I'm hoping for some guidance on how I can figure out why my Application Memory usage is so high immediately following a reboot. I find that I have slightly less than 12 MB free after reboot. Checking what is running at start up (by holding down the BB button for a few seconds) the only additional program running appears to be the "Where's my phone pro" app. I did some searching here but really didn't find anything helpful for my situation. Can anyone provide me with any guidance? It would be greatly appreciated. I'm currently running OS version 5.0.0.328 (508). Thanks!

Erik
    05-20-10 05:25 PM
    Do you mean during your normal usage it drops to below 12 but on a battery pull it starts back there? Memory is just reused on the Storm. When you turn your phone off, it isn't really entirely off but merely in a standby kind of mode. Pulling the battery or a full reboot is like a real restart, one that clears up any of the "leftover" memory, if that makes sense.

I'm not exactly sure what your issue is, but if you'd like further clarification we can try to help.
    05-21-10 07:43 AM
    List all the applications and themes you have installed. Most application will use app memory eventhough they do not appear to be running when you hold down the BB key.

I'm not familiar with Where's my phone. It may be eating up memory if it's always running.
    05-21-10 07:57 AM
    Do you mean during your normal usage it drops to below 12 but on a battery pull it starts back there?
    Sorry for the confusion. After doing a battery pull (via QuickPull) there is only 12 MB of memory available. Seems really low for the number of programs that appear to be running at startup.

List all the applications and themes you have installed. Most application will use app memory even though they do not appear to be running when you hold down the BB key.

I'm not familiar with Where's my phone. It may be eating up memory if it's always running.
    "Where's my phone" is program to help locate the phone when lost. It appears to monitor SMS and emails looking for a particular subject to come which then triggers a bunch of alarms and other capabilities. Pretty sure it must start at reboot to do this. Could you tell me the best way to find the themes and applications that are installed? Do I just go through Options->Applications and list out everything under each type (Core, Add-on & Third party)

Thanks!
    05-21-10 09:25 AM
    Start by listing what you see under Third party. These are the apps you have downloaded. Also, how many themes do you have installed?
    05-21-10 11:49 AM
    3rd party apps:

BerryBuzz
    Bing
    CBSNFLSportsStorm
    edocrab
    Google Maps
    OpenTable
    Pandora
    QuickPull
    Skype Mobile
    songid
    Wheres My Phone Pro
    QuickPullLib

As far as themes, I haven't installed any others I'm aware of. If I look under themes the only one I see listed is Precision Zen.

Thanks!
    05-21-10 12:15 PM
    What OS are you running?

Wheres My Phone Pro, BerryBuzz and Quickpull all run in the background and will use additional Application Memory - not sure about some of the others. But even not running application can take-up Application Memory (try downloading CardStar).

Backup your applications using BBSAK, and setting with DM. Then either try a wipe and clean install of an OS, or delete applications one at a time and see how they affect your memory.

I've seen post where folks have had 25 or more application installed at one time... personally I have never been able to "install" more than 12, and be able to run a few at once without the low memory warning popping up. RIM should never have allowed multitasking on the S1.

What I have:
    OS - 9530/9500 - .692 Hybrid (419/484-Based) [by lyricidal]
    Currently Application Memory - (just after a battery pull) - 42.1 MB

3rd Party Applications:
    Gmail
    Google Mobile
    Google Search
    Google Maps
    Poynt
    Quickpull
    Garmin Mobile
    Slacker
    Bolt
    Last edited by Dunt Dunt Dunt; 05-22-10 at 11:54 AM.
    05-22-10 11:51 AM
    What OS are you running?
    He said in his first post he is running the official os 5.0. . .328.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-23-10 06:36 AM
    in google maps, go to 'help' then 'reset google maps' and see what you gain by doing that.

Also how much email, sms/mms and such do you have on the phone
    05-23-10 06:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD