Looking for some expert help, here�s the rundown:

-My company use Google Apps (Gmail for corporate use) as our email platform
    -They are discontinuing the use of a BES
    -I read that Google is not going to support Gmail for BlackBerry App anymore (can us it, but won�t be updated). I know that currently works as people have bypassed our current BES (company blocks app downloads) but using the gmail App.
    -I want to buy the Bold 9330 on Sprint.
    -I�ve tried to set-up up a native email account on my BB, but it won�t recognize my @mycompany.com credentials in the email account section of the set-up app on the BB.

Can google apps even be set-up via BIS set-up?

What�s my options to get my email and calendar with sync? Help me stick with a BlackBerry!
    11-14-11 09:07 PM
    Google apps accounts can be setup via BIS and BIS will sync the Calendar. In theory it will also sync contacts but not well. I had zero problems setting the account up on my BB.

That said, without BES the BB loses a lot of its advantages. Both Android and the iPhone handle Google Apps email as well or better than a BB via BIS.
    Exiled Bulldawg likes this.
    11-14-11 09:57 PM
    I use BIS for Gmail, and GoogleSync app for calendar and contacts. I haven't tried the native contacts/calendar sync yet.
    11-14-11 10:16 PM
    ONCE the BES is gone, then you can try setting up google apps via BIS, until the BES is gone you can't try.

Because you want the 9930 I assume Sticking with BlackBerry in part is GREATLY due to form factor, which doesn't change either way with BIS or BES, you may discover your calendar doesn't update well, and since I think Google Calendar sucks, I unfortunately don't have a solution for you
    11-15-11 05:40 AM
    I wondered ... I tried to set up BIS while connected to a BES and it wouldn't let me.

Yes, I want the keyboard. Company wants us to go w/ iPhones (and not supporting Android) and I don't want to do that.

I was thinking my company was actually blocking my ability to use BIS with google apps somehow....?
    11-15-11 11:28 AM
    I wondered ... I tried to set up BIS while connected to a BES and it wouldn't let me.

Yes, I want the keyboard. Company wants us to go w/ iPhones (and not supporting Android) and I don't want to do that.

I was thinking my company was actually blocking my ability to use BIS with google apps somehow....?
    They might be Blocking as well

a friend reported that his Google Apps Rep told all of them they had to give up BlackBerry's as once they stopped using BES, BlackBerry's would be blocked from accessing in anyway

you should find out about that.
    11-15-11 12:54 PM
    Looking for some expert help, here�s the rundown:

-My company use Google Apps (Gmail for corporate use) as our email platform
    -They are discontinuing the use of a BES
    -I read that Google is not going to support Gmail for BlackBerry App anymore (can us it, but won�t be updated). I know that currently works as people have bypassed our current BES (company blocks app downloads) but using the gmail App.
    -I want to buy the Bold 9330 on Sprint.
    -I�ve tried to set-up up a native email account on my BB, but it won�t recognize my @mycompany.com credentials in the email account section of the set-up app on the BB.

Can google apps even be set-up via BIS set-up?

What�s my options to get my email and calendar with sync? Help me stick with a BlackBerry!
    You can also search CB and you will find an article about Google apps and BB support posted 2 weeks ago, After Nov there will not be anymore support but you can still DL the apps and use them w/o support.
    11-15-11 06:08 PM
    You can also search CB and you will find an article about Google apps and BB support posted 2 weeks ago, After Nov there will not be anymore support but you can still DL the apps and use them w/o support.
    You are confused. That article was about the google email app on BB. Google Apps accounts can be accessed fine via BIS.
    11-15-11 08:40 PM
    The company I work for switched from lotus to google. For google,we switched to using BES express, and it works just fine.
    11-15-11 09:30 PM
    They might be Blocking as well

a friend reported that his Google Apps Rep told all of them they had to give up BlackBerry's as once they stopped using BES, BlackBerry's would be blocked from accessing in anyway

you should find out about that.
    That's my concern. Right now it wont allow me to set up BIS, however my current BB has a BES policy on it, and it was suggested here it wont won't work while connected to a BES.

Assuming BIS set-up is myemailatmycompany.com and not myemailatgapps.mycompany.com when setting up?
    11-15-11 09:42 PM
    That's my concern. Right now it wont allow me to set up BIS, however my current BB has a BES policy on it, and it was suggested here it wont won't work while connected to a BES.

Assuming BIS set-up is myemailatmycompany.com and not myemailatgapps.mycompany.com when setting up?
    Check with your network admin; they may (probably) have disabled BIS capabilities in BES policy ...
    11-16-11 02:49 AM
    Google Apps Gmail, by default, does not have POP3 or IMAP enabled. Without those protocols enabled you will not be able to use the BIS email. We went through an identical transition and have everyone using the Gmail app and Google Sync. It works great. If your IT Dept chooses to enable POP3 or IMAP then you should be able to use the native BIS email services.

Even though the Gmail app is being discontinued and won't be available from Google, there will very likely be many places where it will still be available online.
    11-16-11 06:05 AM
    Google Apps Gmail, by default, does not have POP3 or IMAP enabled. Without those protocols enabled you will not be able to use the BIS email. We went through an identical transition and have everyone using the Gmail app and Google Sync. It works great. If your IT Dept chooses to enable POP3 or IMAP then you should be able to use the native BIS email services.

Even though the Gmail app is being discontinued and won't be available from Google, there will very likely be many places where it will still be available online.
    Dang, that was my concern. So if I walked into a store, or used a friends BB that's not connect to a BES, I should be able to set-up my email via BIS to test, right?

Probably have to go the gmail app route.
    11-16-11 11:14 PM
    BIS will work out, or BESx (you or the company can set it up and run it) it's free.
    I would stick with blackberry.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-17-11 01:36 AM
    Dang, that was my concern. So if I walked into a store, or used a friends BB that's not connect to a BES, I should be able to set-up my email via BIS to test, right?

Probably have to go the gmail app route.
    the answer is Yes, IF... Your Google Apps admin enables POP3 and/or IMAP for your Google Apps domain. If not, then the Google Gmail app is what will work. You can also get there via your browser but that's not near as handy.
    11-17-11 09:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD