around 85 to 90. Here are the non-factory apps or shortcuts I have on my 9550:

yankees.com
    slacker radio
    weatherbug
    berryreporter.com
    espn.com
    bing
    scoremobile
    poynt
    iheartradio
    ap news
    quickpull
    opera mini 5 beta 2
    crackberry app
    app world
    google maps
    you tube
    facebook
    app store

I don't \leave any app running unless I am using it. Why would my memory be so low?

I wonder what makes your memory about 32MB less than mine? quickpull, perhaps?
    02-28-10 04:29 PM
    paranoia can hit even the best of us sometimes.
    App World is fine. Go ahead and download it.
    02-28-10 06:28 PM
    Well I DLed and have been browsing around....it has definitely grown from the original 700+KB into the multi-MB territory but seems to be leveled off now. (not including the alps I DLed)

Really nice to have all the extra apps that would have choked my S1 and made it leak all over the table.

I now have so many, my QL home page is no longer a short list of apps but folders where they are all organized....may I went overboard?

Oh well, lovin the new S2! Best money I never spent ...LOL.

Last edited by gkl; 02-28-10 at 07:39 PM.
    02-28-10 07:37 PM
    I'm having the "disappearing app world issue" now. freak!
    02-28-10 07:58 PM
    Well I DLed and have been browsing around....it has definitely grown from the original 700+KB into the multi-MB territory but seems to be leveled off now. (not including the alps I DLed)

Really nice to have all the extra apps that would have choked my S1 and made it leak all over the table.

I now have so many, my QL home page is no longer a short list of apps but folders where they are all organized....may I went overboard?

Oh well, lovin the new S2! Best money I never spent ...LOL.
    That is almost always the best thing you can do...test it out on your phone and see how it goes.
    Last edited by Erick09; 02-28-10 at 10:12 PM.
    02-28-10 10:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD