Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,806 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Help with NFCLauncher!

I'm seriously struggling with getting any tags to work for me. I have some NFC tags and I have NFCLauncher and ShortcutMe. The problem is I don't really know how to use either of these.

I want to toggle my bluetooth on when I tap a tag. Can someone help me accomplish this or at least point me in the correct direction.

Thanks!
    www.gbv.asia

"Bridging the Gap" between your Company and Asia
    -Global Business Ventures - Proud supporters of all things BlackBerry
    CrackBerry Genius

If you just want to toggle Bluetooth do the followings:

1- Make sure NFC is on in Manage Connections

2- Make sure the BB's screen backlight is on

3- Open NFCShortcuts. (If you haven't clicked on 'Set App Permissions' botton, click it).

4- Tap an NFC tag (A window should pop up asking if you want to assign that tag to something. Click on Yes. A Setup page will open.

5- Set 'Launch' to NFCL_Toggler

6- Set 'Parameter' to 4 if you have Mobile Hotspot in BB's Manage Connections. Set 'Parameter' to 3 otherwise.

7- Click on ESC key and say Yes to save.

8- Close NFCShortcuts.

9- Tap the NFC Tag and it should toggle Bluetooth.

If you want to do more than just toggling Bluetooth see this short movie as an introductory lesson:

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ap1-ZRrXbTM[/YT]
    BB10: EmailforGoogleGmail, HUB & BBM Connected, NFC Enabled, Native App for Z10
    BB10: MyProfilesPro, ShortcutMe 10, BBM Connected, NFC Enabled, Native Apps for Z10
    BBOS 4+: ShortcutMe, (on sale, %40 off) The Ultimate Shortcut application for BlackBerry
    BBOS 7+: NFCShortcuts, Tap a NFC tag to launch an app, a task, or your macro shortcut in Shortcutme
    BBOS 5+: MyOwnHotKeys, Override default hotkeys and create your own hotkeys
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,806 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

I followed those instructions and when I go to tap my tag after I finish I get a message on my phone saying "The tag is blank or not recognized"

Any ideas why?

Let me add that when I'm in the app and I tap the tag, it scans it properly and opens up the correct stored tag.

Side note, I have never done any NFC setup or anything on my phone. Do I have to do something first to make this work? All I did was install NFCLauncher and tap a tag to set it up.

I am using a Bold 9930 with a leaked 7.1.0.340 loaded on it.
    Last edited by anastasiophan; 05-09-2012 at 10:25 PM.
    www.gbv.asia

CrackBerry Genius

No, you don't need to do anything else in BB OS.

1- What version of NFCShortcuts do you run?

2- When you open the app, do you see NFCShortcuts or NFCLauncher in the title of the main page? (NFCLauncher is replaced with NFCShortcuts a while ago)

3- Open NFCShortcuts, hit "Write to Tag" button, hit "Write NFCL Data to a tag" button and then tap the NFC Tag that doesn't work. Does this fix the problem?
    BB10: MyProfilesPro, ShortcutMe 10, BBM Connected, NFC Enabled, Native Apps for Z10
    BBOS 4+: ShortcutMe, (on sale, %40 off) The Ultimate Shortcut application for BlackBerry
    BBOS 7+: NFCShortcuts, Tap a NFC tag to launch an app, a task, or your macro shortcut in Shortcutme
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,806 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

1) 1.4.4.0
    2) NFCShortcuts
    3) No. I've done this a few times and it never does anything. It vibrates, but nothing else and the tag still doesn't work.
    www.gbv.asia

CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,806 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

Bumping to the top because I still can't get this to work!
    www.gbv.asia

CrackBerry Genius

Where did you buy your tags from? Do you have a link to the page where those tags can be bought.
    I have a user who has similar issue. I have contacted the tag store he has boguht his tags from to find out what is different on those tags and how NFCShortcuts can be changed to also work with those tags.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,806 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

10pcs NFC tags, PVC Rfid label/sticker/tag 3M glue 13.56Mhz ISO14443A Mifare 1K | eBay

They were from eBay, so it could be that the tags are garbage.... Like I said though, the NFCLauncher app definitely recognizes the tag when they are scanned with the app open, but the phone doesn't recognize a written tag when the app is not open.

Are there any specific tags that you recommend?
    www.gbv.asia

CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by anastasiophan View Post
    10pcs NFC tags, PVC Rfid label/sticker/tag 3M glue 13.56Mhz ISO14443A Mifare 1K | eBay

They were from eBay, so it could be that the tags are garbage.... Like I said though, the NFCLauncher app definitely recognizes the tag when they are scanned with the app open, but the phone doesn't recognize a written tag when the app is not open.

Are there any specific tags that you recommend?
    Those tags are Mifare Classic.
    BB OS (currently) doesn't support Mifare Classic. Even if the BB vibrates, it doesn't mean that the BB OS can read the tag properly and notify apps about the new tag.

You need to buy Mifare Ultralight, or Mifare Ultralight C.
    Those two types of tags are supported by BB OS and therefore by NFCShortcuts.

Sorry for that. I know the tags are not cheap and you are going to loose money on this.
    But unfortunately, I can't do anything in the NFCShortcuts to compensate for this OS shortcumming.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,806 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

Quote Originally Posted by Vijik View Post
    Those tags are Mifare Classic.
    BB OS (currently) doesn't support Mifare Classic. Even if the BB vibrates, it doesn't mean that the BB OS can read the tag properly and notify apps about the new tag.

You need to buy Mifare Ultralight, or Mifare Ultralight C.
    Those two types of tags are supported by BB OS and therefore by NFCShortcuts.

Sorry for that. I know the tags are not cheap and you are going to loose money on this.
    But unfortunately, I can't do anything in the NFCShortcuts to compensate for this OS shortcumming.
    Great, at least I know the cause. Thanks.

Do you have any suggestions on where I should buy a 10 pack? I don't wanna make the same mistake again.
    www.gbv.asia

CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    929 Global Posts

I bought mine from NFC Tags, NFC Stickers, NFC Marketing Products, NFC Readers and NFC Software | BUYNFCTAGS.COM
    I bought a variety of sizes and they all work equally as well for me. From the large business card sized down to the small circles
    Thanked by:
    Vijik (05-15-2012) 
    CrackBerry Genius

In addition to the link Juggalo20 sent, see also
    Good place to buy NFC Stickers?

Stay away from Mifare Classic or any card names as Mifare 1K.
    Mifare Ultralight and Mifare Ultralight C tags are tested and should work.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    669 Global Posts

Default Re: Help with NFCLauncher!

Wow i just purchased 10 min ago these:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1708965161...84.m1439.l2649
    so it will not work on my 9900?
    9630 > 9700 > 9800 + PB > 9810 + PB > 8700 + PB > 9900 + PB > iPhone 4s + iPad 2 > iPhone 5 + iPad 2 > iPhone 5S + iPad 2
    CrackBerry Newbie

No, they won't work with BB9900. I just received mine from the same seller, hope I can get my money back.
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by sgpika View Post
    Wow i just purchased 10 min ago these:
    10PCS NFC Tag Sticker Label Mifare1k S50 RFID 13.56MHz ISO14443A | eBay
    so it will not work on my 9900?
    As pcnx has confirmed they are not good for BBs.

Mifare 1K and Mifare 4K are usually Mifare Classic tags.
    BB OS (until now) doesn't support reading Mifare Classic (non standard and proprietary to NXP).